All reviews bagels madison square park flatiron building bathrooms and showers the flat iron building bunk beds variety of fresh fruit basic channels no window heavy luggage free breakfast budget stay great location new york bring earplugs no elevator third floor
Reviewed 3 October 2017

I found American Dream Hostel on the internet after 1st looking @ overpriced Airbnb rooms. We flew in Labor Day for 5 day stay. My friend arrived before checkin time & they were nice enough to let her into the room couple hrs. early. Our room shared a bathroom (toliet & shower) w. another room & there were no problems in this regard. An economy room w. dbl mattress top & bottom bunkbeds, sink, TV w. basic channels, desk, overhead lite. 2 minor room criticisms: metal bunkbed ladder more suited to children (as a 5'10" adult, descending this in the dark to use bathroom was tricky), no reading lamps so maybe a clip on lamp for upper bunks?
Breakfast room was cozy, Basque style (everyone sitting around a long picnic table), pots, pans, fridge, hot plate for cooking (I made an Italian dinner last nite for 5 travelers..no problem)breakfast is European style, fresh fruit, coffee, tea, cereal, pastries (fruit tarts!), milk, juice, protein bars.

Room Tip: no elevator so guests should be reasonably mobile, all rooms are on 2 & 3rd fl
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 September 2017

I stayed here for 2 weeks, and overall have a very favourable review. The location is good, very easy to get to subway lines, and also walking distance to attractions. Security was good, and I felt safe at the hostel and in the area. Due to the length of my stay I could not afford a hotel room for that period of time, but did not want to stay in a traditional hostel either. American Dream offered the perfect comprise, as I had a private room, although I did have to share facilities. You will also need to request a change of towels and/or linen, as there is service done on your room during the stay.The included breakfast has lots of options, including cereal,fruit and toast, as well as sweet pastries,donuts and biscuits.I found the hostel to be clean, except for the occasional guest who did not clean up after using the toilet. On one occasion I had to bring this up with the staff,and I wasn't impressed with the response. I think when a guest says there is a mess in the toilet,it should be attended to straight away and not left for the cleaner the next day. This was the one downside of sharing facilities, however you cannot control the behaviour of other guests. Otherwise I found the hostel very clean and tidy.It was generally quiet,however being on the same floor as reception and the kitchen, there was occasional noise. I stayed in a room looking out to the street,and never had a problem with traffic noise, probably because the weather was warm and I had to run the air conditioning.A couple of mornings I used earplugs and that was fine.I think you'd be hard pressed to find anywhere in New York that didn't have street noise, it's a very busy city! I would definitely stay here again, and was so thankful not to be staying anywhere near Times Square!

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank Jessica R
Reviewed 11 September 2017 via mobile

Echoing other reviews on here, this hostel is great value for money given its location and quality. My partner and I stayed in a private room on the third floor for six nights. We arrived at 11.30pm on a Sunday night, which wasn't an issue with the 24 hour reception desk. The rooms and bathrooms were small but clean, and while the bedroom could get a little stuffy even with the window open, the air conditioning worked a treat. There is quite a bit of road noise (like most places in NYC I would imagine) so bring earplugs of you're a light sleeper. There is no room cleaning service during your stay, which worked well for us as we could leave some valuables in the room and know that no one else would be coming and going. It felt very safe and secure, particularly with cameras in the hallways always being monitored by the person at reception. However what stood out for us above all was the breakfast. Every morning we were spoilt for choice with an assortment of bagels, pastries, donuts, cereals, breads, fruit and fresh made waffles. It always drew a crowd, which made it so easy to meet and chat with other travellers! Overall we would highly recommend American Dream as a safe, good value lower budget option.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 August 2017 via mobile

Accommodation in New York City always breaks the bank, no matter what. However, this place compensates you by giving you that little bit more than what other hostels offer. Room was very basic, like a cabin. But it is clean, and so are the common bathrooms. The best part would the included breakfast while no hot food is served, nor meat, there's a variety of fresh fruit, bagels, bread, donuts, warm waffles, orange juice and coffee. These items, apart from the waffles, are left in the pantry if they are not finished up at breakfast time, and guests can avail themselves to these as snacks as long as they are available.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled on business
1  Thank FMoz
Reviewed 28 July 2017 via mobile

American dream hostel was really great for us - as a couple we wanted a private room but didn't want to splash out on a fancy hotel. Our room was quite basic and the air conditioning unit slightly ancient but it was very clean and cosy. We never had to wait for the communal bathrooms, which were always spotless. The staff were great - not in your face but there 24/7 if you had a question or query. The free breakfast was something we LOVED, it was amazing! A real array of donuts, bagels, fruit, waffles and cereals. It ended up saving us a lot of money because we filled up on the delicious breakfast. A nice touch was that they left the food there after the breakfast cut off at 11. Great location, 2 minute walk to the 6 line subway, and about 10 minutes from the Empire State. On the roads surrounding the hostel there were lots of great restaurants and bars - so we didn't have to stray too far at night. We felt safe in the area at night, which stayed vibrant until late. Couldn't recommend this place enough - perfect for couples on a budget not intending to spend much time in the room.

Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple