“Appalling”

Price range: USD 10 - USD 20
Cuisines: Deli
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Midtown
Description: Benash Delicatessen has been an NYC favorite for more than 15 years. Stop by for a drink or one of our famous corned beef sandwiches.
Reviewed 6 April 2018

I stepped into Benash for a late breakfast on a Thursday about Noon. I was greeted promptly and shown to a small table (I was dining alone in town on business). They handed me a lunch menu, however since "breakfast, lunch and dinner" was advertised, I asked if I could still get breakfast. Certainly was the reply and I was given a breakfast menu. I settled on a greek omelette with rye toast and a side of sausage, with coffee. The coffee had that burnt, been on the burner too long, taste. The toast came out next, alone, the bread half toasted, half not - passable. Next came the omelette - the waitress had already warned me breakfast potatoes were no longer available (no issue there). It was ok, I've had worse. What really surprised me was the platter of sausage placed down next to it. 4 italian (italian!, not breakfast) sausage links, split in half, and cooked to their dry, lonely death. Very strange indeed and completely inedible. I did not complain as I was on a corporate card and could satisfy myself with the omelette and some water and get out of there. I couldn't help but notice, though, a table nearby with three older women. One woman had ordered what looked like pastrami or corned beef on rye. I watched as she picked open the sandwich, inspecting each piece of meat, looking for one that was not riddled with fat. It could not be found. She sent it back and looked completely and utterly unhappy, while her companions finished their meals. Do not, do not, frequent this establishment. I would have given it no stars if I could.

Reviewed 31 March 2018 via mobile

If your looking for a convenience food , Hot dog , Burger , Grilled sandwich BD ticks all the boxes.
Reasonable prices, efficient service , ok food .

Reviewed 14 March 2018

food was horrendous, service was horrendous, as we entered the waiter was very aggressive and had already argued with two customer tables before we had ordered - oh how we wish we had just walked out there and then.
dont go, waste of money.

2  Thank kat2764
Reviewed 14 March 2018

Sorry for delay in reviewing, found business card in my travel pack. Rahman was our waiter and provided excellent service. It was a little pricey but did not break the bank. It was not real busy and convenient during our stay in NYC. Not sure why reviews are low, we enjoyed it and after close to 200 reviews, can't agree with reviews. I had not had such a good meatloaf sandwich as delicious as theirs. Would have wanted to visit it again, but our trip came to an end. Hope to see some good reviews in the near future. Sometimes when the meal serving is rushed, the quality of the meal loses in the end. Relax and enjoy your visit wherever you go. Once again Rahman did a good job in taking care of us during our visit.

Date of visit: May 2017
Reviewed 14 March 2018

Hit this deli on our first day in New York. Food was pretty good. Service could have been a little more attentive. Cheesecake was really good. Decent location. French onion soup was pretty good