“Wonderful Japanese BBQ”

Gyu-Kaku Times Square
Reserve with OpenTable
Gyu-Kaku Times Square is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #338 of 15,761 Restaurants in New York City
Price range: USD 31 - USD 50
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighbourhood: Midtown
Cross street: between 8th and 9th Ave
Description: This is a new Gyu-Kaku restaurant in New York city, in addition to the ones in the East Village and Mid-Town that you already have listed.
Reviewed 11 September 2017

We had lunch at Gyu Kaku Japanese BBQ prior to our Sunday matinee at the Sondheim theater. We had 12pm reservations and were seated immediately upon arrival. Since this was our first visit, our server gave us a full rundown on how the menu worked, including ordering for the grill. Two in our party chose to share a grill order for 2 people. This consisted of soups, salads, dumplings, meats for grilling and dessert. Two in our party ordered Sukiyaki Bibimbap, one vegetarian and one beef. The final entree was Garlic Fried Noodles. We also shared egg soup, Tuna Tataki, Buffalo Spring Rolls and Shrimp Dumplings. We finished up with ice cream and s'mores.
The food was absolutely wonderful. There was so much flavor in each item that there was no need to add any additional sauces or dips. The beef, chicken and shrimp was perfectly marinated and grilled up so tender. The service was also exceptionally good although we had to explain that we had a 2 pm curtain call in order to get the check quickly.
I normally don't seek out chain restaurants but I can't wait to try other Gyu Kaku locations.

Reviewed 10 September 2017 via mobile

My Boyfriend and I celebrated one of our most cherished memories here!

Danny our server was amazing. We asked lots of questions and he was very patient and helpful throughout the entire night. Keep up the great work. We will definitely be back because of your incredible service.

Our meat sampler we chose was amazing. We also thoroughly enjoyed the coco-mo drink was was absolutely incredible.

Reviewed 18 August 2017 via mobile

Went to this restaurant yesterday. Lady who welcomed us was friendly and told us to wait 5-10 mins for our table. A guy took over from her and we ended up waiting much longer for our table. he said staff were on break and the table needs to be cleaned.. mind you half the restaurant was empty... when he took us to our table he wasn't happy and threw the menu card. That was really rude.

The food was good, though they forgot to serve our veggies that was in the menu. Asked the waiter for a replay as we were done eating already and we wanted the mochi ice cream as it was the same price. at first he said he will ask our waiter, but came back saying it wasn't available. I knew he was lying. True enough when we had our dessert, we saw them serving that to another customer. Just great. we even said to pay for the mochi ice cream and they still refused...

The staff were not attentive and our table was incomplete after waiting for what seemed like 15-20 mins in a half empty restaurant. The waitress wasn't happy when we asked for the dipping bowl like all the other table has.

I'd say if you don't mind bad service, go for the food. it's delicious. Or, try a different branch who might have better service. I won't be coming back to this location.

Reviewed 18 August 2017

This was my first time trying Japanese BBQ and was something the concept of DIY cooking was appealing to me. I went there for lunch with my son who has eaten at a number of different Gyu-Kaku restaurants in the Northeast as he really enjoys the food and the concept. Following his lead, we both had the "Make" your own lunch special where you pick three meats. Our choices were Toro Beef, Bistro Hanger Steak and Yaki Shabu Beef. Of the three cuts, my personal favorite was the Toro Beef, primarily since it was the only cut that was not marinated. I felt the marinated meats were extremely salty which is I'm not a fan of (maybe the other items like the Pork Belly or garlic shrimp have lower sodium content). The Bistro Hanger Steak was the thickest cut of the three allowing you more flexibility to cook it to your liking (i.e. medium rare).

Service there was very good and the booth was clean. The waitress even suggested we sign up for the smartphone app since doing so could have possibly resulted in a $10.00 off (your next visit) being awarded that same day to use on this visit (no such luck, I didn't get the $10.00 during our lunch).

My son asked what I thought and I shared with him what I wrote above, but added "these days, it's all about the 'experience', and it is a fun experience with your close family or a group of close friends.

So if you're looking for an "experience", I would recommend trying Gyu-Kaku. I might even go back to try some of the other menu choices to find the mix of proteins that suits my palate!

Reviewed 15 July 2017 via mobile

It was average. I've been to many better places, but a colleague recommended it. It was still a good time due to the company, but I've been to much better.