2,105 results
All reviews central park south the executive lounge great location columbus circle park view new york guest relations junior suite historic hotel an upgrade times square lincoln center directly across the street carnegie hall concierge desk high floor nyc hotels
Reviewed 27 February 2018

We stayed for one week at Essex House with 4 kids over President's Day. We are Marriott Gold Rewards Members. Location of the hotel is excellent. We had a two-room Family Suite and a single King Room. We requested connecting rooms but unfortunately did not get it. Nor did we get a room with a view. Overall the staff were friendly and helpful. The rooms were not the cleanest and the bathroom was only half renovated. The tub and tile were old, worn, and dated. The breakfast in the Executive Lounge was excellent (included for Gold and Platinum members). They had scrambled eggs, bacon, potatoes, pancakes, sausage, toast & bagles, yogurt, pastries, fruit, tea & coffee, juice. In the evening they offered a couple of hot foods items, cheese and crackers, and dessert.

• Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank mamawith4kids
Sara S, Manager at JW Marriott Essex House New York, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2018

Dear mamawith4kids,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for taking the time to review your experience. We are thrilled that you enjoyed our ideal location just across from Central Park, dedicated guest service, and the delicious meals provided for our rewards members. We
are truly sorry for the situations you faced that were less than satisfactory. Please feel free to contact us directly to discuss your concerns further. Again, thank you for spending your week with us and we would love to welcome you back again in the future.

Reviewed 26 February 2018

I travel extensively as a biotech executive and rarely have time nor the inspiration to write reviews. I am making an exception here for my stay at the Essex House, where I booked the Central Park Deluxe Suite for a family vacation in NYC.
I am accustomed to luxury travel for work, but I was especially concerned with this family vacation--it is completely different when your wife and children are with you, and you so much want the very best treatment for your family! The staff at the Essex House delivered in so many ways.
First, the manager and people. Sarah Nesbit oversaw our much of out stay and took great pains to make our checkin seamless and added personal touches to make our stay enjoyable. She was incredibly welcoming to not only me, but especially my wife and children. She would greet us by name whenever she saw us. The children loved her! Additionally, guest relations were amazing. They knew the best way for parents to be happy was for the children to be happy. They were so pleasant and patient with the kids. Anna, Jasmin, Megan and Jenny would provide so many warm and hospitable touches--greeting the children as well as us, deliver surprise gifts for the kids (hot cocoa and balloons), free tickets to Wollman Ice Rink in Central Park, etc. Concierge services were also fantastic--great restaurant recommendations and reservations. Also housekeeping, who were uniformly polite, kind, and did a wonderful job.
Second, the room and executive lounge. The suite was clean, luxurious and had a stunning view of Central Park. The Executive lounge had great variety for breakfast, was especially convenient--great layout for adults and kids alike!
Third, location. Can't be beat. Perfect. Right on top of Central Park south.

In sum, our stay at the Essex House was fantastic, but what really distinguished the experience was the hotel staff, whose warmth and attention to detail made the experience really special.

1  Thank Jae K

Dear Jae K,

Thank you for taking the time to leave such a positive review of your stay with us. We are elated that our accommodating staff and beautiful spaces and views made for a wonderful experience for you and your family. We will certainly pass along your regards
to our team members who specifically improved your stay, as they will be thrilled that their roles made your overall experience so satisfactory. Thank you for choosing to stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 25 February 2018

The lobby is beautiful! The staff and rooms not so much!
I was in room 1417. Do not take this room. The bathroom door literally hit the toilet seat.
My head was hit many times! I asked to be moved. They told in the morning to come down and they would move me while we were gone for the day and pick up a new key when I came back. I came 7 hours later to learn, they did not move my luggage nor me.
They could not tell me why. I called the front desk at 8 pm, the first night, and NEVER did I EVER get a person! I needed a new TV remote and I need the Shades that did not work to work for privacy! Room service never came in and retrieved my breakfast tray , even when I called and asked.

Room tip: check the bathrooms before you say YES TO THE ROOM.
  • Trip type: Travelled solo

Dear Kymm I,

We appreciate that you took the time to share your valuable feedback with us. Although we are pleased that you enjoyed our beautifully renovated lobby, we sincerely apologize for the unfortunate situations you described. Your thoughts are incredibly important to us, and we will certainly pass this information along to our respective departments. Please feel free to contact us directly, and we would be happy to discuss your concerns further. We would love the opportunity to restore your faith in our hotel.

Reviewed 23 February 2018 via mobile

My daughter and I were thrilled to visit NYC for a special weekend celebration. From the moment we arrived, Georgia greeted us warmly and proceeded to take great care of us. She helped us find a room with a view of the city so my daughter could see the snow fall. The room was lovely, newly decorated and very clean. It appeared as if the 10th floor had been recently renovated. We had several questions and inquiries from concierge and Cameron and Howard were absolute pros. From recommending us great dining to helping print out our boarding passes. They were friendly and knowledgable. During our stay, we dined twice at Southgate Bar & Restaurant and the food was very good. On our last day, we had breakfast there and our server gave us two bananas to have as snacks during our trip back home. We will come back to this special place again and again!

Trip type: Travelled with family

Dear Yamila G,

Thank you for taking a moment to share your kind thoughts from your recent stay with us. From our newly renovated spaces to our beautiful rooms and intentional service, we are so pleased that you and your daughter enjoyed your weekend. We will certainly pass your regards along to Georgia, Cameron, and Howard; they will be elated that their service benefited your stay. Again, thank you for joining us in Manhattan and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 20 February 2018

It pains me to leave this review, but I wouldn't revisit this hotel. Decided to do a quiet staycation in the city over Presidents Day weekend. Quiet is what I did not receive. Despite the gorgeous view of South Central Park and a very comfortable bed, the electricity in my hotel room kept flickering and became quite annoying. Lights would consistently go on and off. I had friends visiting and we decided to leave the room, unsure if it was the old wiring or if it was haunted at this point. the internet connection did not work, so Netflix on their TV wasnt available either. The service in the bar downstairs was great, though. I was impressed. Cue to 5:45am when we are waken to a full, CLEAR, conversation of two men in the adjacent hotel room next door. I mean, to describe the walls as paper thin wouldnt be doing it justice. Cue to a few hours later at 8am, housekeeping knocks on my door. Couldnt fall back asleep. On top of all this, my friend noticed my duvet wasnt clean when we discovered a "male hair" on top of it the night before. Disappointing for what I had hoped for!!!

Room tip: choose a room with a view of south central park
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank april g
Sara S, Manager at JW Marriott Essex House New York, responded to this reviewResponded 22 February 2018

Dear April G.,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. Although we are so pleased you enjoyed our perfect proximity to Central Park, comfortable beds, and quality service, we are sincerely sorry for the experiences you had that were less than satisfactory. We have notified our staff and respective departments of your concerns and would be happy to discuss them further if you contact us directly. Again, thank you for choosing our hotel, and we would love the opportunity to restore your faith in JW Marriott Essex House.