“Wonderful Hotel- Great place to stay!”

Gansevoort Meatpacking NYC
Ranked #221 of 470 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 6 June 2006

Stayed the weekend of May 12th. Got early check in and was upgraded to a Manhattan Suite. Incredible room with in-shower sauna, Plasma TV, balcony, and a VERY comfy bed. Bar on the roof was a scene for sure- was the place to be. Note to future guests, pool is for hotel guests only- grab a drink and head out to the pool to look at the city without the crowds of the bar. Service was excellent- I had no problems or attitude from anyone. Breakfast (free) was good, nice atmosphere. All in all a great stay in a great area. Highly recomended!

• Stayed: May 2006, travelled on business
4  Thank Ferris72
Write a ReviewReviews (1,855)

Reviewed 27 May 2006

Had a wonderful stay at the Gansevoort. This hotel is among the very best in New York. Design is very modern, a little cold in the lobby but the rooms are quite comfortable. Our room was relatively large by New York standards, with a nice bathroom and a plasma TV. We really enjoyed the space and light provided by the floor to ceiling window with the view on the Hudson river and the little balcony. The crowd is definitely trendy and there is sometimes a little too much attitude. However, we never felt uncomfortable, even with our two young children. The location is interesting too, in the middle of the Meatpacking neighborhood, close to many up-and-coming shops, restaurants and bars. This hotel is not for everybody, but if you like clean, modern design and a fashionable atmosphere, you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed: February 2006
4  Thank netme75
Reviewed 24 May 2006

My wife and I spent the past weekend here. We planned on a night of sophisticated R&R, and picked this hotel based on recent reviews, as well as it's reputation as a top NYC property. Living in northern NJ, we had a pretty good idea of what to expect from midtown hotels, so we decided to stay in the Meatpacking District to avoid all the tourists, noise, traffic, etc., to be close to the Spice Market and downtown shopping areas.

It's not that the hotel itself wasn't nice-it just wasn't great. We stayed in a corner suite which costs upwards of 1k a night, and for that money, I expect 5-star excellence.

Our biggest complaint was that even from the 10th floor we could hear loud voices and constant car horns from the street below-until 5am. Perhaps it's not fair to blame the hotel for that, but at checkout the front desk agent told me that they get many similar complaints from balcony room guests, and that "next time" we should stay in a "single in the back" of the hotel, which are obviously much less expensive and less noisy. I just said "uh...ok" and left it at that.

I'm not a particularly light sleeper, but for that kind of money I expect at the very least not to be kept awake all night. Unfortunately, since we didn't get to sleep until after 5 and slept until 11, we missed the breakfast that was included with the room purchase. The front desk girl just shrugged her shoulders and gave us a "SOL" look, and walked on to the next customer. I wasn't seeking compensation, but sympathetic concern even if disingenuous, would have been nice.

After a night out, we returned to the hotel only to encounter 50-75 people standing behind a velvet rope at the entrance. Apparently they were on line to get into the top floor lounge, and the ropes were in place to control the flow of people allowed in. It also managed to control the flow of registered guests into the hotel as well. As my wife and I made our way past the crowd and walked into the one single open door, we were met by a bouncer-type who stepped in front of us and barked out; "CAN I HELP YOU?!?!". I guess the concept of actual hotel guests entering from the front entrance along with club people was way too much for this guy-or hotel management for that matter-to process. I just ignored him and walked on by, but it's not something you should encounter when paying these rates.

The top floor lounge (a couple of appetizers and three rounds of drinks in plastic "glasses" totaled $130) was nothing spectacular. After discovering this place, we realized why we had encountered so many image-conscious 20-somethings aimlessly riding the elevators and wandering the guest hallways looking for it. There were no signs anywhere in the lobby or inside the elevator telling them that the lounge was located on the "PH" level. I guess it's all part of the "chic" atmosphere that people just know where the hip spot is. But don't be surprised to meet some of them on your way down the hall to the ice machine.

All in all I would not return for the above reasons, only. The beds were comfortable, and the rooms were clean, modern and well appointed. I don't mean to sound too negative, but there may be some out there who would want to know these things before spending the money. I know I would have.

• Stayed: March 2006
17  Thank lljmc
Reviewed 22 May 2006

Myself and 3 friends chose to stay at the Gansevoort. We hadn't been to NYC before so were unsure of location to all the sites, clubs, shops. The Hotel proved to be in a superb location. Not too far from anything, especially the bars and clubs. Around the hotel there are some great places to go (ATP, Lotus AER), further afield (4/5 blocks) try Marquee, Home, Crobar. Even the hotel bar was packed at 2/3am!. The strange thing is you don't hear any of this when in your rooms so you have the best of both worlds. Staff very helpful and Nicky the Concierge top class in getting us into restaurants and clubs. Didn't do the breakfast at the hotel, try Carnegie Deli (nr Carnegie Hall) great place, great omelettes!! Rooms nice with everything you need, Hotel CD worth a listen too!, recommend this hotel to anyone!!.

• Stayed: May 2006
1  Thank bruciebonus_7
Reviewed 18 April 2006

Although you might not expect it from a hotel in the range of the Gansevoort, the incredibly helpful and courteous hotel staff went above and beyond to make my 8 month old’s stay an absolute dream! I highly suggest this hotel to anyone traveling with or without infants.
Richard O.