“It aint what it used to be”

Morton's The Steakhouse
Reserve with OpenTable
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #184 of 13,681 Restaurants in New York City
Price range: USD 50 - USD 80
Good for: Business meetings, Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighbourhood: Midtown
Description: Thank you for choosing Morton's The Steakhouse - New York (Midtown Manhattan). We look forward to serving you. USDA prime-aged beef, succulent seafood, fine wines, chilled cocktails, decadent desserts, crisp white linens and exceptional service...Morton's serves The Best Steak Anywhere. For more than 30 years, Morton's is the steakhouse by which all others are measured. For special events, private dining Boardroom information, worldwide location listing, gift cards and online reservations, visit www.mortons.com. To ensure we can accommodate any special requests, please call the restaurant directly to confirm.
NYC/Vail
“It aint what it used to be”
Reviewed 5 March 2012

"The end of an era"! Blame it on the transfer of ownership to the conglomerate Landrys, but it is not what it once was, not by a longshot!
I have dined here pleasantly (and at branches around and out of the country)for many years, and until now have been pleased but it is a far different animal since the recent change in ownership. The music that is played is something between "techno" and disco and not appropriate for an upscale steakhouse - it was downright disturbing! The staff is almost indifferent, perfunctorily going through the motions, and it is difficult to find the same server (or waiter) coming back to you with any regularity. Perhaps the biggest complaint - the meat. I know steak. I've butchered a side of shell steaks many times. A New York Strip (which the restaurant claims is its "premier" cut) is usually seven or so inches long and varies in width from about one inch at the end to the widest point being perhaps three plus inches, and keeps a thin band of fat (for flavor) along one side. I am not talking about thickness which fo course is controllable and will dictate the ultimate weight of the portion. My NY Strip was round (something I have never seen) and was probably a boneless rib eye or least ways looked like one. This should not have been sereved as a NY Strip -especially not at the price charged. Just as egregious, allmost every portion of meat (5) at our table was done one degree too much. The medium rare was medium, etc.
The hash browns were good and the asparagus were excellent, but that is not enough. I am afraid that this once veneerable chain will now slip further into the morass of so so and overpriced. Ruth Cris, Del Frisco I am coming back, and of course none of them, even at their best, can equal Peter Lugers - but it is just so difficult to get a reservaton at the later.

• Visited March 2012

• Turkish first
Kent, England
“Well worth a visit”
Reviewed 2 March 2012

The wife and I ate here in August 2011 whilst on our honeymoon. We were just passing and needed to get out of the heat so stopped for a drink. Paul and Paul the bar tenders made us feel very welcome and younger Paul was kind enough to explain the ins and outs of baseball (I educated him on cricket), we felt so welcome that we returned for dinner which was delicious. Served before our starter was the most memorable bread (huge and circular) and even though our mains took too long to come out, we still rate this place highly and will eat here again when we return to new york...

Brussels, Belgium
“Average”
Reviewed 1 March 2012

Together with 6 colleagues we wanted some good steaks and headed up to Morton's on Manhattan. The service was very good, but we had a table between to the kitchen door and stairs, so traffic was at times annoying.

Still suffering from jet lag we opted for the 'reduced' portions, which were surprisingly small. Being European I tend to think of US sizes as either XL or L, however this time it qualified for a medium size. Which was a good thing. And the preparations were right on too.

This was not the first time at a Morton's steakhouse and in general we had a good experience. However I would try out other steakhouses next time in NYC before returning.

• Visited February 2012
Kansas City
“Cold lamb chops but delicious seabass!”
Reviewed 20 February 2012

We love all things Morton's... The yummy puffed, warm onion bread, the oversized side dishes and the exceptional entrees...husband had lamb chops and had to send them back twice. First they were overlooked, then undercooked and cold.by the time they came out I was done eating my yummy sea bass. Manager tried to make it right by comping us on the chops and offering an after dinner drink... we'll be back. Still love Morton's!

London, United Kingdom
“Amazing steaks...best I have ever tasted”
Reviewed 13 February 2012

Went to Mortons for dinner with my partner& 4 other friends from US... They recommeded this steakhouse & I just found the experience amazing...the waiters were very good and professional and very friendy with excellent manners...
The amazing food stared off with the most tasty bread.. followed by a course of seafood platter.. absolutley gorgeous...we prefer the hot platter to the cold platter although the oysters were excellent...
But beware the portions here are very large, well certainly in comparison to UK standard.. we certainly found this out when the staeks arrived.... it really was the most amazing steak I have ever tasted!!! It was very large and in the end we couldnt finish it and took the remaining HALF home even though I felt i ate so much so that gives you an indication of the size of it.

I definitely would recommend this place and you have to come here if U are a steak lover.. been to other renowed steakhouses around the world but this place is the standard from which I base the others to. Would I go back? Already have.. but not to this one but to the other chains . In fact I do check out if the cities i am visiting have mortons then I make an effort to go there...so far Vegas, HK & Macau...it is not cheap but you will still leave the restaurant thinking great value... well for us anyway..

Thank you for the experience...

• Visited April 2011