“Unique and delicious!”

Cuisines: African, Ethiopian
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Upper West Side
Reviewed 5 January 2016 via mobile

This was my first experience at an Ethiopian restaurant, and let me tell you.. I am definitely going back!

You eat with your hands, which was definitely new to me.. And the food is served on family style platters.

We got a bottle of blackberry honey wine, which to my surprise, was absolutely delicious!

We ordered one vegetarian platter for two and one meat platter for two. The four of us were able to finish both of them, but not because we were still hungry.. It was just so delicious we couldn't stop!

I highly recommend a visit. Great Staff, cool atmosphere, excellent food. And not a bad price tag either!

1  Thank CLCropsey

Reviewed 24 December 2015

We reserved for an early dinner for a party of 10, including three octogenarians one of whom was celebrating his 89th birthday, in advance of attending the Barnard-Columbia Choir's performance of the Messiah at the nearby Church of the Ascension. We were warmly greeted and seated even though some in our party, enmeshed in the Lincoln Tunnel traffic, arrived later than expected. We passed that waiting time by having some meat and vegetable sambusas--delightful renditions of this baked Ethiopian version of the egg-roll, samosa, or borek. Awash's sambusas are light and flavorful, subtlety spiced, and not greasy. The accompanying sauce was too spicy for some of our guest's tastes. That led us to ask the staff to make the main courses mild. They obliged, perhaps to the detriment of those of us who enjoy our Ethiopian food a bit more robustly flavored. Instead of ordering individually, we put ourselves in the hands of the staff, who brought three large platters of assorted stews--including an especially good one of goat (or lamb, we thought goat), excellent collards, exceptional yellow lentils (and some nice whole lentils or beans of some sort, as well), and a delicious "dry" (but in a good way) chicken dish. I have had much better injera; Awash's is less fermented and flatter tasting than others and curiously served in cut up rolled pieces. Our waitresses were attentive throughout the meal; keeping water glasses full and other drink orders coming quickly, even though by this time the restaurant was pretty full. They even served a homemade birthday cake we brought in and stayed calm amidst the rush of trying to finish and pay in time for us to get to the performance. I would definitely return to Awash without the "please make it mild" restriction! Thank you for being such good hosts to our party.

3  Thank Vicarmuddlebush
Reviewed 13 December 2015

Love this place! My daughter and I always order one vegetarian combo and one meat combo to go and it lasts for days. And recently I took my sister who had never had Ethiopian food and now is raving about it! She also took lots of photos of the paintings of Ethiopian leaders and of the stained glass lamps with images of Coptic Christian saints.

The combo platters are great for those of us who like everything -- you get a big platter of soft injeera bread (a little bit sourdough) that you rip off and scoop up the various stews and vegetables with. I always eat too much. Oh, on the whole platter there is only one dish that might be called spicy - for those who are afraid of "spicy" -- you'll find lots to love here. The restaurant itself is casual, so just relax and enjoy the flavors and the servers. Every single one has a story.

1  Thank Alice H
Reviewed 26 October 2015

This restaurant is only three block fro my apartment but I wouldn't eat there unless the food were good. The ambiance was delightful and the unusual spices are special. I had the shrimp appetiser and rice with papadam. My husband had spinich paneer which was tasty and rich.
The service was good and the waiter was helpful. We have eaten there three times and never had a bad meal. It's always full.

2  Thank myrabetty
Reviewed 9 July 2015

We've dined at Awash three or four times now. The food is always good. I would always recommend the yellow split peas and at this last visit the cabbage was out of this world. Delicious and complex spices. Good meat. Cold beer. The service, while slow, is polite and friendly. We just introduced our 15-year-old to this cuisine and he loved it. There are lots of Ethiopian restaurants in Manhattan. I think Awash is one of the best!

1  Thank Ruth N