All reviews bagels single private room sink and mirror shared bathroom location is great free breakfast walking distance subway station times square few blocks around the corner the empire state building central park manhattan ensuite computers storage
Reviewed 14 November 2017

The location is ok, personally, I'd rate this as perfect. You can take the AirTrain to and from Penn station or continue to a nearer 14th st. subway station. Don't expect that you'll enter one building full of rooms as this hostel will give you a real New Yorker feel, you get to have your own key to enter an apartment which should be one of the doors beside the main entrance (reception area) or one of the apartments inside the compound, and another key for your bedroom. The building is kinda old but still very much ok- as I said, real New York apartment feel. You can walk to several places of interest from the hostel, 30 minutes away from Times Square by foot, a few steps away from bars and restaurants. Standard breakfast is served in the common area which includes a bagel with butter and jelly, a fruit, cereals, milk and juice. I love the Spanish speaking staff, I wonder how they figured out I speak Spanish but they just do and I love it! The staff seemed nice even if they were very busy. Public transport is also very much available outside the hostel. Wifi is available in all corners of the hostel which is very good, the only problem is it occasionally disconnects when you move around buildings, i.e. from your room to the breakfast area. Rates are a lot cheaper than other accommodation rentals but too expensive for a hostel- even for hostels in Scandinavia. Overall, they are very good, and I would definitely book Chelsea again but the rates would make me think twice.

Room Tip: Book as early as you can, rooms run out fast and rates constantly change.
  • Stayed: November 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank iamglobalboy
Reviewed 7 November 2017 via mobile

I was coming in solo for the marathon and wanted a good location IN the city for cheap. Went the hostel route.
Great location. Not far from subway stations. Rite Aid at the corner.

*disclaimer-1st time in NYC*some 'issues' may be normal due to age of building/plumbing/etc
Just a few setbacks:
1. Toilet area very small. Tight to open door to get out. Kinda smelled by the end of day, not sure if pee dribbled or the drain. But not unbearable.
2. Shower drain didn't drain water during a shower or after right away. Again, could be typical for building/age. I don't know. It was first time in city. But again, not unbearable.
3. No AC, window was open-but strangely never got cold even thought outside temps got cold-very comfortable indoors.
4. At one point I saw 2 roaches. Used to them in Florida. Called the desk and maintence was up in 5 minutes and sprayed. Big point for them for handling it well.
5. Steps were quite steep and post-race was tough but it was quiet and peaceful at night.
6. Bed was comfy.
7. Bath towel is given. BUT no washcloth or hand towels or hand soap. I would up buying some cheap socks at Rite Aid to use as washcloth/hand towel for after washing my hands. Even bought cheap soap for my room. It was very nice having a sink in the room.

Overall, good place. Would stay again if solo & on a budget again.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 31 October 2017 via mobile

Very convenient, great if on a budget and not spending too much time in your hotel /room /cage. Tiny, simple, single room w one chair and bed and no trash can or desk. But expected as much in NYC. Mid-town no less. On the other hand front desk staff assumes a (stereotypical) air of arrogance/impatience. When I asked if I could be moved to a room away from the street side he noted that he couldn't b/c the hostel was full. I asked about moving up to a double or into a hostel. And was barked at: "Don't Ask me 5 times!" Evidently lacking in basic addition skills as well as tact....I will be more selective next time!

Stayed: October 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank Carl G
Reviewed 29 October 2017 via mobile

My partner and I stayed here for one night. I slept well despite it being run down..but my partner didn’t enjoy that we had no air conditioning in the room. I liked that there was a sink in our room, because I always need a lot of time to get ready. The shared toilet was clean and smelled good..but all in all it needs tlc.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 October 2017 via mobile

I stayed with my girlfriend here in a private room, the check in process was painless and the lady at the reception was friendly so good marks there.

The room however was probably the worst I have ever stayed in, I have stayed in better rooms in hostels in third world countries. The room resembled a prison, stains everywhere and very warm. There was a gap in the window where the air conditioning unit used to be..

On a positive note the location is great, but you could probably find something better for the price.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple