“No complaints - exactly what we were looking for” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Envoy Club Suites

Envoy Club Suites
Ranked #414 of 477 Hotels in New York City
Oslo, Norway
“No complaints - exactly what we were looking for”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2011

I booked this as an 'unlisted' hotel because we were trying to save money and thought the risk was worth it. Unlisted means you book through a site like hotwire and don't actually know which hotel it is until you complete the booking, you just know the price, general location and rating. Benefit of taking this risk = better price.

When I booked and saw it was Envoy Club I came here to read reviews and was a little concerned. They were hardly universally positive.

But after a week staying there I can say I was pleasantly surprised, and we thought it was perfect for what we were looking for.

Our room was big, very big by Manhattan standards. The neighbourhood was safe and reasonably convenient (Murray Hill is NOT in the absolute middle of Manhattan, so if this is what you want, choose another place), and the apartment style worked well for us. A doorman plus a staff member (most of the time) was enough to handle all of our requests.

The bed was comfortable, with nice clean sheets, and the room was dark, cool and quiet at night. The two airconditioning units handled the NY heatwave perfectly.

The kitchen wasn't new but it was clean and very usable. The bathroom was big and clean. As for the carpet - I'm not sure if we had new carpet or if previous reviews saw things that we didn't, but our carpet was 100% fine.

Internet wasn't free, but it worked very well (a lot better than many hotels I've stayed in) so I was happy.

My conclusion about Envoy Club is that it certainly wasn't as bad as some of these reviews make it sound. Whether you like it or not will all depend on what you are looking for - if you want something brand new, gives you the feeling of being right in the heart of Manhattan, has great views, and a really cool vibe, Envoy Club probably isn't the best bet.

However, if you want great space, very practical pleasant apartment style and excellent value, Envoy Club could be a great option. My fiance and I had both been to Manhattan before, so we didn't need a rockstar place, we just needed a place that was a decent size, good quality, reasonably located (we actually liked getting some extra walking by staying in Murray Hill) and good value. Envoy Club was all of that and we would have no hesitation in going there again.

Room Tip: We were in room 500
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank David_of_Oslo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Hungarian first
sydney
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2011

the envoy club suites was recommended to us by friends . on arriving, it was a terrible disappointment!! our one bedroom self contained suite, was rather old. the carpet stained, windows dirty. bath plug broken.thankfully, however, to their credit, they fixed us a plug when requested on the second day. the springs in the sofa bed, stuck into my daughter's back, giving a very uncomfortable first night. the cleaning maid was very accommodating and put an extra comfort on top to improve things a little. the bathroom and kitchen, though old, was clean.

i had booked a few months early, and specially requested a rollaway to be added for when my 23 year old son arrived, and confirmed this several times with reservations., and also on arrival. to which, no-one ever said, they were subject to the day!! so, we found, that the night my son was to arrive, there was no rollaway available!!

i definitely would not recommend this hotel, unless you desperately need to be next door to the hospital. this part of town is not as pleasant as staying on the west side, especially upper west. true, you are not far from centre of town and the 15 bus is close by to catch to and from lower manhattan. however, if you are looking for somewhere with a nicer view and surroundings or pleasant area to walk, don't book here.

Room Tip: do not book a studio suite.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family

Travellers are raving about these New York City hotels

Greeley, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2011

The Good: Given prices in Manhattan, I think the rates at Envoy Club are competitive and worth it for what you get. The location at 1st Ave. requires a 4-block aerobic ascent up E. 33rd St. to the No. 6 subway line at Lexington Ave. (downhill on the way home, though!), which gives it reasonably good access to the rest of Manhattan. It’s easily reachable from LaGuardia. I have stayed at Envoy Club on four occasions, mainly when in town to see Broadway shows. I like being away from the Times Square commotion but only 2 stops away from the theaters by changing from the 6 line to the shuttle at Grand Central. The suites are roomy and tastefully decorated in muted grays, blues and earth tones. In the suite I rented most recently, the bedroom was a generous 19x13 ft. and the living room was 19x12 ft. The living room includes a glass dining table with seating for four. There’s also an 8x9 ft. kitchen with marble countertops and clean, new, full-size major appliances, microwave and coffeemaker. The bed was comfortable, and linens and towels were of good quality. I found the furniture to be clean and in good condition. There are TVs in both the living room and in the bedroom and a stereo and fax machine (yes, a fax machine) in the living room. The windowless bath is decorated in classic white and black tile with attractive ceramic molding. Fixtures are modern and clean, including a tub/shower combination, and hot water was prompt and plentiful. There is substantial closet and cabinet space, including closets in the bedroom and in the entry vestibule. Service at the front desk is a mixed bag. Some staff are friendly and helpful, others are non-communicative and uninterested. There is a doorman who actually works for the apartments in the building that are not part of Envoy Club, but the added security presence is nice. The maid service was good. A fitness center is available for use, but I have never seemed to find the time to use it, so I can’t report on its quality. The location is close to the NYU Hospital on 1st Ave., so depending on which side of the building you’re on, it’s possible to hear emergency vehicle sirens (ubiquitous in New York, anyway). However, the Envoy Club occupies floors of the building that are high enough from street level to keep noise fairly minimal (ca. 5th-7th floors I believe). I heard no sounds at all from neighbors and always slept well.

