“We’ll Never Forget the “Baby Bananas” Course!”
Review of Jungsik

Reserve with OpenTable
Jungsik is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #51 of 14,430 Restaurants in New York City
Price range: USD 50 - USD 160
Cuisines: Korean
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighbourhood: TriBeCa
Cross street: Hudson
Transit: Subway JUNGSIK is located on the corner of Hudson and Harrison From the local 1 train it is the Franklin Street Station. Walk one block west on Franklin street to Hudson street, and head south till you see Harrison st. The Chambers Street Station (1,2,3 or A, C trains) is a short four block walk away. (just head north on Hudson)
Description: JUNGSIK offers a modern and unique Korean cuisine by innovative Chef Yim whom the New York Times has christened "The Pioneer of Modern Korean." This landmark Seoul experience is now offered at his TriBeCa flagship (former Chanterelle space), where bold flavors and playful culinary offerings abound. Jungsik brings the innovations of French cuisine and new Spanish movements into the Korean realm while staying true to big and bold familiar flavors of Korea.
Reviewed 29 September 2017

My spouse and I dined at Jungsik for dinner on a Saturday night in mid-August 2017. Jungsik is open daily for dinner only. We booked our table 30 days in advance using the online Open Table reservation system. The restaurant has held 2 Michelin stars since 2014 (elevated from its first star in 2013).

Jungsik opened in TriBeCa at the intersection of Harrison and Hudson Streets in September 2011 in the space formerly occupied by Chanterelle. Seoul Korea hosts a second outpost of Jungsik that opened in February 2009. Chef-owner Jung Sik Yim owns the restaurant, and its name is a play on words; in Korean, “Jung Sik” means “formal dinner”. She attended the Culinary Institute of America in Hyde Park NY, and she has worked at Manhattan’s Aquavit and Bouley.

The restaurant’s corner location allows muted exposure to natural light. You enter the restaurant past a small bar (with perhaps four seats) before you reach the main dining room. A central service table accented by hanging lights enclosed in a metal frame divides the two sides of the spacious room. A rear dining room offers additional seating. In the main room, plush ivory banquettes line the perimeter, fronted by tablecloth-clad tables and comfortable ivory leather armchairs. The four corner tables offer L-shaped banquettes and the most privacy. (We were pleased that the host granted our request for one of these tables.)

Jungsik serves modern contemporary Korean cuisine in one of two tasting menu formats. (Note that Jungsik once offered a la carte dining, but it has been discontinued.) The seasonal menu offers a few choices for its six courses for $125 (wine pairing is $105 additional, plus you can supplement with $15 truffle ice cream, $40 royal bibimbap, or $150 gujeolpan [a platter of nine delicacies]). We chose the more extensive 9-course, chef-selected signature menu for $200 (wine pairing is $150 additional). We passed on the wine pairings, however, because we were celebrating a birthday, we could not resist trying the cleverly named drink called “Live One Hundred Years”. Our courses from the signature menu follow.

• Amuse Bouche (five different “banchan” all delivered together “bansang” style and placed in front of each guest on tiny pedestals of varying height; it is an impressive presentation that sets the stage of expectation and anticipation for the rest of the meal.)
1. Caviar atop fatty tuna belly and crispy quinoa (I am generally not a caviar fan, but this dish was delish!)
2. Octopus charred and served with ssamjang aioli (I sometimes find octopus tentacle too chewy, but this version was braised for an hour to make it super-soft and yummy. I appreciate when a skillful chef makes me love ingredients and components that I normally shy away from.)
3. Thinly sliced wagyu, atop which our server poured a steaming dashi broth
4. Branzino (Served atop white kimchi, this dish was accompanied by a tiny vial of pressed sesame oil that the chef personally brings back from Korea.)
5. Tuna kimbap (Korean sushi rolls)
6. Foie gras mandoo (dumpling)
7. Galbi (American wagyu topped with fava bean and herb – an elegant composed version of Korean barbecue.)
8. Spring garden (A pre-dessert/palate cleanser of white asparagus ice cream atop colorful fruit and flowers.)
9. Baby bananas (Spoiler Alert: We will never forget how they delivered the tiny bananas set within an actual fruit basket to make us think that they were real, when in fact they were painted white chocolate shells that contained a Baileys banana cake, served with coffee ice cream and crunchy bits.)
10. Omija Bingsu (Magnolia berry granita with lemon basil sorbet and rhubarb syrup)
• Mignardises/macarons

We loved our haute Korean” dinner at Jungsik – we are still talking about the “baby bananas” course!

