“not expect too much except good location”
Review of St. Marks Hotel

St. Marks Hotel
Ranked #394 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 25 May 2012

location is amazing in the heart of Union Square, but the room is not as good as location. if you will not waste your time in the room, this hotel worths!at least there is no bed bugs :)

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank musicinema

Reviewed 31 March 2012

After finish the stay in Hilton Manhattan East Hotel and I want to stay one more night in NYC, then I turn to St. Mark Hotel at St. Mark Place which near University, around it have lot of restaurant and bar, the restaurant type include Japanese, Taiwan drink, Russian food, steak house, pizza (only US$1 per pieces, hehehehee). and around there also have a vintage shop which selling the second hand stuff like shoes, boot, leather jacket some of them really nice and not really expensive.

The hotel is small sand seems a budget hotel, no fancy decoration, no resaurant, it is only provide accomodation. My friend search a hotel not expensive with me and we walk there, one single room with bathroom only US$100 !!! Do you know it is so hard to found a room in the central of NYC middle town which is so near everything eating and buy and sightseeing. subway is not far away, plus tax it only charge me US$110.

Room is small just have a regular bathroom which including shower, sink, toilet bowl, the water seems not really hot and a bit mal-function cause I turn the hot water for 1 mins but it seems not hot and I didn't get help. The toilet seat have cigarette burning mark, the sink for face washing is so narrow. But it still provide tower , shower gel, shampoo, conditioner.

On the wall side there have a heater, at the beginning there have some sound and I worry will it explose ??? it won't. After soon it getting quite. I live in 1 floor, the view is facing the street, nice and wide, full of sunshine and tree, facing a building ( I think it is a school or smiliar) by a widing road, like you living in a quarter, with nice view, building, tree, square, ....despite the window is narrow and long.

Inside the room not much facilities, but the essential item it will have like heate, TV, bathroom. But there have NO safety box, wrobeboard with door, mp3 speaker, Everything is simply and basic. Want do you expect for a room just cost u US$100 in NYC so bustling and expensive place. Everything eat, shop, sightseeing is so nearby, and that place I think is the cheaper place for eat and shop and drink (lot of bar around), and lot of trendy and modern ppl there, handsome guy and beautiful girl walk around. Nearby have University, so this area is fully of energy.

If you have not must expect for a hotel or a room and you got not much money, this hotel is really suit for you. At least you got your own bathroom in the room.

Room Tip: Choose the lower floor like 1st floor, if you choose the high floor (maybe 3 or 4 floor) you sure yo...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank jamyou
Reviewed 16 March 2012

Stayed here for 1 night. Pleasant staff, felt safe, great price, descent bed, fun location for young adults and tidy. I didn't come home with bed bugs and didn't spend a fortune, good enough for me!

Only downsides: Cash only, the ATM wasn't working either. COLD shower. I didn't say anything about the shower since it was the 1 night so I can't say they did or didn't attempt to fix it. Loud street. I took a sleeping pill so I slept straight through the night, but one of my friends said she woke up. These are minor things and I will absolutely stay there again.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 February 2012

Location in pretty awesome, just beginning of the 3rd avenue. Area is cool ( hippie/arty/punk/alternative) lot´s of little shops to visit and pleanty of nice restaurants near by. Just few steps to Astor Pl tubestation.

Hotel is really basic, nothing fancy but clean. Bit worn out thou. People at the reception were helpful. Our room was at the first floor, windows just across the noisy street. Take ear-plugs with you!!
Room was a bit small for two of us and there weren´t a proper wardrobes.
There was a cafe/deli downstairs of us, so our room was pretty hot. It was handy thou because it was quite chilly outside.

Our room was cleaned every day and towels were changed too.

Overall i would stay there again because of the location and price!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank kika1969
Reviewed 7 January 2012

My 18-year-old daughter & I stayed here during the time of the year when hotel prices in NYC are the highest (December 26-January 1). Even Saint Marks Hotel quoted their regular rates but added $50 for New Year's Eve night. But even so, the total cost for the week was way under any other hotel I researched ($1250). By the way, THEY DO NOT TAKE CREDIT CARDS!! So bring Traveller's Cheques or a large amount of Cash (which I do not suggest you do while traveling!) I booked the largest (and most expensive) room: "Suite: 2 Full-size beds Deluxe". It was nothing fancy and was only a step up from a hostel. The room was actually two rooms with a partial wall between. We each had our own small bathroom (very small shower stall), flatscreen tv with remote, one chair and an open cabinet (with two top shelves) which had three hangers for our clothes. The full- (or double-) sized beds were comfortable with four pillows of varying softnesses. Daily maid service was good--except that they got a bit stingy on the hand towels as the week went on. Noise from the street was typical of anywhere in Manhattan. We just turned on the individual A/C units and let them run all night. (Even though it was an A/C unit, we could adjust the temperature to make them blow hot air.) The BIG NEGATIVE of this hotel is that there is a LARGE FLIGHT OF STEEP STAIRS to get to the hotel office. We asked for a room on the lowest floor and we were placed on the second floor. Guess what? There is ANOTHER LARGE FLIGHT OF STEEP STAIRS to get to the second floor!!! I didn't venture up to the upper floors, but I assume there are more stairways... Thankfully, the hotel staff was kind enough to help us with our large suitcases upon check-in and check-out. My daughter & I are of average fitness and it was rough for us to climb those stairways at the end of every day after going to museums, sightseeing & shopping!

The best part of the stay was Ray's Pizza Bagel Cafe that is located below the hotel. They had a huge selection of food--open morning 'til late at night--with reasonable prices! I have a very restricted diet (for medical reasons) and even I could find something yummy to eat! Another great place is "The Smith" Restaurant on 3rd Avenue. It is a great bistro-style eatery. We ate a delicious Saturday brunch there.

The area where Saint Marks Hotel is located is ok. My nephew (who is in finance) lives a couple of blocks away, so I figured it was safe for a mom & daughter. The hotel entrance is surrounded by tattoo shops so the atmosphere is a bit rough. Access to subway is a couple of blocks away. Also, K-mart is close if you've forgotten to pack any necessities. We stopped in there to buy cheap knit hats due to the temperature dropping to 25F!

Room Tip: Ask for the Lowest floor available due to very steep stairways!!!
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family