The Bad: As has been noted, the carpets are worn and due for replacement. However, I personally don’t find them bad enough to keep me from staying there. Unfortunately the place has cut corners in equipping the kitchen. I like to cook for myself at least part of the time and also invite a local friend to join me for dinner in, so the kitchen is one of the attractions of the Envoy Club for me. Basic flatware, dinnerware, cooking utensils, and pots and pans are provided, though in sparse quantities. However, unlike many vacation apartments, absolutely no additional amenities or conveniences are provided in the kitchen. There was not even a dish cloth or dish towel. I had to go to one of the nearby Gristede’s supermarkets to buy paper towels to put in the empty paper towel holder. I suppose when I checked out the paper towels I provided were removed rather than left in place for the next guest. Salt and pepper shakers are provided, but they’re likewise empty. The maid will leave a couple of little filter packs of coffee for the coffeemaker, but you might want to plan to buy some while there or bring coffee with you. Another thing to be aware of is that internet connection in your suite will be an optional extra that is separately billed. It was worth the extra charge for me to be online, and the internet connection available at a desk/work station in the bedroom was very functional. However, I would have preferred having internet connectivity included in the price of the room, and it wouldn’t bother me at all if the fax machine in the living room were dispensed with.

The Ugly: Not that the management has any control over the views, but I’ll just note that the various suites I’ve rented over time have had very different views, from the Empire State Building splendidly framed in the living room window, to, most recently, a full-on view of a hideous nondescript building located across E. 33rd St. to the south, probably dating from the late 1960s. The windows in that monstrosity are cluttered with desperate and very tacky window shades and what appear to be stacks of manila folders. Shades of Novosibirsk.

Other notes: There are at least two Gristede’s supermarkets in easy walking distance from the Envoy Club, for example just south on 3rd Ave., as well as numerous small groceries, delis and shops. I enjoy the Eastside Midtown / Murray Hill scene, including some interesting restaurants and taverns close by on 2nd Ave. It’s worth a walk in the neighborhood to discover some of the local opportunities. For example, I stumbled across a wonderful concert of Bach harpsichord music at the historic Moravian Church on Lexington Ave. near E. 30th St. There is also a multi-screen cinema around the corner on 2nd Ave. Macy’s is walkable from here as well.

For me the positives outweigh the negatives, especially the location and the spacious interiors, and I’m likely to return to Envoy Club in the future.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Glenmere7
Watford, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2011

This seems like a serviced appartment that doubles up as a hotel. I arrived to check-in at 2:45pm only to be told the check-in time was 3pm. When I asked what would happen between now and then I got the enigmatic answer "much..." That was actually worth the stay alone for humour. It's OK but a bit dark, slightly shabby and needs some attention. Zero hotel type facilities, but it does have a kitchen so if you need a bit of space that's good. The list of check-in rules is also amusingly Eastern European. If you check out after 2pm, not only will you pay for a full night, but you will also be charged a penalty fine as well!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank the5foleys2016
New York City, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2011

I have read the other reviews but found my room less than up to standard... the carpets need replacing (they looked dirty with many stains!), the curtains and window treatments need cleaning, in fact the room smelt terrible! The apartments are very roomy but really need a major updating!! Also very concerned about security... rooms were left open on the floor when being cleaned and anyone could access any of the rooms whilst the cleaning staff were completing their duties! Never seen anything like it! I travel the world alot and have stayed at many places but this ranked as one of the worst places I have stayed in for a long time. Travellers should also be aware that the Hotel is not centrally located and cabs are not always easily accesible outside the hotel.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled solo