“Loved it!”

Hotel 48LEX New York
Ranked #62 of 469 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 13 September 2012

Great hotel! Good mid-town location. Nice walking distance to Central Park, Times Square, stores and restaurants. The hotel seems new or freshly remodeled. Although I actually don't mind chain hotels, especially for business trips, this one is a Hyatt property but had a boutique feel to it and it was personable. The decor is modern and very comfortable. My room was fairly spacious for NY, very clean, smelled nice and fresh when I walked in. I loved the furniture, very modern but not over the top. Nice, comfy bed, large screen flat HDTV (had a welcome message on the screen with my name on it - nice touch!), a kitchenette with a wine bar, fridge, microwave and a mini dishwasher. I did not request any of this, so I was under the impression that all rooms are equipped with such amenities.  I felt so bad that I was only staying one night and all by myself so I did not get to fully enjoy it. I told my husband on the phone that we must stay here when we visit NY together. Loved the bathroom too. Nice lighting with two settings, great, powerful hair dryer (my pet peeve since I have a lot of hair and really struggle in hotel rooms). Couple of watch-outs: I could use a little more counter space in the bathroom. It had some but not plenty. And, for those who prefer baths to a shower, my room only had a shower. I did not mind it, since I always take showers anyway and this one is really neat, but I thought it was worth mentioning.  The hotel rate was also very, very reasonable for NY in the middle of the Fashion Week.

I did not get to try the restaurant as I already had plans for the evening. One thing that I missed was a gift shop. Honestly, now that I think of it, I really didn't ask if they had it, but I did not see it, assumed they didn't so on my way back from dinner, I stopped by a store around the corner to get some water for the room.

There is a lounge room on the second floor that offers a few complimentary items such as fresh pastry in the morning which I enjoyed the next day before checking out.

The staff was absolutely amazing! When I first checked in I came straight from the airport and was stuck in traffic for almost two hours, tired, thirsty and cranky. But as soon as I came in, two very attentive staff members quickly processed the check-in, asked about my preferences, gave me a room on a high floor per my request, assured me that the hotel has double window panes so I would not hear the traffic, gave me a glass of fresh lemonade and whisked me away to my room in a matter of a couple of minutes. I felt like I just took a good nap - it was so nice. Then, later that night, I received an e-mail from the hotel manager asking me how everything was and if I needed anything else. They really made me feel like I was the only guest in the hotel. Unfortunately, I only stayed one night this time but will definitely come back!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank ann7544
Brian T, Manager at Hotel 48LEX New York, responded to this reviewResponded 13 September 2012

ann7544-

Thank you for taking the time to post about your most recent stay with us at the Hyatt 48 Lex. We are extremely happy that you enjoyed your stay, and we hope to welcome you back in the future.

BEst,

Reviewed 12 September 2012

We just completed a 4 night stay combining points and cash. The hotel is really nice. The rooms are comfortable, well appointed, and up-to-date (nice HDTV, plenty of outlets, bedside switches, etc.). The Lexington Lounge on the second floor was a treat with complementary snacks, a variety of newspapers, and comfortable seating. Best of all was the staff. Everyone was very friendly. We mentioned that this was an anniversary and Jessica Del Valle, the front desk manager, sent up a bottle of wine and some cupcakes. Just icing on the cake....

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Redwood789

Paul0747-

Happy Anniversary, and thanks for spending it with us. I am glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and we hope you return soon.

Reviewed 12 September 2012

Good service - held room even though checked in at 2am after being at US Open all night.

Good location - short walking distance to Grand Central, Times Square and others.

Good value - used points, and as of the time of this review, still a category 4 hotel. Hope it stays that way, although heard rumors it may be reclassified as the hotel has only been open for a short time.

Good room - upgraded to corner suite, and provided pull out couch upon request.

Good lounge - free juice, coffee, fruit and pastries every morning.

Good concierge - good recommendation for food and good instructions.

Good decor - clearly a newer hotel with a nice contemporary feel.

Good bed/bedroom - comfortable bed

Overall, good experience. Would certainly go again even though had three small issues (elevator was down two separate times; shower temp fluctuated slightly every shower, was billed $10 for mini bar use even though never used [Hyatt agreed to reverse charges]).

Room Tip: Request free pull out sofa room (not all rooms had them) if you need it.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends

PaulR-

Thanks for staying with us, sorry about the mini bar miss posting. I hope all was corrected. If I can provide any addtional assistance please let me know.

Reviewed 11 September 2012

Another terrific stay at the Hyatt . From our warm greeting when we enter the doors....to Carlos at the registration desk.....who remembered us from a previous visit, perfect. We arrived early, but Carlos was eager to get us a room and enjoy our stay. Our room was large with a great view of the city. Very clean and anything we needed was promptly brought to our room. The lounge on 2nd floor was great for a complimentary beverage and snack. Computers are available to print boarding passes. The staff at this hotel are always smiling and genuinlly willing to help.
Definitely the place to say again.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple

Thanks for your comments!

Carlos is a great asset to the Hyatt 48 Lex. We are extremely lucky to have him.

Glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 11 September 2012

Where to start... I'm here for business which usually means a long boring trip without the mrs. spending most my time in the room. So what I want is a large room, nice luxury and a place to separate work and bedtime. Well you're not going to get that in most NY hotel rooms... Generally small and hominess... Enter the Hyatt 48 Lex. Probably not the cheapest hotel room but like I said its for biz and I'm a platinum. At first, the booked terrace room wasn't available so I got a regular room much smaller and w/out a balcony. So the review really is about the corner suite w the balcony... I'm not entirely happy about the downgrade at first but the regular room is really nicely laid out and well furnished... Didn't bother me for long.

Pros:
Huge room separate living, bath, 'kitchen', wrap around balcony, and bed.
Modern but elegant finishes... Dark woods, sleek steel, nicely done... Great standup shower w tiles...Typical Hyatt in my experience so far...
Two 37/42" flat screens
Great customer service... Clean rooms, helpful concierge, available lounge area in lieu of lobby... Everyone is Super helpful and always has a smile...
Clean and updated room, from wooden furniture to drapes to tvs and amenity kits
Turndown service w chocolates
Lex lounge offers fruits, coffee, tea, in addition to some pastries in the morning and cheese at night, free PC/biz center on a working Mac with printer... Nice "free" space for all
Free Internet for plats otherwise is 15/day w ability to swap device, only one per room at rate.
Although I didnt use... Small out of the way fridge, dish washer, minibar, wine bar, yes in room wine selection...and second 'kitchen' sink

Cons;
Prob due to the only two elevators the wait can be kinda slow since it services the entire bldg plus cleaning crew during peak hours
Location is a bit far east for my liking, but it's not awful... Waldorf and Interconnential is nearby, so you'd have to say the same about them...
Doors are heavy but the sound is kinda bad... Try not to stay near elevator or exit doors, but oddly enough it seems like this hotel is quiet as a mouse after 10... Dif type crowd id say... Fairly priced, a bit higher than mid tier but worth it.
10/15 min to central park, 5/7 min from fifth ave

Would definitely stay again, lex brass restaurant was quite good, you could do a lot worse for hotel restaurant... Didn't mind eating here at all. Wait staff seem really friendly.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business

Thanks for the Comment!

I cant agree with you more, we really are a nice luxury retreat in NY!