“Atmospheric restaurant.”
Review of Red Rooster Harlem

Red Rooster Harlem
Reserve with OpenTable
Red Rooster Harlem is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #746 of 15,779 Restaurants in New York City
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Harlem
Cross street: Between 125th and 126th Street
Reviewed 10 August 2018

My wife and I ate here on our anniversary during our recent NYC holiday, the restaurant is easy to find, just a short walk from the 125th St. subway station, and you can't really miss either the signage or the big Red Rooster statue outside!

We'd made a reservation, so jumped the queue for tables and we were seated quickly, provided water, menus and a run down of specials.

We started by sharing some crab tostadas, which tasted better than it looked - you'll have to trust me!

For mains, I had shrimp and grits which was delicious, the first time I've ever had grits, but hopefully not the last. We are pescetarian, and RR were more than happy to adjust the dish to my needs (it normally comes with Chorizo too). My wife had salmon with summer vegetables, and thoroughly enjoyed her chunky fillet of salmon, so much so, she ate the skin too!
We finished by indulging in a plate of smores and ice-cream, which was deliciously decadent, rounding off our meal nicely.
My wife also had a 'Yes Chef' cocktail, vodka based, which was strong, but really tasty.

Staff were attentive and far cooler than either of us! The restaurant is nicely split up into a proper seated/dining area, and a more casual bar setting, so I'd imagine if you wanted to just pop in for a drink, that would be the place to go.

My ONLY gripe is that the music was a touch too loud, but I guess that's a combination of the vibe the place is going for, and me getting prematurely old!

Highly recommended if you're heading out to Harlem!

Write a ReviewReviews (2,275)

Reviewed 10 August 2018

I have been wanting to try Red Rooster for a long time, and when it finally happened it didn't disappoint! Very nice place, good service and outstanding food! Mama's Breakfast Pie was delicious!

Guest R, General Manager at Red Rooster Harlem, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2018

We are so pleased, Gabriel, that your long awaited visit to Red Rooster Harlem did not disappoint! Thanks for sharing your experience, and we look forward to your return one day soon.
All the best,
Sheena and the Red Rooster Team

Reviewed 7 August 2018

I had the absolute pleasure of having dinner at Red Rooster with my daughter and her college roommate. It was probably the best meal we've ever eaten. Our waiter was incredibly attentive and we asked him for his recommendations.

My shrimp with grits were out of this world. I have never been a fan of grits, but these were packed with flavor. The rest of the dish was

Reviewed 2 August 2018

Stopped here for some late night dining with friends and really enjoyed the cool laid-back vibes. Our server was fantastic, as were the drinks and food. Be sure to try the cornbread - sooooo delish that we ordered more!!! After dinner, we wandered downstairs to the dancefloor which was really hopping. Then we came back upstairs to the main restaurant area and that was popping too! Overall great experience, so will definitely be back the next time we're in NYC.

Guest R, General Manager at Red Rooster Harlem, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2018

Dear Zelillem,
Thank you for taking the time to give such fantastic feedback on your visit to Red Rooster! We truly appreciate your highlighting our incredible cornbread and our cool laid back vibes. Also, our staff will be so happy to hear that they helped make your evening fantastic. Please visit us again soon!
All the best,
Sheena and the Red Rooster Team

Reviewed 1 August 2018 via mobile

The wait for food is too long. Really crowded. Make reservations. Decor is cool! Staff very friendly.

1  Thank Yolanda D