YOTEL New York
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
The New Yorker A Wyndham Hotel(New York City)(Great Value!)
USD 375*
  • Room Service
Room Mate Grace(New York City)(Great Value!)
USD 215*
USD 199*
USD 370*
USD 347*
SmithHotels.com
  • Restaurant
Hilton Times Square(New York City)(Great Value!)
USD 257*
USD 222*
USD 219*
  • Restaurant
Millennium Hilton New York Downtown(New York City)(Great Value!)
USD 260*
USD 229*
  • Restaurant
Crowne Plaza Times Square Manhattan(New York City)(Great Value!)
USD 313*
USD 262*
CrownePlaza.com
  • Restaurant
Lotte New York Palace(New York City)
USD 617*
  • Bar/Lounge
Blue Moon Hotel(New York City)(Great Value!)
USD 296*
USD 119*
  • Breakfast included
Salisbury Hotel(New York City)(Great Value!)
USD 168*
USD 161*
Travelocity
11,589 results
All reviewsmission controlthe galleyfree muffinspremium cabintimes squarenew yorkrooms are smallfourth flooryour luggageport authorityjavits centercool hotelhell's kitchentea coffeehudson riverqueen bedfew blocks
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 14 April 2012

We stayed at the Yotel for 5 nights at the beginning of April, and we LOVED it! The staff are all very pleasant and helpful, and are happy to help you with anything you need. The room was small but had everything we needed. The bed was very comfortable and everything was spotlessly clean. Each floor has a galley, which is a small room with tea and coffee making facilities, as well as a microwave and fridge (all free!) and drinks machine. This was a fantastic facility and the coffee machine made lovely lavazza coffee! The fourth floor had a great little bar area, and the happy hour between 5-7pm was great value, with glasses of wine at 4 dollars (bargain!). The hotel was in a great location, too, taking roughly 10 minutes to walk into the centre of times square. Taxis were also easy to flag down right outside the hotel.
I will certainly be staying here again when I return to New York, this hotel is perfect.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 April 2012

It´s a modern, very clean and well situated hotel in New York. We loved the Lavazza coffee machine, we hope it will be there always.

Room Tip: Our corner suite was large and had a beautiful view. Each floor has a great coffee machine (Lavazza)
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 April 2012

Very clean and fast internet access available throughout the hotel. There is what they call "the galley" on each floor, which gives the guest access 24/7 to complimentary coffee, tea, and ice water. A microwave is available there as well and you can buy soda through a soda machine. The personnel are friendly and helpful. Nice outdoor view from the 5th floor, especially at night. Perfect for petite people or someone on a business trip. The restaurant is pricey for the portions, but there are many nearby places to catch a bite. It is closeby to many shows, the movie theatre, cuisines, shopping, and the train station as long as you are "mobile," which most people are. For your convenience, there is a blowdryer, flat screen tv, and iron. Bring your own soap as their eco-friendly soap doesn't smell pretty at all. Would recommend this hotel and would stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 April 2012

Stayed here as a result of going into the theater. Very clean priced right.
Would definitely return, bare bones but had ll you need. My visit was pleasure, but would be great for a business person.

Stayed: April 2012
Reviewed 12 April 2012

As soon as you arrive at the Yotel, it's clear that you're in for something slightly different. At night, the neon purple frontage of the hotel casts a glow over the entire street and as you enter the revolving doors, you are struck by the lack of any reception area. The reason for that is very simple - the reception is on the fourth floor. Check-in is done on the ground floor by touchscreen computer and there are always plenty of staff around if you need help. As you enter the Yotel, you can't help but notice the Yobot (a fully automated luggage robot), but more of this later.

Take the lift to the fourth floor and you start to get a feel for the hotel. Reception is in front of the lifts (sorry, 'elevators') and it's on this floor that you'll also find the bar, dining area (where breakfast is served) and nightclub. The first lift only runs between floors one and four, so you now catch a second lift to your floor. In our case, this was the 25th. You use the swipe card you were issued with at reception to select the floor you want in the lift - just hold the card in front of the reader and it will automatically select your floor. The lifts are great - very quick and very quiet (and this comes from someone with a real dislike for lifts). On entering the room, the first impression is maybe that it's a little small. Everything's certainly very compact - the bed, for example, is on a remote control, so that during the day it's raised with the back up (great for watching the flat screen TV in front of you) and at night you simply press the button to lower it so that it becomes flat. The toilet and shower are not behind a closed door - there is simply a clear glass 'wall' that slides across, so probably not the hotel for any couples with major inhibitions, or perhaps for those in the early stages of a relationship. The shower is great - very large (large enough for two people, in fact!) with a good thermostatic control. The window to the room can be partially opened, but to be honest, you're in the heart of New York and even on the 25th floor, it's noisy - 24 hours a day. With the window closed, you really don't get any outside noise and if temperatures are high, all rooms have air conditioning which you can set to the desired temperature. The views from the 25th floor were great - particularly at night, and our room looked over towards the Hudson River.