Reviewed 1 September 2017

Not sure what my expectation for Korean was/is (bi bim bap?) but this wasn't it.
I would have guessed French after trying their tasting menu.
Everything was tasty, the service was solicitous and pleasant.
The interior feels like any one of a thousand fancy, hotel restaurants - although Jungsik is in an otherwise cool downtown space.
The food is outrageously expensive. If you read my reviews I seem to keep stepping in this same puddle.
Anyway - if cost is no object and you want style and elegance - this is your spot. If you're looking cool, cutting edge and funky. Not gonna do it.

1  Thank Oskar-Brooklyn
Reviewed 30 August 2017

The concept for Jungsik is intriguing: Korean cooking reinterpreted in refined French modernist style. I selected the "Choice" menu with the "Royal Bibimbap" as a supplement, and the wine pairings. Most of the dishes were delicate and pretty, some precious: the single tiny piece of "KFC" in the amuse/banchan course for example was a bit silly.

The sea urchin and black cod dishes were extraordinary, and the yuja tart at dessert was delicious. The wine pairings were very good and fun to explore.

My main criticisms are an over reliance on expensive ingredients like foie gras and black truffles in too many of the dishes, from starters to desserts. It is surprising to see these ingredients in Korean cuisine, but the surprise wears off quickly, and becomes cloying. The "Royal Bibimbap" - risotto with foie gras and covered in black truffles - was a surfeit of richness. Of course it was tasty, but it would have been tasty with any one of these ingredients, and very possibly without any of them.

1  Thank JimBCalgary
Reviewed 29 August 2017

After many years of dying to try Jungsik, I was lucky enough to be invited to an awesome Birthday celebration dinner there.
4 courses is ₩100,000
5 courses is ₩120,000
6 courses is ₩140,000 and their signature one is ₩180,000.
Some dishes requires an additional ₩10,000.
We had chosen 5 courses but added the Truffle Bibimbap which was ₩45,000.
We started with a very light rice drink. Almost like a chilled cold broth to start our palettes.
The Amuse Bouche was probably my favorite part of the menu.
So many delicious bites bursting with flavors making all my senses go WOW!
The smoked salmon cone is probably my favorite one of the set.
Our chosen appetizers came quickly. For certain choices like Raw Tuna, you need at least 2 people to have chosen it to be served.
It was great with all the condiments that came with it, tho the Tuna itself wasn't extraordinary, then again, I could have been spoiled by our Japan trip.
For our Rice course I had chosen Grilled Rice with Duck. It was ok. Duck was made very well, the pieces was tender and each piece still had crispy skin! I enjoyed the rice which was barley.
I took a bite of the gimbap and it was amazing. The sauce it came with complimented the crispy seaweed and the tasty rice inside. It was so good I took another bite.
The Royal Bibimbap was served as well. Rich truffle flavors throughout but I was still hung up on how amazing the gimbap was which I honestly think stole the show with its simplicity yet complex flavors.
The birthday girl also received a special birthday rice made with seaweed and kimchi.
Sea course I had chosen Black Cod, as it is always my go to coz I just love that fish so much. I also got to take a bite of the OK Dom which was perfectly prepared. Skin was so crunchy and the fish was expertly cooked. Kudos!
The cod was a bit underwhelming. Unfortunately, I found the sauce too thick and salty to be paired with such a rich fish. Was slightly disappointed. Both of these fishes were an extra ₩10,000 each.
Land course. Sweet mother this Pork Belly was a Hell Yeah, I Want More kinda dish for me. I have a serious love affair with Pork Belly and this course did not disappoint. I love ssam which is basically a wrap.
I especially love Korean BBQ with Perilla Leaves and they served this dish for 2 people with the best tasting soy bean paste sauce ever!
I ate every bite in a finger licking way. I'd encore it if I could!
Sweet course I had chosen their Rose of Versailles ~ Blueberry Creameux. We also got the Green tea mousse and the Apple Crumble. All very well made. I'd suggest getting the Green Tea mousse made with Jeju Island Green tea. Yummy!
Petit Fours and Coffee was served. The Earl Grey tea choux was very good as well the coconuty bite and the chocolate square. Overall a great experience and a delicious dinner.
Come For a celebration or a romantic dinner! Definitely go for the 5 courses. If I remember correctly, I think with 4 courses you have to pick between Sea and Fish.
I would come here again for sure!

Reviewed 24 August 2017 via mobile

I had an amazing evening celebrating my birthday with my family at Jungsik in NYC. I was very curious on what modern Korean cuisine has to offer. It exceeded well beyond my expectation and we had a wonderful time enjoying their tasting menu. I would love to come back and try their chef's tasting menu and their new dessert tasting menu. Must try when in NYC!!