“Amazing Breakfast & Gluten Free!! ”
Review of The Grey Dog

The Grey Dog
Ranked #161 of 15,866 Restaurants in New York City
Price range: USD 9 - USD 16
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery
Neighbourhood: Nolita
Description: Neighborhood coffeehouse serving eggs, granola, sandwiches & salads in a homey, laid-back setting
Reviewed 20 December 2016 via mobile

We popped in from downtown for breakfast and wow! Place is lovely and friendly, food is excellent.
I had Gluten Free blueberry pancakes and other half had a Philly Cheese steak with chips. They were both really excellent, especially the gluten free pancakes for me which were heavenly tasty and such a relief to find gluten free in the city. Everything was spot on!

Reviewed 17 December 2016

We couldn't get into another favourite of ours as there was a queue out the door so we wandered a bit further and saw The Grey Dog and thought, well, let's give it a go. Glad we did as the breakfast was delicious. We all had something different and all were very happy with the meals. The young man coordinating the people coming in did an excellent job and kept us informed about a table and made you feel valued, not just another customer waiting for a table. We were so happy we bought a pack of their granola and a coffee cup to take home! Highly recommend it.

Reviewed 14 December 2016

We were planning on grabbing some pizza but stopped in here as a few people in our group wanted sandwiches and we knew it would accommodate my gluten allergy. It is an order at the counter and bring it to your seat kinda deal, and they have a range of options including breakfast options, sandwiches, soups, burgers, etc. Many of the items can be prepared gluten free too, which is great as I am a celiac. I got the chicken salad with cheddar and bacon on a gluten free flatbread and it was delicious- best GF flatbread i have ever had. (They were made in house and I am so bummed I can't get them at home back here in PA because they were so good! )The hubby had a burger and said it was good. The rest of the group had sandwiches and soup and also agreed everything they had was delicious. I only ate half of the sandwich and was still full for hours while exploring the city- so come hungry!

The only reason I took my review to 4/5 is because of the hoops I had to jump through to make sure I wouldn't get sick. My meal came with french fries and since they are cooked in a shared fryer I couldn't eat them due to cross contamination. I just asked for them on a separate plate so my mom could have them, and the girl taking the order said it was no problem, they came out this way, but when I went to lift the sandwich from the plate to eat it, there were multiple french fries there. I could not eat the sandwich at that point due to cross contamination. We flagged someone down and they quickly made me a new one, but when he brought it out and I asked again to double check it was on the GF flatbread, he wasn't sure and had to check again. It was and I ate it and did not get sick, but it was a hassle to keep going back and fourth.

Despite all of this I would definitely come back next time I am back in the city!

Reviewed 7 December 2016

Visiting NYC for a December weekend. Had a good Sunday AM brunch. Nice casual spot to grab a meal, friendly service.

Reviewed 2 December 2016 via mobile

Delicious breakfast, friendly staff and a funky and clean setting. Best pancakes!! Would definitely go back.