“Very special food. Great for a romantic dinner. ”
Review of Empellon Cocina

Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighbourhood: East Village
Cross street: 6th and 7th Streets
Reviewed 17 September 2015 via mobile

We walked by Empellon Cocina and the crowed was buzzing.
We didn't have a reservation, but it was early (7:30pm) and we were seated right away. We shared the Guacamole (delicious) and the Lamb Barbacoa. So so yummy, tender and flavorful meat, fresh tortillas and a smoky sauce to die for. Also had great cocktails, the Hibiscus/Sparkling cocktail was excellent. I would come back here again and again! The meal for 2 was about $110 with tip.

1  Thank Diana Z

Reviewed 15 September 2015

Two of us arrived a tad early for our dinner reservation at Empellón’s “Kitchen Table.” So, we sipped margaritas at the bar waiting for the four-person table to be ready to seat us. Part way through our drinks, the bartender asked if we’d like something to snack on while we finished our drinks, and we said we didn’t think so as we were soon to begin the 22-course diner. He smiled, and said, “Yes, you’ll have enough to eat soon.” That was an understatement. It’s difficult to describe the Kitchen Table meal, which is prepared and served at the table by the restaurant’s chef/owner. There’s far too much to describe. Maybe it can suffice to say that odds are this dinner will be unlike any other Mexican meal you’ve ever eaten: familiar ingredients used in novel ways; unfamiliar ingredients used in familiar, but tweaked ways; everything tasty as one might hope; everything prepared with surprising creativity, and presented with great attention to visual appeal. Courses are small, although with 22 coming, one-by-one, you’re not likely to finish dessert wanting more. You may, however, finish as we did, trying to think where you can get the money for your next visit. The meal is pricey. That said, though, it’s worth every penny. We’ve scheduled another dinner two months later. (Note that my middling quality photos don't do justice to the actual dishes)

Reviewed 30 July 2015

We enjoyed the guacamole with pistachios, the octopus with black mole sauce and-- most of all--the wild spinach tacos.

Reviewed 2 July 2015

Empellon Cocina is one of my favorite restaurants in the city.

The guacamole with pistachios is delicious, but I usually don't order this since this fills me up unless I'm with a big party. The squid with black mole, lamb tartare and epazote flan are standout starters. The tacos change pretty frequently, but the fried Maine smelt tacos have been a staple on the menu for a while and are a must-order when I go. I usually don't order a main dish on the menu since I like to order one the "for two" items; however, I did enjoy the steamed fish and steak dishes. For the shared items, you can't go wrong choosing anyone of them. The carnitas, the lamb and the lobster are all great dishes.

What keeps me coming back here are the flavors, frequent changes to the menu (always something new to try) and creativity of the food/drinks.

Reviewed 11 June 2015 via mobile

We reserved the new tasting menu for 4 lucky guests. The high table has a great view of the bustling kitchen. The chef was our guide and guru on this exiting 18 course menu. Very inventive and fun. Most bites are impressive, but at times flavors can be a little repetitive. But there is a clear creative force going on here, very respectful of traditional Mexican flavors yet all with a modern twist. The ambience is great and informal. Service couldn't be better!!! Deserts are a definite high point in the meal, really outstanding. Worth insisting on the exclusive booking.