“Trendy but Great Asian Fusion”
Review of Tao

Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Midtown
Cross street: Park & Madison
Transit: 4, 5, 6 Trains at 59th Street R, N, W Trains at 5th Avenue
Description: A 16-foot Buddha, which floats above a reflecting pool filled with Japanese carp, presides over the scene at Tao. A favorite destination for celebrities and athletes, this Pan Asian restaurant specializes in authentic Hong Kong Chinese, Japanese and Thai cuisines. Tao has three levels of dining including the prized "Skybox" which offers views of this former movie theater unparalleled in New York. In addition to its 300 seats, Tao includes a sushi bar, lounge and two bars at which to enjoy the food and the show. Appetizers range from $8 - $18; Entrees: $16 -$39. Offering $27.50 Prix Fixe Lunch Menu year round.
Reviewed 16 September 2017

Needed a 9:30pm place for an after-show dinner off-Broadway near 59th St. Found Tao on Open Table. Walked in to throbbing beat of dance music and pretty lavish decor, thinking we'd maybe made a mistake and booked a $200pp dinnner place. Turns out the food was fabulous, service very attentive and only $50pp before tip--not bad at all for NYC. I had the scallops in a scrumptious, slightly spicey/butter sauce with Shitake mushrooms; my friends had excellent snapper and sushi. We shared gyoza and eggplant sides. Quite the people watching, too!

Kyle P, Marketing Coordinator at Tao, responded to this reviewResponded 19 September 2017

Dear Michael W,

Thank you for joining us at TAO. We are delighted to hear that you and your guests enjoyed your evening with us and we hope to see you again soon!

Kyle P.
TAO Group

Write a ReviewReviews (3,176)

Reviewed 16 September 2017 via mobile

While in New York we decided to have one mildly more expensive meal and booked ourselves at Tao. It is a very attractive restaurant that we both really enjoyed. The server was fantastic and offered up some great suggestions which we took. Food came out in a quicker manner than I preferred but the quality was outstanding. Great place to go in midtown.

Reviewed 15 September 2017 via mobile

I recently returned to Tao with family that was visiting from Miami. The food has improved since last time, I was pleased. We were a big table and everyone enjoyed the lunch special of $31 for three courses. I had the chicken papaya salad and the branzino with greens. It was all very tasty. The pad Thai was good as well. The desserts were really good, love the banana pudding! The service was good and nice ambiance. I was surprised that they charge $9 for each bottle of water, usually restaurants don't charge for the water bottles they refill from the machines in their kitchens, this was not packaged water. That bothered me a lot.

Reviewed 14 September 2017

After all this years this restaurant is still very good and happening. Great to people watch and great Chinese food. My always fav is the peking duck.

Reviewed 13 September 2017 via mobile

I come here often . Is close to my office and is not terribly busy during lunch . I really like the decor and the ambiance . The food is very good and the Fix price of $30 gets you appetizer, main course and dessert. I had the the short ribs for appetizer, Branzino for main course and tangerine sorbet with fresh fruit for dessert and everything was delicious ! I'm never disappointed . The food came quickly and the attention was good. I'll continue to come here whenever I feel like having Asian fusion food.

Kyle P, Marketing Coordinator at Tao, responded to this reviewResponded 14 September 2017

Dear clelia g,

Thank you for sharing you review and for being a loyal guest at TAO. We are delighted to hear that TAO is one of your go-to spots for Asian Fusion and we hope to see you again soon and often!

Kyle P.