New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Elegant Tightwad

Elegant Tightwad
Ranked #232 of 574 Tours in New York City
More attraction details
Owner description: Dress like a diva, shop like a tightwad! Join NYC's original Garment Center Wholesale Shopping Tour. We've been taking shoppers behind the scenes in the NYC Garment District since 2002 where they buy current season designer duds at wholesale and below. Other tours include East Village Bargainista, Uptown Consignment Crawl, and Accessory Addict & Customized Private Tours for your group or organization of 1 – 100 people. We’ve been seen on CBS, CNN, & media outlets worldwide.
New York City, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2012

Was absolutely appalled by the rude and unprofessional way my scheduling was handled. The representative cancelled my appointment then refused to honor my LivingSocial deal on the only reschedule date that would have worked for me. Worse, her tone was hostile and accusatory, despite all my efforts to remain calm and polite -- beginning with 'Who asked you to wait a year before you used your coupon?' and ending with 'We're done here' and her HANGING UP on me before I could finish. Would not suggest to anyone!!

Thankfully, the staff at LivingSocial were extremely kind and helpful and not only refunded my purchase but also gave me a $10 credit. Thanks LivingSocial!

Visited January 2012
5 Thank bargainhunter777

schenectady
29 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Great Tour”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2011

My mom and I went on this tour and Lou took us all over the place! We had a fantastic time and there really is something for everyone. We had a group of 10 ladies and I think everyone found something. The group was great, the tour guide was wonderful, and all of the private showrooms that I never knew existed were fantastic. There were plenty of deals to be found. My mom got a really cute skirt for $ 10 and a vest for $30. I got a gorgeous alpaca wool coat for $300. Now I want to go on the accessory tour!

Visited November 2011
1 Thank kmk103
Columbus, Ohio
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“You will be in accessory heaven!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2011

I am a seasoned shopper and this has got to be the best shopping experience I have ever had. These showrooms are closed to the public so you get individual attention you may not receive at a public sample sale. We covered all categories of accessories: handbags, jewelry, hair accessories, belts, scarves and sunglasses. Take cash, that was the easiest way to handle the buying. Our tour guide Lou was incredible. She was on time, friendly, and helps with some shopping suggestions at each stop. This tour was so good, when I go back to NYC next year I am planning on taking both the Monday and Wednesday tour. You will not be sorry, if you love accessories this is the excursion you have been waiting for all your life. I liked a sample at one of the vendors but due to market week she couldn't sell it yet. She told me to email her and now she is going to ship me the bag. It wil be difficult to shop retail after being on this tour. I can't wait until next year!

Visited July 2011
1 Thank ShopQueen_11
Washington, DC
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Great Afternoon of Shopping”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2011

Lou my tour guide was excellent, very knowledgeable, helpful and just a nice person. We went to 6 shops and found a wide variety of items as well as prices. Really something for everyone, I walked away very happy at the end of the afternoon having made several great purchases. The showrooms were really cool, a great NYC adventure. Would recommend to anyone who likes to shop! No pressure to buy, which was very nice. Even had a question about an item that I had purchased and received a prompt, informative response from the owner. Well above my expectations!

Visited April 2011
1 Thank sberry20
Orange County, CA
159 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 163 helpful votes
“Great experience for shopping lovers”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2011

For my wife's first trip to NYC I surprised her with a couples' shopping tour. She loves to shop and loved every minute of our tour. Pam the owner really does a good job of assessing the shoppers and tailoring the tour for the right price range, designs, and sizes. Lou our tour guide was very informative and helpful, giving good feedback and coordinating multiple stops. We were able to buy some fantastic designer clothes at amazing prices. My wife says I have ruined her now that she knows how much the merchandise gets marked up in the store. Instead of shopping retail she just wants to go to NY for shopping tours. I highly recommend the experience.

Visited May 2011