“Overpriced for what we ate”

Tre Otto Restaurant
Ranked #4,492 of 15,763 Restaurants in New York City
Price range: USD 18 - USD 65
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: East Harlem
Cross street: Between 97th and 98th Streets
Transit: 6 train to 96th Street. Madison and Fifth avenue bus, 96th Street stop.
Description: The Cangiano's embrace family tradition in the food business that dates back to 1919, when grandma Cangiano opened her first Salumeria, stocked with the freshest Italian products. Tre Otto was opened in 2009 by Louis and Lauren Cangiano, the 4th generation of Cangiano's providing New York with authentic Italian food prepared from family recipes. The restaurant offers a casual inspired lunch menu as well as an elegant dinner menu that reflects the best traditions of Sicilian food. In the twenty plus years that Louis and Lauren have lived in the Carnegie Hill area, they have always searched for a neighborhood Italian restaurant that felt warm and welcoming - an extension of their own home - where the food was superb and where the atmosphere was magical. They believe that you will find this at Tre Otto.
Reviewed 9 November 2016 via mobile

After an appointment at the hospital we ate here for dinner and had a fantastic meal, rich flavours, delicious food and a welcoming staff.

We returned for lunch today and were severely disappointed.

The place was empty and we were both ravenous so expected the food to be timely and delicious. We ordered a breaded chicken panini and the cheeseburger and fries.

Now in retrospect maybe it wasn't the best idea to choose a burger in an Italian restaurant but that's what my wife wanted and we all know a happy wife equals a happy life!

Anyway on with the review.

When our food arrived the burger had one chunk of tomato circled in raw onion. My wife's request for some lettuce fell on deaf ears so I offered her some off my plate. Following further requests for ketchup and mustard we must've seen like fussy customers. The meat was ok but the bun wasn't toasted and the fries were undercooked, edible but still not what to expect when you pay 17$ for a burger. I could've got 5 huge bags of perfectly cooked fries in 5guys for that price!

Anyway we did our usual ritual swapping of plates so we could try each other's meals, this is usually done when I'm finished so it makes it look like my dear lady has cleared her plate. I had actually enjoyed the first half of my panini but my wife tossed the chicken out and ended up just eating the bread with some cold under cooked fries. (my palette isn't just as good as my wife's and I usually review places more in terms of their service etc not just the food as I'm easily pleased if I'm honest, hence the 5guys reference)

So we paid our check and weren't even given the chance to mention any of these things by the server. We walked out after a thoroughly disappointing experience.

Had the service been better we could've forgiven the food.

Had the food been good we could've forgiven the service.

If this is your fave restaurant and we've just made bad ordering choices then hit me up with a comment.

If you are planning on going here, avoid the burger and perhaps go for dinner instead of lunch.

Or if you're like me, toddle on down to 5 guys instead and spend 17 bucks on enough fries to fill a bath tub!

Reviewed 29 September 2016

I like the looks of the front of the restaurant better than the back of it. I experienced a night and day difference between the two appetizers that I had that made up my evening meal. The Fried Calamari with Marinara Sauce was excellent and is large enough for two to share. The Tre Otto Meatballs (four small ones) with Pomodoro Sauce were dry, hard and had little taste. Anyone who says that this restaurant is a blessing to the upper east side is mistaken, it is not a foodie's restaurant nor a gourmet's restaurant. Either of those two would not serve meatballs like that and then send them out with almost no warmth to them.

Reviewed 24 September 2016

Ate here as it was close to Mt. Sinai Hospital where my son works. Perhaps that is why it was crowded but food was only mediocre. Atmosphere and service was nice but we enjoy good food and can bear up with average service, not the other way around.

Reviewed 21 May 2016

I want so much to like this place as it is around the corner from our home. Certain dishes are pretty good. The oft-cited grilled octopus is worth of its reputation. The meat-stuffed rice ball is also very good. The wines are affordable but taste cheap. I would be compelled to dine more often if some sound abatement were installed (proper sound-proofing, a rug...?). Loud and dark but well-meaning.

Lauren C, Owner at Tre Otto Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 23 May 2016

Thank you for your honest review. Some of the issues with noise are due to the original tin ceiling and mosaic tile floors. We wanted to keep these original details in tact so we opted for curtains to muffle the sound. I am happy that you like the food. The ingrediants are purchased daily so thiey are fresh as can be. We do hope to see you back soon.

Reviewed 16 May 2016

I recently dined at Tre Otto three times in the space of week, each time prior to attending a show at El Teatro of El Museo del Barrio at Fifth Ave. and 104th St. Each time, the food was very, very good. I particularly enjoyed the grilled octopus appetizer and the fried calamari appetizer, as well as the pizza. Others enjoyed the pasta with pesto and the halibut and risotto special, and we all enjoyed the desserts, especially the stracciatella semifreddo. Our second visit, on a Friday night, was disastrous, however, in terms of service. We had a 6:00 p.m. reservation for an 8:00 P.M. curtain. We arrived on time and explained that we were going to a show. We ordered promptly and then, well, waited. The appetizers came at about 6:45--half an hour after we ordered. The main courses did not arrive until 7:45--an hour later. During that hour, we had a couple of visits from our waiter, who advised that "the kitchen is backed up" and that our dinners would arrive "in two minutes", but they didn't. We were about to walk out when the meal finally arrived. The dishes were first rate as noted above, but we had to wolf them down, paying the (full freight) bill as we did so, before dashing the six blocks to the theater. It was not a fun dining experience. In fact, it was so bad that I called the restaurant the next day to discuss it. A manager explained that Friday is their busiest night, and that they are not used to doing a pre-theater trade, so that the big influx of diners coming in early to see the show had totally overwhelmed the kitchen. Reassured that the problem would not recur, we went back that night, and the manager's prediction was fulfilled. There were half as many people in the restaurant as the night before. And we had a most enjoyable meal, served and enjoyed at a reasonable pace. Bottom line: this place is a great find. I'm glad we went back--and we'll go back again.

Lauren C, Owner at Tre Otto Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 18 May 2016

Thank you for you very honest and meaningful review. I appreciate that you were able to voice your disappointment yet compliment the things that you liked. It was quite a busy night as a result of the museum event and I offer you my sincere apologies for the service blunder. It is very important to us that one's entire experience is a good one. I am happy that you plan to return.