My wife's main concern when we arrived was the lack of wardrobe/drawer space. There is no wardrobe as such, but two areas for hanging shirts/trousers/skirts, with hangers supplied. There are also a limited number of small drawers, but in truth, we ended up living out of our suitcases for the five days we were there. I was slightly worried at my wife's initial comment regarding the lack of storage space, but I have noted her comment on leaving the Yotel at the very end of this review, which may tell you a lot. There is also a safe in every room, which is free, so keeping money/credit cards/phones etc. in the room is no problem. You simply choose a four digit PIN and enter this into the safe. Just don't forget your PIN!

We were not expecting breakfast, so were surprised to find that there was a free breakfast everyday, between 7.30 and 10.00am. There is tea and coffee, as well as herbal teas and water. The only food on offer is muffins, but there are a variety to choose from - cranberry, blueberry, banana, nut etc. You can upgrade to a more substantial breakfast if you wish, but I've no idea how much this costs. To be honest, if you want a big breakfast, there are any number of diners around that offer good food at reasonable cost. I would recommend the Tick Tock Diner over on 8th Avenue (near the New Yorker Hotel). As you sit and eat your muffins (which are good), you'll notice the birdsong that permeates the air. This is piped 'music' and I thought it all just added to the 'quirkiness' of the place. There is proper music in all other areas of the hotel, including the lifts.

The location of the Yotel is excellent. Walk up 42nd Street and you are in Times Square in around 15 minutes. Walk down 42nd Street and you can be at the Hudson River in the same time. This is where the Circle Line boat cruises go from, so it's an easy walk to go and book your tickets for a trip that I'd highly recommend. If you turn right out of the Yotel and cross over 42nd Street, continuing along 10th Avenue, there are a few restaurants, but 9 times out of 10, you will probably gravitate towards Times Square, where as you would expect, there are restaurants and bars everywhere.

On every floor in the Yotel, there is a galley kitchen. You are free to access this 24 hours a day (using your swipe card) and there you have free iced water, tea and coffee (the machine will do hot water, Americano, Latte, Mocha, Hot chocolate, Chi etc. etc.), a fridge which you are free to use and even a microwave. There is also a drinks machine, with bottles of Coke and Sprite etc., for $2 each. This was something else we weren't expecting and it was really nice to be able to make tea or coffee anytime we wanted it. You can spend a small fortune on these things when you're away for a few days, so to have it included in the cost of the hotel is a real bonus.

The staff at the Yotel were always polite and helpful. The only issue I had was with the concierge who I spoke to about the Circle Line boat cruises. I knew there were 1, 2 and 3 hour options, yet he was telling a different story. When he eventually decided there was a 3 hour trip, he said this only ran once a day at 7.00pm. I knew this wasn't true as I'd spoken to other people who had taken the cruise during the day, so left it there, walked down to the Hudson River and booked it myself. On reflection, I guess he wasn't selling Circle Line cruises but those of a rival company, though I don't know why he couldn't tell me that. As the Circle Line dock is only a 15 minute walk from the hotel anyway, I would make your own arrangements.

We flew into Newark Airport. Before we left the UK, I booked a bus from Newark to NYC online (USA Coaches). For the two of us, this was only $54 return and if you do the same, you need to get off at the Port Authority Bus Terminal on 42nd Street (the buses also stop at two other places). From there, it's a very short walk down 42nd Street (i.e. away from Times Square), to the Yotel. Easily manageable, even with a couple of suitcases.

I must also mention the food seller just outside the Yotel (at the corner of 10th Avenue and 42nd Street). You will find these all over NYC and I'm sure they are all much the same, but if you want a quick snack, I would highly recommend the chicken or lamb gyros. Really tasty and only $4! The Yotel do not mind you taking food into the hotel, either.

Now for the Yobot! If, like us, you are checking out of the hotel in the morning, but not flying until later that day, then the Yotel will store your luggage for you. Or rather, the Yobot will, Just use the touchscreen to request a large or small bin, enter your name and a pin no., and the Yobot will pick up your cases and store them in the wall of boxes in front of you. You'll get a printed receipt with a bar code, Just scan this on your return and the Yobot will retrieve your luggage for you. At all no charge. In truth it would be much easier to give your bags to someone to store in a room somewhere, but where's the fun in that? It can only handle one person at a time, so try and avoid queues, but it's great fun and I guarantee that you'll leave with at least one photograph of it!

We loved the Yotel. It's fresh, it's funky and it really grows on you. It has a large gay following, so if this bothers you, then you'd best go elsewhere, but I would highly recommend it. The atmosphere is very friendly and the beds extremely comfortable and clean.

I mentioned earlier that my wife had a initial concern on seeing the room that there was not enough storage for clothing. She was a bit fraught about this as she likes to unpack and put everything in place before relaxing. It's true that there wasn't a lot of storage space, but then how much time do you intend spending in the room? We were out all day, every day, and shattered when we returned. Anyway, her departing comment was not something I'll forget and was very telling (especially if you know my wife). ''If we come back to New York, I wouldn't want to stay anywhere else but the Yotel.'' My sentiments exactly.

Room Tip: The higher you go, the better the views!
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple