“Ultramodern Hotel that is not entirely practical”
Review of Hotel Americano

Ranked #392 of 470 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 26 September 2012

We stayed here over Labor Day. I wanted to stay in this design hotel. It was neat, but I ended up feeling it was over-designed to the point many things were impractical. Bed on the floor is not all that comfortable to get in and out. I found the sheets to barely cover the mattress so that they would constantly slip off. The room was small, but so are most of New York hotel rooms. The bathroom was a cool design, but again impractical. The sink was so small so that my partner's hand was larger than the sink. The shelf area to hold your toiletries was maybe about 2.5 inches wide so that placing things on it was difficult. Toiletries provided were nice. Aesop. They were generous with those. The lighting in the bathroom was poor. I enjoyed the glassed wall open into the room. Lighting in the room in general was hard to figure out. Many switches, but unclear which one works what device. Just a minor annoyance. I loved the restaurant and we had package that included breakfast which I thought was very generous in what it offered and fun!!! Good food. Service tended to be nice. Rooftop was OK. The pool is very small and more of a plunge pool. This area can be crowded. View out of our room was boring. We were on a high floor, but facing south. Would recommend north view. Neighborhood is OK. Hotel is a little out of the way which I did not mind. It is right around the corner of the High Line Park and this was great! Fun to walk towards downtown that way. When I re-read my comments, I really want to give this property more of a 3.5 rating.

Room Tip: North facing rooms.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank danielswiss64
Will J, Marketing & Communications at Hotel Americano, responded to this reviewResponded 1 October 2012

Hello Daniel,

We would first like to thank you for your review. We are always open to our guests critiques, and we look to it as a way of always improving. We are a boutique Design Hotel, but we are not every taste. We are sorry you did not fully enjoy your stay with us, but we hope you will give us another shot and we would love to make your next stay a much more pleasant one. Please feel free to contact me directly and I would love to set up your reservation, MDoci@hotel-americano.com.

Thank you again for your review.

Best,

Reviewed 23 September 2012

This place is a joke right? The front desk staff is ridiculous. They are clueless and rude.The room: where to start, a bed on the floor and a bean bag chair? thats about it. The wort hotel room I have ever seen. Silly, uncomfortable is an understatement.
The bar upstairs is super, of course ruined by the awful service.
NYC has so many options for cool. hip spots, Do yourself a favor and GO SOMEWHERE ELSE.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank jeffnwoody
Will J, Marketing & Communications at Hotel Americano, responded to this reviewResponded 25 September 2012

Jeff,

We are truly sorry you did not enjoy your time at Hotel Americano. We try our best to comply to our guests needs, and it is very sad to hear that you did not feel satisfied with your stay. We are thankful for your review, as it will help us assess issues more clearly. We take service very seriously, and we pride ourselves in having an excellent and knowledgeable staff. We hope you will return to Hotel Americano in the near future, so we may have a second chance with you. Please feel free to contact me and I would love to take care of your reservation mdoci@hotel-americano.com

Thank you once again!

Very best,

Reviewed 12 September 2012

I stayed at Hotel Americano in early July 2012 & I loved the hotel! The lobby is cool & intimate with lovely smelling candles, cool books & a small sitting area- the reception desk staff were cool to say the least- not overly friendly, but hip & efficient. The doormen were fantastic & charming & quickly got me a cab when departing! I live in the city, but wanted to try the hotel & glad I did- I love this particular part of New York & I'm in love with the High Line, so this area is super ideal for me since the hotel practically clings to the High Line!

I was in room 74. When checking in, I was given a long rod which you have to use for the Elevator & to activate the lights in your room- really strange, but at least you can leave the key at the desk when leaving for the day to explore. To begin, if you are a business traveler, traveling with children, or love functionality in a hotel room, I wouldn't recommend staying here, due to the following reasons (none of which bothered me): there is practically no where to sit, aside from a really unattractive black bean bag which I didn't use. There is a very small, low to the ground desk with a small green very low to the ground chair to sit on- not really comfy, but fine for me. My room was very small, but I loved this fact. The bed was super comfortable & the A/C kept my room super cold :) The pillows & sheets were awesome! The cool concrete floors, cool view of the buildings & High Line, info packed IPad, Unique mini bar items, & long mirror were awesome- loved all of these features! The bathroom had a truly amazing rain shower & was stocked with lovely smelling Aesop toiletries from Australia- Loved the scent- perfect for Summer or anytime of the year!

The restaurant was lovely & I loved the design, silverware, flatware, glasses, linen, etc- all perfect in design & execution! The Food was solid. I loved the Eggs Benedict & freshly pressed Orange Juice for Breakfast- amazing! I ordered lunch in the restaurant as well & had the Chicken Quesadilla- not the best, but decent. I ordered Room Service for dinner which arrived in a Bento Box. The salad was fine. The chicken wasn't the best. The Dressing & fresh parmesan were amazing, but I needed more dressing (only a very small takeout container arrived). The Chocolate Mousse for dessert was absolutely amazing, as was the Iced Tea- just lovely! The mini-bar was well stocked with local snacks & good drinks!

The overall feel of my room was great & I enjoyed the low-key, hip, NYC vibe 100%.

This is a unique property & most certainly won't be for everyone, but if you are seeking an alternative to hotels in Midtown, I would def. try the property! I'll be back for another staycation soon!

Best,
Patrick Winkler

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank patrickwNewYork_NY

Hello Patrick,

I would like to thank you for your wonderful review of us. We truly appreciate it and are so happy to hear that your 'staycation' was pleasant. Please let us know if you will be returning to the hotel anytime soon. You can personally email me and I would be glad to set up your reservation, MDoci@hotel-americano.com. Once again, thank you so much !

Reviewed 30 August 2012

I think that some of the negative reviews about the hotel are totally missing the point.

I loved it and for the second time in my life I had the experience of being genuinely sad to leave a hotel.

The rooms are stylishly functional, practical and comfortable and the details from the Ipad loaded with music (I shall have the dreamy Tua Na Lua in my head for a long time) to the box of nibbles and the excellent bathroom products, to the big comforatable beds, to the attentiveness of the housekeeping team who seemed to clean my room everytime made it pleasurable.

The rooftop pool and restaurant is a lovely place to hangout on a summers day and a great retreat from the humidity of the streets below.

But, it's not the building that makes this place it's the people.

Relaxed, friendly, never pushy or in your face in that way that US hotels can sometimes be, I felt genuinely part of the family.

From the extremely lovely Joanna and her colleagues on reception, to the colombian guys I had a joke with as I rolled back in at 6am in the morning to the barmen chatting whilst serving me expresso as I nursed another hangover, to Jose who brought me drinks while I chilled by the pool it was always a pleasure talking to young, friendly, articulate people who always seemed to be always there to help but never to busy to talk.

A great place and officially my favourite hotel in New York.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Ben_Pain
Will J, Marketing & Communications at Hotel Americano, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2012

Ben, thank you very much for your great review! We are very happy to hear that you not only enjoyed your stay, but truly understood what we are trying to convey to our guests. We would love for you to stay with us again next time you are in NYC. Please contact me directly mdoci@hotel-americano.com and I will love to set up your reservation. Thank you once again!

Marketing & Communication

Reviewed 23 August 2012

Let me start by saying I LIKE "design" hotels. In New York I well enjoyed Morgans back in the day, as well as the original Royalton, Paramount, and Hudson. In Milan I loved both the Straf and the Gray, and so on. But lately it seems each new designer boutique hotel has to be more novel, more extreme, than the last. And the inevitable result is a hotel like the Americano, probably the most ridiculous hotel I have ever tried.

My tiny room had essentially two pieces of furniture - the bed, which was a mattress on the floor like a college student sleeps on, and a black patent-leather (shiny vinyl) beanbag chair. Now I'm not a phobic type of guy, but I looked at that chair and asked myself, how many couples have had their way with that chair? I literally didn't want to touch it, I didn't even want to lay my clothes on it. This is "design"??

The other thing that seems to be happening to hotel rooms these days is that they're full of "secrets". In this room, the designer decided to hide the TV remote in a secret compartment in the floor beside the bed with an unmarked lid. Heaven forbid somebody should SEE the unsightly TV remote. The other secret I never figured out was how to turn on the sink and shower lighting. I flipped every switch I could find in the entire room without success. When I told the receptionist that I never got the lighting to work she very dismissively asked me why I didn't call reception. To turn on the lights!

Yes the rooftop bar was pretty cool, too bad the service was so terrible. I mean, our waitress was completely in lala land even after my party stressed that we had dinner reservations we had to meet.

Let me end by saying something nice - the Aesop toiletries were very good.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
5  Thank GiftBizGuy
Will J, Marketing & Communications at Hotel Americano, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2012

We would like to start off by saying we are very sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us. We are constantly growing and improving, so your review is highly helpful to us. We do wish you had pointed out some of you problems to us, so we could have made the remainder of your stay pleasant. We take constructive criticism well, and we hope you will return to stay with us in the future so we may make your second visit worthwhile! Thank you again.

Marketing & Communication