New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Andaz 5th Avenue

Andaz 5th Avenue
Ranked #52 of 477 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
“I am picky and I like this place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2012

Exceptionally well manned staff - a refreshing experience in NYC.

• Stayed February 2012
1 Thank Kingsw1

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (480)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2012

Stayed here for two nights during the week for theater/shopping. Overall impression..... Wow! I had an amazing view of the NY public library & 5th ave (andaz king XL view). The room was enormous; I can't describe how the 12" ceilings open everything up. Very cool lighting/systems integration; everything at the touch of several buttons. The bathroom was beautiful and modern. There wasn't a tub, but with this kind of lay out..... Who cares? The shower is probably the best/most open of any hotel I've stayed in in NYC.
Good room service menu available at all hours, and although I only briefly used the gym, it had high end life fitness cross trainers and treadmills plus some weights. Overall, impressive fitness equipment for a boutique hotel. The bar downstairs was excellent with an interesting tapas menu and was surprisingly "happening.".....a good variety of people. Did I mention free wifi and free wine 6-9 in the lobby? I would recommend this hotel for business travelers, anyone looking for a higher end boutique hotel with amazing space and location, and for those looking for a comfortable yet hip atmosphere. XL king view is by far the best room in my opinion.

• Stayed February 2012
1 Thank Versed5
Andaz5thAveMgr, Manager at Andaz 5th Avenue, responded to this review, 28 February 2012
Dear Versed5,

Great pictures from your room! Thank you for sharing your photos with everyone, and for staying with us while you were in New York. Glad you enjoyed the room, lighting, and bath!

Warm regards,

Connie
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2012

First of all, the location of the hotel is just in front of public library (5th Avenue and W41 Street). As we entered the property, there are several host (Front Desk's concept) who will lead us to the Lounge Area. The host offered us a drink which is a nice touch and prepare all the documentation needed for the Check-in.

I stayed at Splash Suite in this trip because of our anniversary. The decoration of the room is very modern and hip. Not only that, the room is spacious in comparison with New York downtown's standard. It is the best suite ever I had every stay, nice Hyatt Grand bed, unbeatable view to New York's Public Library, nice living room, big bathroom with huge huge bathtub, nice bath's amenities and more importantly and again, elegant decoration!

Moreover, breakfast at "The Shop" is a must. The food such as French Toast, Lemon's pancake and Bacon is really good. Now, this is just the negative part of our stay: I waited for my breakfast for 45 minutes to come.This is inappropriate, i.e. why I am suggesting other travelers to have breakfast in the room if you can. Not saying, it is fast, but it is definitely better.

Room Tip: If you can afford it, Suite at this property is a must.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Washington, DC
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2012

We stayed here because we had several free nights at Hyatt and I was told this was the place to book (from the Hyatts in NYC). We enjoyed the free glass of wine upon check-in. The decor is super chic and fun. We really enjoyed the room and bathroom/shower. But overall I didn't love the location. There was nothing open late night in the area (around 11pm-12am), including the hotel bar. Room service options and quality were disappointing. Getting cabs was difficult. Overall it's cool in concept, but I just don't see a reason to return.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Sleep Quality
5 Thank schk
Dear schk,

Thank you very much for giving us a try! I'm sorry our location does not work for your needs. With the number of other Hyatts in NYC, I hope that another will work better for your next visit!

Warm regards,

Connie
Chevy Chase, MD
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2012

Let me say at the outset that this is a fine hotel. The location is fantastic, the rooms are large by Manhattan standards, it's clean and modern, and it seems to be a relatively good value at the higher end of the hotel range. The staff was pleasant and accommodating (although the hotel did seem a little understaffed over the weekend we stayed there).

While this is a nice hotel, it's trying too hard to be hip. One gets the sense that the executives at Hyatt commissioned some urban hipsters to design a hotel that would appeal to a certain demographic. The results sometime come across as a little forced. Take the hotel entrance. To begin with, it's not clear from the street where the entrance is -- the doors that turn out to be the main entrance look like they might be service doors. This makes it tricky to arrive in your own car, since it's not clear where to expect the valet. (Perhaps they figure that people who stay at this sort of hotel don't own cars.) Once you figure out how to get into the hotel, it's clear that they tried to design a lobby that looks like an Apple store. I like the designs of Apple stores as much as the next person, but it does make for some awkward moments when translated into the design of a hotel lobby. (Where, exactly, do I check in? What are those iPads for? Is there any place to actually sit while I'm enjoying my complimentary wine?)

We were staying with our two tween/teen children, so we booked a suite with a pull-out bed. The design of the room was clean and modern, but it took the minimalist design concept to some absurd lengths. The lighting controls were a case in point. The rooms have "touch" lighting controls that indicate their function ("Bath", "Entry", etc.). They look cool, but they're completely impractical and positioned in counterintuitive places. Not a single light in the room was capable of being dimmed, so all the options were binary (even the bedside reading lights). Honestly, in this day and age, why don't more hotels understand that we want to be able to control the mood of the room, and don't want to have to light up the entire room to find the toilet in the middle of the night? Wouldn't dimmable controls have been more iPad-like? Then there was the bathroom. Again, nice design, enormous shower, but why didn't the bathroom have doors that actually latch shut? Even hipsters want some privacy when doing the necessary. And the shower controls were completely inscrutable -- is it considered un-hip to indicate the essential feature of a handle, like which direction is hot and which direction is cold?

I guess I'm just annoyed by design that is minimalist to the point of impracticality. While I think Hyatt was trying to achieve a Jony Ive moment, I don't think Sir Jony would actually approve of this place -- it has a lot of little details that need to be rethought from the standpoint of functionality. The overall effect is forced and somewhat pretentious.

I'll close on some more positive notes. The Nespresso machine in the room was fabulous -- this should become an essential feature of any good hotel. The second floor event area is beautiful. (So beautiful that a photo shoot was taking place there when we arrived. My daughter was amused to see a naked female model changing her outfit out in the open.) The ground-floor restaurant was surprisingly good (although the service was a little slow on a Sunday morning), and the options for room service were better than usual.

Stayed February 2012, travelled with family