“Good value - basic but clean and modern”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of St. Marks Hotel

St. Marks Hotel
Ranked #386 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Lyon, France
“Good value - basic but clean and modern”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2011

I just stayed a couple of nights here and it was fine. Great lively location, and the hotel was clean and modern. You get what you pay for so it's not a five star paradise, but it was the best deal I found and I would definitely stay there again. I asked about them being closed recently for the fire code violations and they said that was during the summer, and they seem to be fine now.

Room Tip: I took a queen sized room which was fine (bigger than at the Hudson for example).
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank FrenchFrance69

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
  • Polish first
Limerick, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2011

I stayed here for a week, small rooms but when your in new york your not there to stay in your room all day.

Lots of stairs no lift.

You are in the heart of the village so its all good
Your very near the subway,lots of resturants and bars. its a busy street so its a bit noisy
Safe was downstairs which im not a fan of but you get over it.

It was sufficent for what we wanted, a place to sleep.

my tip would be there is a cafe down the block with a great breakfast / lunch menu called cafe orlin

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with friends
Denver, Colorado
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2011

Reserved this hotel in early June on referral by a family member for stay from August 4th through the 8th. It was close to family and inexpensive but knew it wasn't top notch. Offered credit card to confirm reservation but told they don't take credit cards? Thought that was odd but...

Called 2 weeks before my reservation and was told everything was set. Called the afternoon of August 3rd and told same... they were ready for us and looking forward to our stay. On the 4th we were dropped off by our airport car, baggage unloaded on sidewalk and car drove away. Turned and found the hotel doors were locked! After several minutes a man who said he was the manager invited us into the foyer and told us there was a problem... the Fire Department had closed the hotel due to fire code violations. I asked why I hadn't been advised of this when I called the day before and he pointed to a letter posted on the wall from FDNY that was dated August 3rd and cited the closure. The manager proceeded to tell us that he had taken the liberty of reserving a room for us at their sister hotel which was on 56th (?) and something, several miles from our son's apartment. I declined their offer and expressed my frustration that they had not bothered to phone me about the closure. I had previously given them my office and cell phone numbers but no call. Again, he pointed to the FD letter dated August 3rd and said they had just received the order from the FD and didn't have time to contact me. I was fortunate to find better and more reliable hotel nearby. While searching for the new hotel, I noted a review in Tripadvisor in which the reviewer spoke about the closure of St. Marks in May, 2011 due to fire code violations. This suggests to me the hotel has been closed at least since May, 2011 but they continue to take reservations and probably change the date on the Fire Department letter everyday to claim that the closure was so recent, that they were unable to contact their guests to advise of the closure and to give them time to make reservations elsewhere rather than at their 'sister' flophouse up town. This is a scam! Do not stay here!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
8 Thank Bruce B

Travellers are raving about these New York City hotels

Goiania, GO
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2011

We went to New York in june, 2008 and stayed at St Marks for two weeks. the neighborhood was quite good. Subway station, restaurants and little markets. The hotel is a bad idea. Noisy place with a pub around. The rooms are small, there's no lift, just endless bad stairs. We asked to change rooms because of the bad fried chicken smell and Jazz noise and the staff almost laughed at us. I'll never be there again.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
Berlin, Germany
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2011

This hotel is a big rip off. The hotel is closed since mai this year, but still accept bookings. The the hotel is closed due to fire department problems. So you book it, then you arrive there as nobody would let you know. They have booked already a new hotel for you which is worse than that one and cheaper but we were forced to pay the st. marks hotel price...so do not book this hotel unless it has reopened again because the location is good.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends