“I loved it!!!”
Review of Dream Downtown

Dream Downtown
Ranked #133 of 470 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 20 May 2012

I really, really loved Dream Downtown NYC!! My husband and I were celebrating my 32nd birthday with a "party like it's 1999" trip to NYC and this hotel fit right in with that theme. The location is phenomenal. The 14th street subway station is right on the corner so you can get anywhere pretty quickly. The hotel is located right between Chelsea and the Meatpacking District so there are lots of restaurants and shops within walking distance. The hotel itself doesn't look like much on the outside but when you go in it's very hip and modern decor with low lighting, low seating, and 2 bars in the lobby. Clearly, it's a place to party, not sleep. The receptionist at check in was very nice, she explained the hotel's policies to us and got us settled in our room right away. We were on the 3rd floor in room 321 - almost at the end of the hall so a good distance from the elevator. Our room was very cool, I was worried about the size from reading the website (275 sq ft!!) but I found it to be spacious enough for 2 adults with a lot of luggage. The decor again was modern, hip and sexy. It's all silver walls and mirrored doors, you can clearly see the outline of someone in the shower if you're sitting on the bed. The flat screen TV had a message scrolling across it welcoming us to our room by name when we walked in. Our large porthole windows looked down onto the the pool/"beach" area. I was hoping to visit the pool/"beach" during our stay but it was just too cold for me to venture out there. Anyway the view was nice. We visited the penthouse bar early one evening, just as the sun was setting. There weren't many people up there but the view was fantastic! We took several photos. We didn't stay for a drink because, again, the temp was a little too low for me to hang out, but I'm sure it's amazing in the summer when it's nice and hot. I read some of the other posts before I reserved a room that mentioned the noise on the 11th floor so I specifically requested a room on a lower floor that was not near the elevator. No problem with noise at all and I slept like a baby. I can see how someone on a business trip or with kids might be disappointed in this property. It is not the place for either one of these types of travelers but I think that is pretty clear when you look at the hotel's website. This is a good place for young couples who are looking to have a good time and groups of singles (bachelors and bachelorette parties). I would highly recommend it to those groups but I would tell my parents and my brother (who is married with 2 kids) to stay far, far away.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a mid floor (3-7) and away from the elevator to avoid noise.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (3,636)

Reviewed 20 May 2012

My boyfriend and I booked a room here last minute. We were very pleasantly surprised. The hotel's atmosphere is very hip, trendy, and chic. At the time, there was also a red carpet event being hosted by the hotel, but this did not deter from the hotel's superb service. This is by far the best hotel we have stayed in! We stayed in a Gold level room which had a great sound system for our ipod, very cool and elegant furniture, and an extremely comfortable bed. The room was absolutely gorgeous, we even had a view of the Empire State Building! All in all, we cant wait to return to the Dream Hotel and we highly recommend it!!!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 May 2012

I stayed at Dream Downtown on a recent business trip in NYC in May. It was very well situated in the heart of the meatpacking district. The hottest restaurants, bars, clubs, and shops were in close proximity. Typically boutiquey hotels are all show/design and no substance; ohh did the Dream Downtown prove me wrong. The service was remarkably incredible as they pay a tremendous amount of attention to the little things that high-end hotels fail to do. I will definitely be back on my next visit.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 May 2012

Not a quiet hotel. But staff was nice and room very, very clean.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 May 2012

A excellent girls weekend location. I came here with my sisters to celebrate her birthday and it was a weekend well spent. The staff was excellent, very friendly and accommodating. The front desk was filled with eager workers happy to please. The rooms were nice, modern and filled with high tech gadgets. The gym looked very nice as well even though I did not actually workout in it. The pool was very chic and a nice place to hangout during the day, though I need to warn you it gets very hot between two reflecting buildings so stay hydrated!!

My only complaint is the bartender at PHD, he had an attitude, he did not know how to make a Caipirinha and he argued about what it is supposed to be to a group of Brazilians.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends