“Good, but not Great”

Ranked #114 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Poughkeepsie, NY
“Good, but not Great”
Reviewed 9 April 2012

I just finished a two night stay at the Cassa hotel, and, as my review title states, I had a good but not great experience.

The hotel is located just off 6th Ave on 45 which puts it in a spectacular area for visitors and access to transportation. The building is new and modern in style and as its name suggests, contains both a hotel and condominium.

The small, modern lobby sets the tone for the hotel in style and setup. The fixtures are modern, but things are snug. With luggage trolleys and a few guests, it could get crowded quickly. The staff I dealt with all seemed friendly, but the fact they are doing double-duty for the building residents means they have a slightly different vibe than a traditional, dedicated hotel staff. I didn't need much assistance, and my interactions were all good.

Up in the rooms, in my case 1403, it was the same situation: modern, snug and just missing a little something I can't put my finger on. The rooms are small. Pretty well-designed in the sleeping area, but the lack of storage is glaring. I had one small overnight bag and I still had some difficulties. I can't imagine what the guests I saw with gigantic rolling suitcases did with them and their contents. The bed was a full-size bed, which was ok for me, but a couple might feel cramped. Bedding was good. The maid does like to come early, so put out the Do Not Disturb sign if you are not an early bird!

The bathroom was sleek and clean. It too did not have much in the way of storage. Solo travelers would be fine (unless you were a woman with a lot of makeup you wanted to set out), but again, couples would find it challenging. I liked the spacious glass rainforest shower and modern sink. It was kept immaculately.

So, all in all, everything here was good, clean and completely adequate. As long as you are comfortable with the scaled-down design, you will like the room. Staff were also pleasant. But for me, there was something slightly off about the property. I would certainly stay there again, but otherwise didn't have any particularly warm final impressions of the property.

Room Tip: Based on fire escape floor plan, all the rooms on my floor (14) were small. As with any city hotel...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Dean R

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (268)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
krtrumpet
Reviewed 9 April 2012

This is absolutely my new favorite hotel in NYC. The location is phenomenal--a block from Times Square, 2 blocks from Rockefeller Plaza, a block from 5th Avenue. There are delicious restaurants on every surrounding street. Every hotel staff member was friendly, helpful, and pleasant. The rooms are wonderful--extremely comfortable bedding, and a shower that can only be described as luxurious. I would stay here again in a heartbeat!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
Cerritos, California
Reviewed 7 April 2012

Spent 4 nights during Spring Break. Just off Time Square -- great location -- and a decent price. The king sized bed still allowed for plenty of room to walk around and was very comfortable. The front-desk staff was very friendly and knowledgable about the area. The housekeeping was a bit unorganized -- but responsive to our concerns (ie: don't come at 9:30am -- so we learned to put out our "do not disturb" sign when we went to bed.) Overall good place! All reasonably priced hotels in Time Square are small -- but this was workable. Would definitely return here and recommend it to others.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
Tacoma, Washington
Reviewed 6 April 2012

My husband and I spent two nights at the Cassa Hotel. With taxes, we paid $425 per night. Unfortunately, the hotel was not worth even half that. This is the first negative review we have ever written about any hotel.

We woke up each morning to vibration and whistling from the plumbing. It was so loud that it woke my husband up while wearing earplugs. He talked to the front desk staff four times. We were told twice that the problem was fixed and twice that we would be moved to another room. Unfortunately, neither one happened.

The staff was very friendly, but they don't provide good customer service. If there are no problems, it's a nice place to stay. If there are problems, however, you will leave frustrated and angry like we did that we paid a lot more than the hotel was worth.

One other thing to note: there was no dresser in our room. With two adults and an infant, that was a challenge. So if you need a dresser, you better go somewhere else.

We will never stay at the Cassa Hotel again.

Room Tip: Avoid room 2506 and any other rooms near it.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
5 Thank Gleasie
SmithKH, General Manager at Cassa Hotel 45th Street New York, responded to this review, 10 April 2012
Dear Gleasie - Thank you for your review, as difficult as it was to read. As I had written to you based on your response to our Unifocus survey, we did indeed have a breakdown in communication between shifts and departments, and we have instituted a change in our procedures to prevent that from reoccuring. I am also glad to note that we did finally identify two valves, rather difficult to get to in a hallway plumbing closet, which had partially failed and were intermittently causing the noise which you heard. When the noise temporarily abated, the engineer on site thought he had solved the problem; however, now we have replaced those two valves and we have not had that issue to deal with since. If you can find it in your heart to return, we would certainly be grateful for the opportunity to provide you with the levels of hospitality that you would expect and deserve. Best wishes - Kevin Smith
são paulo
Reviewed 3 April 2012

As most of the people, I also booked through hotwire. Big mistake.
The hotel is in a great location, but I think there are better places.
There´s no room to hang anything. My feet were hanging out of the bed.
There was no complimentary water, or cofee machine in the room. (which in all the hotels I´ve stayed in the past few years offered that). That´s something you expect in a four star hotel.
Also, there were weird noises. Driiling noise from who knows where early in the morning. Baby crying at 6 am.
The 10th floor which they say it´s the breaksfast room, is very small and it looks out of place.
The restaurant in still going through renovation.
Good things:
The staff were great. Very friendly and helpfull.
And the bathroom is big.
The room was very clean. and all the linens seemed new.
The location is perfect. You´re in the middle of everything.
I just think they should change the beds of the stardard room, or make it a single room.
they shouldn´t sell that for a couple.

Room Tip: The standard room has a very tiny bed.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank isatb
SmithKH, General Manager at Cassa Hotel 45th Street New York, responded to this review, 6 April 2012
Dear Isatb - Thank you for staying with the Cassa, and for your review, (which is one of those that helps us perfect our skills!). We are getting the restaurant closer to its opening, so there has indeed been some drilling after 9:00am on a few days - but that is just about over. And I'm afraid babies will cry at inconvenient times now and then; however, yours is the first one of these complaints we've received, so I think we can keep that to a minimum. More importantly, if you need a larger bed than the one you booked, please check with the Front Desk - if we have availability we will always be glad to arrange for a larger one. Finally, I do deeply appreciate your positive comments, especially about our fantastic and personable staff. We do hope to see you again - especially with our new restaurant! Best wishes - Kevin Smith