“Fun place to catch a laugh”

People's Improv Theater - The PIT
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

Found this while looking for a comedy club options on google maps. Definitely worth checking out. Would certainly return.

Date of experience: April 2018
in 3 reviews
"nyc"
in 3 reviews

Reviewed 17 March 2018 via mobile

Bit of background first... Last time we were in the US four years ago, my partner's credit card was cloned and maxed out during our stay... Nothing to do with PIT; this happened somewhere around the West side.

Back to PIT. Seeing a show on the Saturday evening - the Baldwins. The place was busy and had a great atmosphere.

Ordered our drinks.

Went to pay with our chip and pin Mastercard (because this place doesn't accept cash).

And my partner gets asked to write down his PIN... The PIN for his credit card... The terminal to put the PIN in doesn't reach the bar, so he got given a napkin, and a pen, and this very odd request.

Not gonna lie; I'm in a comedy club, I assumed at first he was joking. But no.

So we refused.

We suggested my partner goes behind the bar and typed the number in. That would be a breach of licensing laws, so can't do that...

Apparently we couldn't sign, so we walked off without the drinks. Barman says we can just take them, since they're poured and just asked we tip kindly.

While I don't suspect anything untoward is going on at the club, our bank wouldn't have exactly been sympathetic if we were - once again - defrauded, and had willingly given out our card's PIN.

So that was a kind of uncomfortable turn of events.

But, hey, the show was ok. The guests performing with the Baldwins were great, and the venue was a decent size.

My only advice to the venue would be to sort out your payment system. Asking for someone's PIN is pretty much the same as asking for their online banking details...

Date of experience: March 2018
3  Thank X3368INsarahb
Reviewed 23 November 2017

I came here cause I thought itd be a fun thing to do in NY and do something different. I went to the storyboard show, and there was like 5 people in the theatre

It also turned out they were just other performers or friends. There was just a board and people threw darts at a category. Now i thought they'd improvise a story based on the card, but they just told lame stories and can't believe i wasted two hours on this

I definitely not would put this on your things to do list if you are visiting New York

Date of experience: September 2017
1  Thank ash_skywalker10
Reviewed 1 October 2017

It was a nice venue. It was a comfortable atmosphere with good seating arrangement. The place was decently clean and staff was helpful.

Date of experience: September 2017
See more reviews
Reviewed 16 July 2017

We recently saw the fabulous comedy show, 15 Villainous Fools, at The Pit Loft theater on West 29th street during our trip to NYC. Wow! What a fun and hilarious show! The tickets were cheap, $10.00 on Today Tix, and the performance was a blast. Two young actresses rewriting Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors for a contemporary audience. The two actresses were superbly talented,creative, energetic and hysterical, and the audience had a fantastic time. This is a light, fun show, and not to be missed while visiting the city!

Date of experience: July 2017