“A Night And Day Difference”

Tre Otto Restaurant
Ranked #4,510 of 15,866 Restaurants in New York City
Price range: USD 18 - USD 65
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: East Harlem
Cross street: Between 97th and 98th Streets
Transit: 6 train to 96th Street. Madison and Fifth avenue bus, 96th Street stop.
Description: The Cangiano's embrace family tradition in the food business that dates back to 1919, when grandma Cangiano opened her first Salumeria, stocked with the freshest Italian products. Tre Otto was opened in 2009 by Louis and Lauren Cangiano, the 4th generation of Cangiano's providing New York with authentic Italian food prepared from family recipes. The restaurant offers a casual inspired lunch menu as well as an elegant dinner menu that reflects the best traditions of Sicilian food. In the twenty plus years that Louis and Lauren have lived in the Carnegie Hill area, they have always searched for a neighborhood Italian restaurant that felt warm and welcoming - an extension of their own home - where the food was superb and where the atmosphere was magical. They believe that you will find this at Tre Otto.
Reviewed 29 September 2016

I like the looks of the front of the restaurant better than the back of it. I experienced a night and day difference between the two appetizers that I had that made up my evening meal. The Fried Calamari with Marinara Sauce was excellent and is large enough for two to share. The Tre Otto Meatballs (four small ones) with Pomodoro Sauce were dry, hard and had little taste. Anyone who says that this restaurant is a blessing to the upper east side is mistaken, it is not a foodie's restaurant nor a gourmet's restaurant. Either of those two would not serve meatballs like that and then send them out with almost no warmth to them.

Reviewed 24 September 2016

Ate here as it was close to Mt. Sinai Hospital where my son works. Perhaps that is why it was crowded but food was only mediocre. Atmosphere and service was nice but we enjoy good food and can bear up with average service, not the other way around.

Reviewed 21 May 2016

I want so much to like this place as it is around the corner from our home. Certain dishes are pretty good. The oft-cited grilled octopus is worth of its reputation. The meat-stuffed rice ball is also very good. The wines are affordable but taste cheap. I would be compelled to dine more often if some sound abatement were installed (proper sound-proofing, a rug...?). Loud and dark but well-meaning.

Lauren C, Owner at Tre Otto Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 23 May 2016

Thank you for your honest review. Some of the issues with noise are due to the original tin ceiling and mosaic tile floors. We wanted to keep these original details in tact so we opted for curtains to muffle the sound. I am happy that you like the food. The ingrediants are purchased daily so thiey are fresh as can be. We do hope to see you back soon.

Reviewed 16 May 2016

I recently dined at Tre Otto three times in the space of week, each time prior to attending a show at El Teatro of El Museo del Barrio at Fifth Ave. and 104th St. Each time, the food was very, very good. I particularly enjoyed the grilled octopus appetizer and the fried calamari appetizer, as well as the pizza. Others enjoyed the pasta with pesto and the halibut and risotto special, and we all enjoyed the desserts, especially the stracciatella semifreddo. Our second visit, on a Friday night, was disastrous, however, in terms of service. We had a 6:00 p.m. reservation for an 8:00 P.M. curtain. We arrived on time and explained that we were going to a show. We ordered promptly and then, well, waited. The appetizers came at about 6:45--half an hour after we ordered. The main courses did not arrive until 7:45--an hour later. During that hour, we had a couple of visits from our waiter, who advised that "the kitchen is backed up" and that our dinners would arrive "in two minutes", but they didn't. We were about to walk out when the meal finally arrived. The dishes were first rate as noted above, but we had to wolf them down, paying the (full freight) bill as we did so, before dashing the six blocks to the theater. It was not a fun dining experience. In fact, it was so bad that I called the restaurant the next day to discuss it. A manager explained that Friday is their busiest night, and that they are not used to doing a pre-theater trade, so that the big influx of diners coming in early to see the show had totally overwhelmed the kitchen. Reassured that the problem would not recur, we went back that night, and the manager's prediction was fulfilled. There were half as many people in the restaurant as the night before. And we had a most enjoyable meal, served and enjoyed at a reasonable pace. Bottom line: this place is a great find. I'm glad we went back--and we'll go back again.

Lauren C, Owner at Tre Otto Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 18 May 2016

Thank you for you very honest and meaningful review. I appreciate that you were able to voice your disappointment yet compliment the things that you liked. It was quite a busy night as a result of the museum event and I offer you my sincere apologies for the service blunder. It is very important to us that one's entire experience is a good one. I am happy that you plan to return.

Reviewed 21 April 2016

We were seated immediately, our waitress was sparkly and attentive, yet she didn't rush us. We had an elder with us and there was only one short step up to get into the restaurant, then everything, including bathrooms were on one floor. The food was DELICIOUS!!! The prices were reasonable. Tre Otto stands out as a lovely, congenial restaurant with great cuisine!!! We will go back!

Lauren C, Owner at Tre Otto Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 22 April 2016

Thank you for that awesome review! I can't tell you how happy it make me that you had a great experience. Please come back soon!

Lauren