“great stay”

Gansevoort Meatpacking NYC
Ranked #210 of 471 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 8 January 2011

Stayed 2 nights and once again had a great experience.
The staff was in excellent form, as always, and our room was wonderful.
We love the MPD location, and will return in the near future.
I would recommend this hotel to any of my friends. I've never been disappointed in the Gansevoort. They aim to please...and do!!

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,877)

Reviewed 8 January 2011

dont get me wrong, the location is amazing, the room was ok-ish, but the staff were well below par given the price....and having a public roof top bar operating the hotel lifts is a big big mistake. We had to wait far to long for the lifts when the roof top bar was busy and we had to live with drunk roof top bar patrons when in the lift. The concierge was very un-helpful. We did send an email noting our issues and disappointment, which after a number of weeks was answered and the response was good enough......but no chance we will stay in this hotel again and would not (have not) recommended it to others.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Damian H
Reviewed 6 January 2011

The rooms are not bad, but nothing exceptional given the price that you pay. Where you really do pay way too much is the service. I was treated so rudely while simply working out that I would not go back to this hotel if I could stay there for free, so unpleasant was the experience. This is what happened. It started while I was working out in the gym. An aerobics instructor parked herself right in between me and the tv, not caring at all that she blocked the view. It took a while but she finally moved and moved just outside the gym. But there she was still talking so loudly that I still could not hear the tv. Given that she was outside the gym the solution seemed easy, I closed the door. Then she erupted and started telling me that I couldn't close the door and that I was an impolite unpleasant person. And that in front of other people. Interestingly, only the aerobics instructor itself was disruptive. Her pupils that were also crossing the room actually did behave normally. The worst thing was that a bit later the director of the spa came to me. Not to apologize! No she came to me to explain to me that this (meaning the gym) was "a high traffic area". Well, if the director of the spa thinks you can just choose right in front of tv screens in gyms, then you know what kind of place we are talking about

To be fair, it seems the spa is run by different people and the hotel manager thought this was not acceptable either. But still, I picked this hotel because I thought I could work out.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank WouterinAmsterdam
Reviewed 6 January 2011

The hotel itself was beautiful. The rooms were a bit small. Now trying to sleep was a nightmare. There is a gap on the bottom of the door so you can hear everything in the hallways. The door has a spring on it which causes it to slam shut. So all night long you can hear doors shut really loud. It was virtually impossible to sleep! If you bring some ear plugs, it's a great place to stay.

Reviewed 30 December 2010

Great room which we were upgraded to. Good views and the maid service was excellant. The front desk was not up to par and the general feeling we got was that no one cared much for the people they worked for or the job they had. Seemed that it was more of a inconvience than a pleasure to have guest. I not found a better room and bathroom in New York but it takes good personal to make guest feel good about their stay. I will go back to my other places. We try to make 2 to 3 trips per year to NYC and the personal makes all the difference.