“Superd atmosphere and its location to Time Square!”

YOTEL New York at Times Square West
Ranked #134 of 469 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 24 May 2012 via mobile

My wife and I stayed in this hotel from Mau 16 till May 22nd. We just got lost when we arrived in Time Square because we tried to use public transportation to get to the hotel, which I believed the best way to get to know about the way of life in the Big Apple. From LGA we took a M60 bus then we got off at Astoria to take a subway train. If you plan to do this, you should take the N train. ( trains are numbered and lettered to identify which place you are heading.)

When we arrived at the hotel, the scent of the hotel was very striking. One can tell that this hotel is well-kept. Also, we were greeted by hospitalable crew at the check-in counter and helped us to get to our room quickly. The elevators are definitely quick due to it was organized in a way to avoid unnessary stops like control room and some floors that are not used by patrons.

Another thing I like about this hotel is the room and the small cabin located on the corner of each floor. Free coffee and hot chocolate. You can also make your own flavors by using the automatic coffee dispenser. In addition, there is a water despenser that has three selections: water, water with ice or ice only. I just bought a bottle of water from the pharmacy located in front of the hotel then kept refilling it everyday. This saved me a lot of money.

Moreover, the restaurant located on the 4th provides free muffins with different kinds of flavors. There is also coffee and milk. Whole milk, skim milk and half. They also have lounge where you can relax and the work station located on the same floor which gives free computer access for half and hour. If you like to buy tickets like tour, shows and bus and subway, their is a machine right next to the concierge.

The promptness of crew service, cleanliness of its hotel as well as the room price is very reasonable. More importantly, it is just 5 minutes away from Time Square and subway and train stations are accessible.

However this is not perfect. The shower room doesn't provide privacy. It only has curtains to separate the bed and restroom. Also, the window in the room
doesn't have adequate blinds to cover the cracks so the building in the front could see you while taking a bath. It is truly embarrassing.

Lets move on to the places that you needed to do to maximize your stay in New York.

Firstly, book your tour from real new york tours. This helps you to get familiarize the city and important events that happened that shape the united states. It's a long tour with too much walking so it is best to wear comfortable shoes before setting off.

Secondly, dine in in one of the prestigious hotels like Morimoto located on 10th ave and between 15 and 16 street. The restaurant is hard to find because they did not properly label it. There is a small printed morimoto on the left corner of the door. This well-known restaurant is named after the popular chef in Iron chef america.

Thirdly watch a broadway show such as wicked. It is absolutely entertaining and mind blowing experience.

Fourthly, spend some time to take the subway by purchasing unlimited ticket for a week( if you plan to spend your stay for a week, otherwise choose the one day unlimited pass.)

Finally, eat out at Stardust located in front of paramount plaza, where singing waitresses and waiters are there to entertain you.

So there you go, spend your holiday in New York and make the most out of it.

• Stayed: May 2012

Reviewed 24 May 2012

I cannot say one bad word about Yotel, it was simply perfect in every way! I stayed here for two weeks with my boyfriend to celebrate my 30th birthday and experience my first ever visit to New York, I was not disappointed. The location is fantastic, so close to Times Square, Port Authority bus station and Subway all of which are walkable within 5-10 minutes. The hotel itself is a fab design, it is a very modern, arty and almost futuristic, The rooms are just great, fab big shower, great big window, extremely comfortable bed which moves! great HD Tv and the size of the rooms are great. The free coffee in the galley is delicious and they even have decaff! The muffins in the mornings are very tasty and sometimes you also get croissants and bagels. The Japanese restaurant - Dohyo, is well worth trying, the food is very tasty! The staff are all so friendly and helpful and the service was the best it couldve been. The terrace was lovely if you get the right weather its well worth sitting out there, it doesnt feel like you are in a busy city. The yobot that stores your luggage is well worth using if you have time to kill between check out and heading to the airport, its a great gadget, every hotel should have one! I cannot fault this hotel it is simply the best! oh also try the cocktails on the happy hour menu - very tasty! I had the holiday of a lifetime and couldnt have wished for a better place to stay.

Room Tip: We had a top floor room, great views! probably better to ask for a higher level room.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Gina M, Guest Relations Manager at YOTEL New York at Times Square West, responded to this reviewResponded 26 May 2012

Hi Miffy82, Happy Belated 30th! We are so excited we got to share your birthday… AND your 1st NYC visit. Thanks so much for your review! Please feel free to contact us directly to plan your next special occasion. We hope to welcome you back soon!
P.S. Miffy, as in the adorable Dutch rabbit? Love those books!!!
-Gina, Guest Services Manager

Reviewed 24 May 2012

I really enjoyed staying at this hotel. The crew was very kind. Even when I had trouble with my cabin key, they were very helpful.
The hotel offers everything that we as a couple needed for our 1 week stay in NY. You get a small breakfast and there is a coffee & watermachine on every floor. There's a shower, a safe, free internet access... At night, I had a great time relaxing from all the NY noise (it's really quiet in the room)
At the last day we could store our luggage for free after we checked out.

For those complaining about the small rooms. Please start reading the websites of the hotels that you want to book. This is clearly the concept of the hotel. What you see on the Yotel website is what you really get. Yotel offers different kinds of rooms, if this is what you need.
i'll definitely want to book this hotel again for my next trip to NY.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 May 2012

I just came back from a 3 night stay at Yotel NYC.
The hotel is very cool and adds up to the whole New York City experience. The pricing was also reasonable, considering it's a new hotel with a great location. However, I don't think it's a good place to go with kids:
1) Yotel is a party hub, hands down. Expect not only singles and couples but mostly a gay crowd.
2) Most of the times there were several groups of guests smoking right in front of the hotel. This is the waiting area for cabs. Since I don't smoke, this was something that I didn't appreciate. I didn't like my toddler breathing that second-hand smoke either.
3) The space is small. Really small. Our lastest Disney cruise cabin was bigger than our cabin at the Yotel. The mattress was really hard and covered in plastic, which made it extremely warm at nights.
4) The restaurant is great. Most of our meals were there and we enjoyed every single one of them. However, no kids meals. The only thing kid-like they had were french fries...but they were so spicy my toddler couldn't eat them.

So I'm sort of divided if it's my kind of hotel and if I would visit again...I loved the futuristic decor, the design, the technology that's present everywhere, the views from our room, the uber chic shower, the lavazza coffee machine on each floor...but would definitely prefer another ambiance, another kind of crowd...perhaps a more family-oriented one.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family

Hi whitefieldtravels, thanks for the review! Did your kids get a chance to check out the ‘Galley’ with free hot chocolate or Cabins with bunk-style beds? They are usually a favorite among our young friends. Great input for the restaurant; thank you so much! We will certainly be sharing this. We do have individual temperature control units in each Cabin to set to your preference. My apologies if this was not communicated to you. As we are a non-smoking hotel, unfortunately we cannot control where guests catch a cigarette break outside, however, we do hope that you appreciated the smokeless environment throughout all of our public spaces and Cabins. Thanks again whitefieldtravels! Hopefully we will have the opportunity to welcome you back soon, with or without the kids!
-Gina, Guest Services Manager

Reviewed 23 May 2012

Overall great hotel, great service , rooms are clean , location is perfect. We were traveling with a two year old and he enjoyed his stay very much as well.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family