“Terrible customer service!”
Review of Hotel on Rivington

Hotel on Rivington
Ranked #152 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 6 March 2012

We stayed at the rivington for 5 nights, during this time there was very little interaction with the staff as the lobby is on the 2nd floor, so we were not told that breakfast was included in our price , so we never ate breakfast there.When we checked out the girl on the desk processed my credit card without letting me look at the bill , when I went to sign I noticed she had charged us an extra $135 for the minibar which we did not use! When I told her she grudgingly refunded me, now back in Australia and I notice they have taken a further$135 off my credit card without my permission. I have emailed them twice with no reply.and called twice, I am pretty upset about this.

Room Tip: We upgraded to the corner room with a soaking tub
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
7  Thank Nicola R
There are newer reviews for Hotel on Rivington

Reviewed 21 February 2012

Everything was amazing, but I'll start with the service.... which was exceptional. From the concierge who greeted us, to the 5 or 6 times we needed something we forgot to pack, the staff was standing by to serve us. The entrance to the hotel captures the essence of NYC with their modern design and nightclub adjacent to hotel lobby. Checking-in was handled in 2 minutes at most as opposed to under-staffed front desks which make you wait on-line as they are on the phone.

Our room was simply MAGNIFICENT, and I urge any couple who is staying here to upgrade to the "King with soaking tub." The view we had on the 15th floor was amazing and having a skyline view in the shower plus a balcony made it worthwhile.

The layout of the room was great with a contemporary couch and coffee table set-aside from the plush King-size bed (which was very comfortable). We didn't use the bath, but the rest of the bathroom was spacious as there were something like 8 different mirrors and more than enough towels available. (which is an area where most hotels fall short)

I can't get over how fast the room-service was. The breakfast was brought up 15 floors in less than 10 minutes. I was impressed by how great the coffee tasted and the blueberry pancakes were "out of this world."

It was very convenient to have the nightclub right next-door. After dinner we took advantage of this and it was just great to be able to have a few drinks in a club rather than an average hotel bar.

We checked out about 1 hour after check-out time and the staff was not pushy in this regard. We were also accommodated by them allowing us to keep our bags in the hotel until 6:00pm, 6 hours after checkout.

What more can I say? It was a great stay and I will be coming back the next-time I stay downtown!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Andrew N
Reviewed 9 February 2012

My daughter and I stayed at the Rivington the first week of this month. It didn't start out so promising. First of all, we thought the lighting was too dim. We could hardly see anything! After a day and night, I finally figured out that there is a tiny switch next to each light switch, which is the dimmer. It just had to be turned up. It would be nice if the bellhop would show this to new guests.

Then, the service was slow to nonexistant. Our refrigerator stopped working, and the staff said no one could fix it until late the next morning. They did put some food we had bought in the hotel kitchen refrigerator.

The second day our room was still not made up when we returned late in the day. As we were waiting in the hotel lobby for our room to be cleaned, we were greeted by the new general manager, Marcanthony. He listened to our complaints, said he would take care of things, and comped us breakfast for the next morning (which was delicious, by the way).

After that, everything improved 100 percent. Service was immediate, our refrigerator was fixed, and we set about really enjoying the hotel. The beds have temper pedic mattresses, which are wonderful. My daughter's favorite thing is the steam shower room, and there is a huge tub as well. The room is spacious.

As for the street noise, there is some. We were on the third floor. It was only really bad on Saturday night. I had earplugs, so, no problem. The rest of the week, it isn't that bad.

I would recommend this hotel, and I'm pretty sure we will stay here again on our next visit to NYC. The location is great, if you love the LES, which we do.

Room Tip: If you like steam showers and large bathtubs, this is the place.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Jellish
Reviewed 6 February 2012

Just got back from a weekend here and I had such a great time that i had to write a review as soon as possible.
Let me start by saying that the staff here are SUPERB. It was a weekend for my birthday on the 3rd of feb, my husbands on the 5th, and we were also belatedly celebrating our 5th anniversary. The concierge, Cristina, went above and beyond helping us to plan dinners, and, much to our delight, managed to upgrade us to a high corner king. As the other reviews mentioned, this room is fantastic with superb views and an incredible soaking tub. What a treat! But did she stop there? No! A complimentary bottle of wine and red velvet cupcakes awaited us!
What a sweetheart

• Stayed: February 2012
Reviewed 5 February 2012

I've stayed at the Hotel on Rivington a few times, and I'm finally taking the time to write a review!

First of all, the staff is incredibly friendly and helpful, including the concierge, who has never steered me wrong! I've always received great ideas on where to eat (ended up at Sauce, which was such a surprising treat!) and where to get a good 4 mile jog in (East River).

The hotel itself is still super chic and comfortable - I LOVE the mattress, seriously wish I had purchased one of them instead of the new overly expensive mattress we recently bought. The views from my corner room on my latest trip were incredible as always, and make the space a perfect place to spend an evening catching up on work with a glass of wine in one hand. It's the kind of hotel I honestly look FORWARD to coming back to after a full day of business trip meetings.

The staff was incredibly accommodating on my most recent trip, hence my desire to finally write the review they deserve! I held a bunch of interviews at the hotel, and they kindly allowed me to use the conference room space for a few hours while it was empty, and then I relocated to the quiet, comfortable, cool second-floor lobby for the remainder. The complimentary coffee is a major plus!

Breakfast at Co-op is consistently great. I opted for an omelet both days and attempted the NY Post crossword (a copy of the paper is left at everyone's door, which is amusing!).

I love the little touch of fresh homemade cookies by the bed in the evenings, possibly most of all!

I'll be back and will continue to make this my NY hotel of choice!

Room Tip: Corner - truly the definition of a "room with a view"
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business