All reviews bagels single private room sink and mirror shared bathroom location is great free breakfast walking distance subway station times square few blocks around the corner the empire state building central park manhattan ensuite computers storage
Reviewed 23 December 2017

I always go back to this hostel although the rooms look like a scene from Prison Break..
Very very basic rooms.. not the most comfortable beds..but the location is perfect and it is clean..No bed bugs..
I always go for a single private room as that is very cheap for being in the middle of Manhattan.
Continental breakfast which I skip most of the time. Very simple..
Cleaning daily which is great, but they always wake me up shouting outside my door early in the morning using walkie talkies..
Oh,..free pizza on Wednesdays.. A lot of pizza...

Room Tip: Very noisy next to the kitchen. Stay away..
Stayed: November 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 10 December 2017

Comfy, clean shelter, safe at all hours. 24 hour staff, multiple transportation options. So affordable. Breakfast included. Guests from all over the world. Lockers available for early arrival and after check out. Shuttle service discounts available to airports. Great neighborhood with culture venues closeby. groceries, a kitchen. Charming courtyard for the breakfast. Helpful staff.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 December 2017

I staid in the Chelsea for just 2 nights. The rooms are bare and no frills, just the two simple beds, lockers and a sink. The shower is in the hall, as is the toilet. Both were on the small side. The building is old and noisy, but since it was off season (is it ever in New York?) we were not much bothered by our neigbors. Location wise you couldn't be in a better situation. You're not here to stay in your room! The breakfast was a nice plus, though I was sad that it was too cold to enjoy the courtyard. There is a living room in the reception building, with local information, maps and a computer. All in all, if you're in town to explore, and just need a bed, this is the perfect spot. I did feel the price was a bit steep for what was offered, but hey, it's Manhattan!

Room Tip: We staid on the ground floor, next to the entrance of the kitchen. If you want quiet, ask for room on one of the upper floors.
  • Stayed: November 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 22 November 2017

I have stayed at many hotels worldwide, from Bolivia to South Africa. This is by far the worst hostel I have ever stayed in. It's also the most expensive room I have ever stayed in. The room was very small and gloomy , the walls appeared to be very dirty and I constantly found decent sized bugs in the room. The breakfast was very disappointing. We were lucky enough to have a bathroom in our room but the common bathrooms did not have a sink or hand sanitizer. The only good thing was the location.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank Katana107
Reviewed 14 November 2017

The location is ok, personally, I'd rate this as perfect. You can take the AirTrain to and from Penn station or continue to a nearer 14th st. subway station. Don't expect that you'll enter one building full of rooms as this hostel will give you a real New Yorker feel, you get to have your own key to enter an apartment which should be one of the doors beside the main entrance (reception area) or one of the apartments inside the compound, and another key for your bedroom. The building is kinda old but still very much ok- as I said, real New York apartment feel. You can walk to several places of interest from the hostel, 30 minutes away from Times Square by foot, a few steps away from bars and restaurants. Standard breakfast is served in the common area which includes a bagel with butter and jelly, a fruit, cereals, milk and juice. I love the Spanish speaking staff, I wonder how they figured out I speak Spanish but they just do and I love it! The staff seemed nice even if they were very busy. Public transport is also very much available outside the hostel. Wifi is available in all corners of the hostel which is very good, the only problem is it occasionally disconnects when you move around buildings, i.e. from your room to the breakfast area. Rates are a lot cheaper than other accommodation rentals but too expensive for a hostel- even for hostels in Scandinavia. Overall, they are very good, and I would definitely book Chelsea again but the rates would make me think twice.

Room Tip: Book as early as you can, rooms run out fast and rates constantly change.
  • Stayed: November 2017, travelled with friends