“Nice Venue”
Review of Tocqueville

Tocqueville
Reserve with OpenTable
Tocqueville is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #81 of 14,590 Restaurants in New York City
Neighbourhood: Flatiron District
Cross street: Union Square and Fifth Avenue
Transit: Union Square 4,5,6,N,Q,R,L,F,M
Reviewed 1 December 2017

There were six of us and we ordered the tasting menu. It was all very good, but not great. The staff was good, but also, not great. And it was very quiet in the main dining room, even though many tables were full. Not sure I'd go back.

1  Thank Maria P

Reviewed 6 November 2017

Last evening I dined at Tocqueville and it was fantastic. I work in the neighborhood but rarely venture down 15th street. I ate at Tocqueville about 10 yrs ago when it was in its former location. This is a first class restaurant. The atmosphere is very classic and beautiful - white table cloths and fresh flowers and mood lighting. Tocqueville is small, so you never feel crowded. There is a small upstairs, where we sat. It's like being in a private dining room. The food is top quality and deliciously prepared. We shared some starter and everyone loved their main courses- duck, scallops - they were all great. Wonderful wine list with some reasonably priced bottles. Really great service as well. I highly recommend Tocqueville. I will dine there again in the future.

Reviewed 3 November 2017

My husband and I visited Tocqueville on a recent Saturday evening for dinner to celebrate my 40th birthday and were incredibly disappointed by the service, which tainted our entire experience. Because my husband had scoured reviews and put a lot of care into the choice of restaurant, one that has very positive reviews, it was all the more surprising.

First, we were provided the wine list (but not the menu of food) upon being seated. When the server appeared and asked for our drink order, we indicated that we'd like to see the menu before deciding (my husband is a somm and pairing is particularly important to him). The server noticeably rolled his eyes at us before going off to retrieve the other menu. Um, what?!

Then, when he returned and announced the specials (which included a truffle risotto), he took care to put extra emphasis and enunciation on the cost of the truffle dishes (NINETY dollars for the appetizer portion and ONE HUNDRED FORTY FIVE for the entree portion) in a way meant to suggest we certainly wouldn't be ordering them. We ignored his behavior and ordered. The first courses (corn soup for me, portobello risotto for him) arrived quickly and were, admittedly, delicious.

But then we sat. And waited. And waited. We noticed the table immediately next to us, which had ordered one of the tasting menus, was also waiting a long time between courses. Ultimately, after almost 30 minutes for us, just when we were about to ask the server if there was an issue, our entrees arrived. There was no explanation or even acknowledgment of the obvious delay. The table next to us then inquired about their delay, as they had been waiting twenty minutes, and were told brusquely that the kitchen had suddenly received a slew of orders and was backed up. At a restaurant of this caliber, I expect the kitchen to be able to manage table turnover and I certainly wouldn't expect the servers to pretend there is no delay, much less provide a borderline hostile response when addressing a diner's questions about it.

Our entrees were also good, but not particularly noteworthy and the rim of my plate (I had the filet of beef) was visibly greasy, which was quite a turnoff. At this point in the evening, we decided to go elsewhere for dessert and a nightcap. When I asked for the check, the server seemed inexplicably shocked that we weren't staying for coffee or a digestif. He then brought out a complimentary dessert (my husband must have informed them that it was my birthday, which makes his earlier behavior all the more disappointing if they knew it was a special occasion). The slice of cake was stale and pretty inedible, so it was hardly a treat.

I'm not sure what happened, but the server here turned an otherwise unremarkable experience into a bad one. Kitchen delays occasionally happen and it should be within the capabilities of the front of the house to deal with it. Apparently, our server was more interested in displaying his superiority than doing his job. Skip Tocqueville.

Reviewed 19 October 2017

Outstanding gourmet meal. Presentation and food quality excellent. Attentive staff - without hovering. Looks exactly like the photo above. They will uncork and serve your own wines - call ahead to make arrangements with the Sommelier.

Reviewed 17 October 2017

Better to have a table on the ground floor, good classical food (especially the risotto with mushrooms), good wine list and the sommelier has good recommandation, the service is nice but a bit strict.