“Yum”
Review of Tropical Sensation

Tropical Sensation
Reserve with OpenTable
Tropical Sensation is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6,942 of 14,216 Restaurants in New York City
Price range: USD 30 - USD 30
Cuisines: Caribbean
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighbourhood: Upper West Side
Cross street: 107
Reviewed 23 January 2017

Food and drinks were delicious. Pina Coloda was made nice and strong. Tight place but very lovely. Staff was very friendly. Would differently eat there again.

Reviewed 18 October 2016

Good Dominican food. Certain items are extremely reasonably priced. Cheap mixed drinks most weekdays.

Reviewed 28 October 2015

We stopped by one morning for breakfast. We were in a hurry and the server expedited our meals. Everything was very flavorful and good. The coffee was very good too. Reasonable prices considering you're in NYC. A fun atmosphere too. They were very busy in the evenings when we walked by.

Reviewed 31 July 2015

I start the review by saying I am actually Venezuelan, but I love caribbean style food that is very similar to my home country.

Having beeen in NY as a tourist for over a week I was feeling a bit homesick missing food like I would eat at home, so I set out to find out a place in NY that wasn't ridiculously expensive ($20 + per entree), but wasn't a shabby home kitchen.

It was honestly hard for me to find one close to Harlem until I stumbled with this place.

Now back to the food, average drink is about $3 and Monday to Friday they have $5 mojitos which are pretty good.

Food is an assortment of Caribbean spanish meals, featuring rice, beans, plaintains (Both ripe an green), cassava/yuca beef pork and chicken.

I had two fried pork steaks which were simply delicious, nicely fried yet not overly dry, they tasted like chicharron if you've ever had them.

I asked for rice and black beans as side, with a portion of fried sweet plantains, and they tasted just as they would at home, none of that overly mushy blackened riped plantain served in many places, sweet yet still firm, just yum.

Their ropa vieja is probably the best seasoned and tasting ropa vieja I've had in the states, with hints of cilantro and peppers simply great.

Food overall was a 10/10 for me, the portions are simply crazy if you are from outside the US, a plate could feed 2 persons easily (I ended up eating the leftovers for breakfast).

Price is a 9/10 with about $13-15 per plate of authentic tasting food.

I would not ever doubt coming back hear again If I had a latin caribbean yearning.

Place could fit at least 70 eaters, and service was quick, waiting about 10 mins after ordering then served.

Reviewed 21 April 2013

We went to this place as it was close to the hotel.
The place was crazy! Music was extremely loud, we couldn't hear each other speak.
There were people dancing around the restaurant. The food was ok but was cheap in comparison to some other places we ate.
Can't say I'd go again