“Very compact, peaceful and well equipped budget hotel”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Saint Marks Place Studio Apartments
Reviewed 30 May 2011

The hotel is difficult to find and not sign posted at all. The entrance to the hotel is just one door on St Marks Street, but with no sign. In fact, the sign on the door is for a synagogue. This confused the hell out of me when I arrived and for about 20 minutes thought I had been ripped off by some internet scam.
There is a box on the wall next to the door, with a phone inside. After ringing through on this phone a gentleman finally answered the door and let me in, I realized this was the hotel and not some scam!
Anyway, once in I found the staff very polite and informative. There are a lot of stairs and narrow corridors in the hotel, so if you have difficulty with mobility then this is not the place for you! Also the room I had was very small, so if your staying with someone else make sure your good friends!
The rooms are very well equipped, with an amazing amount of stuff squashed into such a tight space. There is a pc (With free internet), television, bunk bed, sink, microwave, fridge, safe, draws and a chair. Also, there are a lot of security cameras in the building, which freaked me out at firsts as I thought I was being watched all the time, but I guess this is to stop crime/burglary in the hotel.
I only stayed for one night, but considering the prime location, managed to have a very peaceful sleep and would definitely recommend the hotel for anyone on a budget, looking to explore New York with a comfortable (not luxury) place to stay.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled solo
6  Thank Mcp138
There are newer reviews for Saint Marks Place Studio Apartments

Reviewed 28 April 2011

Cant recommend it enough! My cousin and I had been to nyc the year before and couldnt wait to go back. We thought we'd found a bargain with the last hotel, hotel 17, which was the most amazing hotel in the east village for very budget price (madonna used to live there, woody allen used it in his films) but st marks worked out to be about £20 each a night and in an amazing location in the east village near alphabet city and two stops from brooklyn. Perect! We had gigs booked at the bowry, and our favorite pubs were there so no complaints. The rooms are tiny, but clean, all with free working computers and internet, fridges and bunkbeds with clean whote sheets.
Staff were fine, did what we asked and were helpful enough (even though you have to ring them to get anyone to come and help you) but honestly, i would recommend this hotel to anyone who wants a place to lay their head in the liveliest part of NYC!

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with friends
2  Thank caitlinmac
Reviewed 10 March 2011

This place was quite a finding! After reading not-so-good reviews on Hostelbookers, we were a little worried, but it all went away as soon as we arrived!! For us it wasn't hard at all to find the place since we had the address. Note that it doesn't have any hostel sign out the door. It is run by a community who is trying to build a sinagogue, so no big fancy sign on the door.
You get keys to the front door so you can come and go as you like. There is no proper "front desk" like any normal hostel but you ring the bell and the staff is there in less than a minute and very willing to help you. And very nice people.
The rooms are very comfortable and clean!! Everything was new! And you have your own sink, fridge/freezer, microwave, dishware, locker, tv and computer with internet! And also shelves! Very comfortable bed and very clean linen also. The shared bathrooms were always clean (for a hostel) and always available.
There is no common room in which to meet people but that's not what we were looking for so it was ok. Anyway, the street is full of life at night so if you want to meet people just head to one of the bars nearby. There is a supermarket right accross the street so we had breakfast in the room everyday, although the room could do with a little table. Location is great, you have 4 subway lines in the corner to go either uptown or downtown and Brooklyn.

On the downsides, water temperature varies dramatically and shower pressure is not that great, but that's all.

Best choice in NYC!!! Very cheap and excellent value for money!!

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank NGlobalGirl
Reviewed 4 March 2011

If you're looking for cheap, clean and basic, this is your place. (If you need your own bathroom, room service or an elevator you should keep looking.) It's RIGHT in the mix of the East Village which is fantastic. Surrounded by great restaurants, walking distance to Broadway, Nolita, Washington Square and TONS more. But, it can be noisy if you're in a street-side room so bring earplugs.
Staff was friendly, but not always at their post-- not to worry they could always be reached by phone and would come quickly if you ever needed anything. Bathrooms were cleaned daily, although shared by about 5-6 rooms. At one point during my stay there were about 10 guys on my floor and lets just say they weren't the tidiest bathroom occupants. But there were two showers, and three toilets on the floor, so no lines or issues.
Room was smallish but clean and had shelves, closet, tiny desk and a small locker. It was all I needed.
For the price and location I give it fantastic marks. I would definitely stay there again.
My only tiny complaint is that the prices change on a daily basis, so book early and don't count on getting the same rate if you want to extend your booking.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
4  Thank Hml187
Reviewed 24 January 2011

The hostel has an excellent location, great price. Friendly and helpful staff!

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with friends