“Nice, but not as amazing as I expected”
Review of Hotel Chandler

Hotel Chandler
Ranked #142 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 6 April 2012

I was looking for a hotel in NYC for a long weekend, and the TripAdvisor reviews had me look at Hotel Chandler. Lots of good reviews, available at the right time, an excellent price - sold!

The hotel was as advertised - my room looked exactly like the pictures, and was clean and pleasant. The carpeting was fraying a little at the door to the bathroom, but not enough to trip anyone. The bed was comfortable and the shower amenities were great. The staff was uniformly pleasant, prompt and helpful.

I ate breakfast in the "dining room" one day. I was unimpressed. Coffee, fruit salad (old, as the strawberries were broken down), hard-boiled eggs, and slightly stale croissants. It was still edible, if I was at home. For $15 in a restaurant, I expected better.

I had requested a quieter room if one was available, and paid extra for one with a view. I did get a quiet room (well, except for the loud noises of the couple next door enjoying themselves) but my view was of an inner, bricked off courtyard. No river, no Empire State Building.

I got a perfectly pleasant, clean room. The hotel was nice. The location was fine. It was simply not the glowing experience I expected based on other TripAdvisor recommendations.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank RedK
MWRobertson, Director of Sales at Hotel Chandler, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2012

Dear Madam,

Thank you very much for your review of your recent stay at Hotel Chandler and I am delighted that you were able to find us through our Trip Advisor reviews, they are such a wonderful feedback for us too!

I value your thoughts and am happy to report that we have today replaced all hallway carpeting as 'fraying a little' is not acceptable to us.

Furthermore, we have spoken with the company that supplies our daily order of croissants to ensure they are delivered fresh everyday.

I am concerned that you mention you booked a room with a view as I am not aware of any advertising that lists a view, please contact me at markrobertson@hotelchandler.com to explain.
In fact, our guests benefit from our very quiet interior rooms and regularly request them. We all know how noisy NYC hotels can be. We are fortunate at Hotel Chandler to have a very quiet location but certainly do not promote any view or the river as we are in Midtown.

Thank you again for your support of Hotel Chandler and I look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Regards,

MR

Reviewed 6 April 2012

Great location and staff. Very confortable, besides medium size room (double queen bed). Near metro station and 3 min walking distance from Empire St Building. A lot of restaurants, bars and coffees nearby. We would definitely come back.

3  Thank mandyboost

Your title elated my spirits! Thank you very much for the wonderful review. It is excellent that you found our location and service to be the best in New York! That is certainly saying something. We do look forward to welcoming you back some day soon! Regards, MR

Reviewed 1 April 2012

First time at the Chandler, stayed two nights, and had a great, great time. Room was small, which was expected for this price in NYC and absolutely *fine*---I honestly don't know what some people expect in Manhattan...---very comfortable, and very clean. (I had checked bedbugregistry.com before going -- they got a clean bill on there!) Bathroom was excellent, great shower and water pressure and Aveda goodies for amenities. Best part was that the staff could NOT have been lovelier or more helpful. Genuinely great, nice people. I had been hoping this might be the case---two years ago, I had reservations at the Chandler and had to cancel. No hotel staffer has ever been so nice about a cancellation before or since! If rates stay the same, I'll definitely be there again next time in the city.

Room Tip: No idea what views are available, but our room (sixth floor, facing back/roof of a nearby building a...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank cmelo_vt
Reviewed 27 March 2012

Great hotel, excellent service, great staff, hotel was undergoing renovations to lobby with little or no effect on guests, to compensate hotel were giving complimentary breakfast and wine and cheese each evening for a few hours, very kind and enjoyable.
Rooms small but very comfortable, bathrooms excellent, all in all a very well located and comfortable hotel, we shall return .
Michele Ireland

2  Thank Peter1326
Reviewed 22 March 2012

We have just checked out of the Chandler and my wife and I thoroughly enjoyed our 6 day stay. The service we received was fantastic, room was a good size and very clean. Even though the hotel is going through some renovations this didnt impact on our stay..in fact offering the complimentary breakfast and the wine and cheese nights becuase of the renovations was greatly appreciated and we met new friends at these gatherings. Hotel is in a great location, about 400 metres from Empire State Building. Will be recommending for other Aussies to stay

3  Thank Thor E