“I don't want anyone to know about this place!”
Review of St Marks Hotel

St Marks Hotel
Ranked #398 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Canada
“I don't want anyone to know about this place!”
Reviewed 11 November 2011

But here goes anyway:
This is the only place I like to stay in NYC. I "discovered" it the very first time I went to New York and didn't realize what a steal it was. I went back a few months later and it was booked up and only then did I realize how much I love the location and the price. You get a safe, clean, air conditioned room with an LCD TV and DVD player and full cable, your own bathroom and fresh towels and a made-up room ever day, right in the East Village, for like, half the price of any other comparable room in the city.
One trip, a bunch of my friends all booked rooms here (about 14 of us) and no one had any complaints, so it's not just that I'm easy to please. I stayed with 3 girlfriends once and we got 2 double beds for $160. Try to do New York for $40 a night -- try to do ANYWHERE for $40 a night -- and you won't come close to this place.
Staff are pretty nice, never had a problem. If you need directions someplace, they will print you up a google map or whatever.
I guess this place is not for everybody. I once heard an older lady complain that it was "too noisy" and the guy at the desk said, "Lady, it's New York!" (ha ha. I just turn on the air conditioner or fan if it gets noisy on the streets below).
Yes it's cash only and there's no elevator, but if that's important to you, go stay somewhere else because I don't want this place getting too popular! One thing that's a drag is that WiFi is really expensive, but it's free without a password at the Film Academy Cafe across the street.
I heard it used to be a hooker and junkie hang out, but those days are long gone. It's all families and tourists now. It was closed all summer for fire code violations and I am so glad it's open again.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the top floor facing away from St. Mark's.
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
8 Thank Canadian09876

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
  • Polish first
Reviewed 3 November 2011

My best friend and I stayed here for our 25th birthday. We were on New York a week and stayed here for 4 days, the staff were lovely, helped us with our bags, and humoured our English accents, slight drunken behaviour, hang overs in the morning, they helped with taxi's and cutting the arms off a top I wanted cutting. We made a mess with some peanuts and they cleaned up quickly with no bother. The location is perfect for young arty types, we were so close to bars, tattoo shops, funky clothes shops and million food places. Perfect in every way. Made my 25th unforgettable thank you do much!!

• Stayed December 2010
1 Thank Punkonomix
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
Reviewed 29 October 2011

The St. Marks Hotel is a small hotel located right in the East Village (next to the Trash and Vaudeville store for all you punk rockers). I traveled with my sister, cousin, mom, and aunt- all different ages. We visited the city for just a weekend (two nights) and quite enjoyed ourselves. The hotel rooms were much smaller than what we are accustomed to with just enough room for the beds; however, they were perfect for what we needed. During the weekend the only time spent in the hotel was while we were sleeping; the hotel was simply homebase. That said, the St. Marks is within comfortable walking distance to numerous great cafes, breakfast diners, etc. Additionally, we walked literally everywhere we went- from the hotel to 5th Avenue, to Times Square, to Broadway etc. If you need to take the Subway, it is 1 block away. You can also find a Starbucks, a Walgreens, and many other stops right by the hotel. Finally, there is an AWESOME pizza place located downstairs on the corner of the hotel too. While the St. Marks is certainly not luxurious, you CANNOT beat the price for the friendly staff, great location, and clean rooms!

Room Tip: We had a room with two doubles for three people. My aunt and cousin stayed in a room with a full be...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank Your_Traveling_Gnome
Lyon, France
Reviewed 16 October 2011

I just stayed a couple of nights here and it was fine. Great lively location, and the hotel was clean and modern. You get what you pay for so it's not a five star paradise, but it was the best deal I found and I would definitely stay there again. I asked about them being closed recently for the fire code violations and they said that was during the summer, and they seem to be fine now.

Room Tip: I took a queen sized room which was fine (bigger than at the Hudson for example).
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank FrenchFrance69
Limerick, Ireland
Reviewed 9 October 2011

I stayed here for a week, small rooms but when your in new york your not there to stay in your room all day.

Lots of stairs no lift.

You are in the heart of the village so its all good
Your very near the subway,lots of resturants and bars. its a busy street so its a bit noisy
Safe was downstairs which im not a fan of but you get over it.

It was sufficent for what we wanted, a place to sleep.

my tip would be there is a cafe down the block with a great breakfast / lunch menu called cafe orlin

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with friends