All reviews bagels single private room sink and mirror shared bathroom location is great free breakfast walking distance subway station times square few blocks around the corner the empire state building central park manhattan ensuite computers storage
Reviewed 21 January 2013

I stayed over the new year period in NYC, and we were expecting accommodation to be expensive. This hostel allowed us (myself and my two other girls) to stay right in the thick of the city for a reasonable price for New York, about $70 ea per night. While the facilities weren't amazing, we were expecting this. The hostel is in a fabulous location, a 2 min walk in either direction to the subway and the bagels in the morning were pretty good. The rooms were all they needed to be (we stayed in a 3 person private with an ensuite) although in the middle of winter I was needing a few blankets to stay warm through the night.
My only criticisms of the hostel are the fact that it didn't have a communal feeling that I have found in other hostels, and the wifi was a tad temperamental. Other than that, it did the job, we were out for most of our stay anyway.
I would stay again, most probably in a private room as I chatted to a few other people staying in dorms and they commented that it was a little noisy. The private rooms are out the back of the property.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 November 2012

This Hostel is perfect located next to Madison Square Garden. With many shops, groceries and the Subway nearby, this place is an excellent hang-out to discover NYC. Staff was friendly and the terrace a great place to get to know other travelers. I would definitely stay again in this hostel again.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank Stephan B
Reviewed 6 November 2012

Stayed here twice, on two separate trips. Its nothing fancy, but being that it is a hostel, thats to be expected! In my experience the rooms have always been clean, really good value for its great location and no one can complain about a free breakfast..!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank Emma H
Reviewed 25 October 2012

Nice place, well located, clean and all you need for a safe budget traveller.
The staff was very nice, specially Larry but except for Tim... seems like he doesn't like his job at all and wants you to know it, and probably blame you for that... rude and unpleasant...
I would come again, if I only need a clean room, clean bed and a decent shower... nothing more, nothing less.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Franarg
Reviewed 12 October 2012

I must say that choosing Chelsea Hostel was very good idea, because if you are travelling alone or with max 2 other people it is definitely best place to stay in NYC. Helpful staff together with good price of accomodation and of course the location which gives you lot of options how to travel in the city. Located in a safe area with police station across the hostel and only steps from subway station. Personally we have chosen to walk only, because you get to see the most of city rather than travelling by subway. In couple of minutes you can reach the Times Square and all other main attractions, simply nothing is that far that you couldn't reach it by foot. The room was perfect for us as a couple, because we spent most of our days outside and came back only to sleep. If we have the chance to come back again in the future, we would definitely choose Chelsea again, because it was a perfect place for us to stay.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple