1,794 results
All reviews second floor lounge corner suite new york floor to ceiling windows boutique hotel wine and cheese wine hour grand central station grand hyatt mini bar coffee machine great boutique lounge area great room midtown manhattan street noise nyc hotels
Reviewed 14 February 2012

Myself and my partner stayed here for 7 nights.

Pros -

Our first impressions were excellent as we received a welcome email from the concierge William. I have stayed in a lot of hotels and have never got this. He then arranged a sports bar to watch the Super Bowl as we were there on that Sunday. This was a fantastic location, great food and cheap beers...
Our check in was smooth and we were given a high floor on request. Floor 21. Some reviews state that the lifts were slow but we did not find this at all.
The room was great, and large for NY standards. We stayed in the Lexington Suite.
Location of the hotel is great, and a safe walking area at night. A few blocks down the road near the Grand Hyatt is the Grand Central Station. There is a excellent food marketplace if you want anything. It has fresh fruit etc... There is a Lexington Lounge available for all guests to use on the 2nd floor. It has good free coffee and tea. In the mornings they have baked goods as well, and in the afternoon a really nice cheese platter.
This is also where the concierge is located if you need anything. There is also a Mac to use for internet/printing etc... This is also free.
Also in your room is a Nespresso to use. So if you have one at home you could bring your own pods if you like, or they provide 2 decaf and 2 blue pod to use.

The rooms were also really quiet, we did have a vent that kept running all night which was a bit annoying but you got used to that.

Cons -
I suppose staying here for the length that we did we were bound to see a few faults. On our last 2 nights, there was a problem with the TV. I mean you are in NY so who would want to watch TV but it is nice to have on in the background etc... I called down to reception and they said they would get back to me which they didn't. The next morning it was still not working and we found out that all of the tv's had to be manually reset as they were doing a upgrade.

The toilet blocked up a few times, apparently this is not unusual for NYC.

Houskeeping was a bit slack. In saying this the room was always clean with new towels etc, but on the toilet paper/shampoos etc they never replaced them. We had to call down to reception 2x to get more toilet paper (this was not the reason for the blocked toilet hehe)

Wifi cost $14.95 per day. With wifi being so accessible everywhere else for free e.g. starbucks, this was a let down. As a friend said the other day, what you stayed somewhere with no free wifi!

All in all it was a great hotel, I think when they sort out a few teething problems it would be a excellent place to stay all the time. We will definitely be back to stay when in Manhatten.

Room Tip: *Ask for a high room*
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 February 2012

Had a great stay at the Hyatt 48Lex.

Check-in was easy and an upgraded room was offered even though I wasn't an elite level loyalty guest.

Nice !

The room was clean, crisp and with the wall to ceiling windows it had a real New York feeling.

Nice !

The whole hotel has access to the "club level" on the second floor with snacks, beverages, computer work station and lounge chairs.

Nice !

My Business plan rate included free breakfast and Internet.

Nice!

My free breakfast in the restaurant was just ok.....the lunch I had at the restaurant was bland and not that fresh. Unless you have free food skip this place. Hang out on the "club level" on the second floor or take in another restaurant in the neighborhood.

Not so nice !

Hey Hyatt....fix the restaurant !

• Stayed: February 2012
Reviewed 8 February 2012

Stayed for first time at this property for a NYC weekend and had 3 rooms. Check in easy and having reserved three different rooms the agent asked if we wanted to see the rooms first and decide which type we would like .. I assume the hotel was not fully booked to allow for the choice. Ended up with a terrance room and two superior king. Both room types were great and although not large they were decorated beautifully. The terrace room was great with a very large patio but only with two chairs. Assume there will be more furniture when the weather improves. The rooms were all very quiet from the outside street noise. The kitchen does seems strange but if we were there long term I guess it would be nice to have. The lodge was very nice, staff extremely helpful and friendly --nice place to relax, read the NY Times and have coffee or a cocktail. Had a problem with charges on the bill that when mentioned where removed and had a "room service" charge on my card days later (hate that practice) but one call and it was removed. Parking, valet, is very expensive but the garage down the street was more reasonable and gave us a discount with the hotel validation. (The hotel should tell people this on the site but guess they want the valet fee!) Will go back without a second thought.

Room Tip: The terrace room would be great for nice weather!
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank PHLBizTraveler
MWagnerHyatt48Lex, General Manager at Hotel 48LEX New York, responded to this reviewResponded 18 February 2012

Dear PHLBizTraveler,

We are pleased to learn you had a "Great Experience" with us here at the Hyatt 48 Lex. Thank you for shout out on tripadvisor, and we look forward to having you as a guest in the future.

Best,

Mark Wagner

Reviewed 5 February 2012

Unfortunately I chose this hotel over the other Hyatt properties in NYC, and I can't see myself ever returning or recommending it. I love Hyatt as a brand and go out of my way to stay at Hyatt's whenever possible.  I have outlined below the major issues that I experienced:

We didn't get the room type we booked, and have to move rooms 3 times. Keep in mind I'm a Diamond.

The temperature in each of the 3 rooms we were in could not actually be lowered.  Even though we put the thermostat on 65, it never dropped below 73.

They took over 90 minutes to bring up a towel, which they should have had in the room anyway since they knew there were 4 people in the room, not 3.  I called down and they confirmed that I had called 88 minutes prior, but still took another 20 minutes to bring it up.

The ice they sent up had bugs frozen in it. Seriously, I have pictures.

Housekeeping came in despite the privacy please sign being prominently displayed

Our keys were deactivated because we hadn't checked out, even though we had been granted a late checkout.

I wanted to like the hotel, but it was hands down the worst stay I've had at any Hyatt, ever. Any one of these factors is unacceptable, let alone all of them together.

• Stayed: January 2012
1  Thank cxw44

Dear cxw44,

I am truly sorry to hear that your stay was plagued by so many disappointments, as this is not in anyway shape or form indicative of who we are. Be rest assured that all of these matters have been looked into and addressed with all areas involved. We too would like the chance to have you like our hotel as you mentioned. I am certain that given the opportunity we would be able to create the experience that you would expect and deserve. We hope to see you on a future visit.

Mark Wagner

Reviewed 1 February 2012

I always stay at Hyatts if available and this was another great choice! On the corner of Lexington and 48th, we could walk to MOMA, Times Square, Broadway theaters and more. Recently opened, the physical plant is pristine. The staff is top notch, knowledgeable and courteous and going out of their way to help. Rooms a little small - as they often are in NYC, sinks are interesting shape, but fail to drain quickly, room service menu could have more offerings, but these minor concerns pale in comparison with all the pluses.

• Stayed: January 2012