“Sweet banana Nutella medetai”
Review of Otafuku

Otafuku
Ranked #4,981 of 14,730 Restaurants in New York City
Price range: USD 0 - USD 20
Cuisines: Asian, Japanese
Neighbourhood: East Village
Neighbourhood: East Village
Reviewed 6 April 2018

This would be a hit in my Home country Belgium. Small hole in the wall place that serves Japanese food items. It took some 20 minutes to make the medetai, but it was worth it. It’s sweet with banana and Nutella, soft and Pretty. Not much place inside to sit and a bench outside.

Reviewed 11 January 2018 via mobile

I have revisited this food outlet in Little Tokyo and was looking forward to my favorite Japanese comfort food Okonomiyaki (as you like).
I have called ahead and asked my order to be well done (+20 mins).

This cabbage pancake delicately seasoned on pancake batter topped with teriyaki sauce and fish flakes.
(mayo optional). $10 for two patties.

On arrival, the okonomiyake was sitting on a hot plate (low) and I asked whether it was ready. The manageress assured it was well done.
After a first bite into it it was obvious the order was half done, more like porridge than pancake. Disappointing. Will not be back...

Reviewed 2 October 2017

Takoyaki is my absolute favorite street food. Having made it myself many times I feel like I have turned into a bit of an expert in takoyaki-land. Otafuku gave me a really great takoyaki experience for a price of $12 I was able to try a combo of takoyaki and okonomiyaki. This is absolutely worth it! The only reason why it gets only 4/5 is that I saw how they made takoyaki from scratch through the window that parts the dining area of the place from the kitchen but in the end I got the takoyaki that were already prepared and kept warm. They were still very good but getting the piping hot ones right out of the pan is what makes the takoyaki perfect for me. I need to basically burn my mouth! :D as soon as the balls sit for a while they loose a bit if the perfect texture which is a little bit crisp outside and very gooie on the inside. However, still one of the best places in town for takoyaki! Highly recommended!

Reviewed 9 January 2017

Went here to try takoyaki and the consistency was much different than I expected. The flavor was good but it was very gooey inside so I was not a big fan. I think that's just how it is supposed to be. It was a nice experience to try it. They do have yummy taiyaki filled with red beans that are the size of my palm!

Reviewed 6 September 2016 via mobile

We stopped by today to try some Okonamayaki. I spent 6 years on Okinawa and never had any . We got one pork and one shrimp and they were good, not great but good. There was a lot more shredded cabbage than I thought there would be but it was quite good. The food was prepared quickly and it was hot. Friendly staff too. If you are wanting to try some Okonamayaki in NYC I recommend Otafuku!