“Not bad, but I wouldn't go back”
Review of Andaz 5th Avenue

Andaz 5th Avenue
Ranked #81 of 469 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 22 February 2012

We stayed here because we had several free nights at Hyatt and I was told this was the place to book (from the Hyatts in NYC). We enjoyed the free glass of wine upon check-in. The decor is super chic and fun. We really enjoyed the room and bathroom/shower. But overall I didn't love the location. There was nothing open late night in the area (around 11pm-12am), including the hotel bar. Room service options and quality were disappointing. Getting cabs was difficult. Overall it's cool in concept, but I just don't see a reason to return.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank schk
Andaz5thAveMgr, Manager at Andaz 5th Avenue, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2012

Dear schk,

Thank you very much for giving us a try! I'm sorry our location does not work for your needs. With the number of other Hyatts in NYC, I hope that another will work better for your next visit!

Reviewed 22 February 2012

Let me say at the outset that this is a fine hotel. The location is fantastic, the rooms are large by Manhattan standards, it's clean and modern, and it seems to be a relatively good value at the higher end of the hotel range. The staff was pleasant and accommodating (although the hotel did seem a little understaffed over the weekend we stayed there).

While this is a nice hotel, it's trying too hard to be hip. One gets the sense that the executives at Hyatt commissioned some urban hipsters to design a hotel that would appeal to a certain demographic. The results sometime come across as a little forced. Take the hotel entrance. To begin with, it's not clear from the street where the entrance is -- the doors that turn out to be the main entrance look like they might be service doors. This makes it tricky to arrive in your own car, since it's not clear where to expect the valet. (Perhaps they figure that people who stay at this sort of hotel don't own cars.) Once you figure out how to get into the hotel, it's clear that they tried to design a lobby that looks like an Apple store. I like the designs of Apple stores as much as the next person, but it does make for some awkward moments when translated into the design of a hotel lobby. (Where, exactly, do I check in? What are those iPads for? Is there any place to actually sit while I'm enjoying my complimentary wine?)

We were staying with our two tween/teen children, so we booked a suite with a pull-out bed. The design of the room was clean and modern, but it took the minimalist design concept to some absurd lengths. The lighting controls were a case in point. The rooms have "touch" lighting controls that indicate their function ("Bath", "Entry", etc.). They look cool, but they're completely impractical and positioned in counterintuitive places. Not a single light in the room was capable of being dimmed, so all the options were binary (even the bedside reading lights). Honestly, in this day and age, why don't more hotels understand that we want to be able to control the mood of the room, and don't want to have to light up the entire room to find the toilet in the middle of the night? Wouldn't dimmable controls have been more iPad-like? Then there was the bathroom. Again, nice design, enormous shower, but why didn't the bathroom have doors that actually latch shut? Even hipsters want some privacy when doing the necessary. And the shower controls were completely inscrutable -- is it considered un-hip to indicate the essential feature of a handle, like which direction is hot and which direction is cold?

I guess I'm just annoyed by design that is minimalist to the point of impracticality. While I think Hyatt was trying to achieve a Jony Ive moment, I don't think Sir Jony would actually approve of this place -- it has a lot of little details that need to be rethought from the standpoint of functionality. The overall effect is forced and somewhat pretentious.

I'll close on some more positive notes. The Nespresso machine in the room was fabulous -- this should become an essential feature of any good hotel. The second floor event area is beautiful. (So beautiful that a photo shoot was taking place there when we arrived. My daughter was amused to see a naked female model changing her outfit out in the open.) The ground-floor restaurant was surprisingly good (although the service was a little slow on a Sunday morning), and the options for room service were better than usual.

Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank DadCCMD
Reviewed 21 February 2012

This was our first stay at Andaz hotel (New York City.) We were so impressed, we already booked a return trip for my wife's birthday (in June.) Upon arriving in front, we were promptly greeted. Our bags and vehicle were quickly handled. Every member of the staff that we encountered was friendly, helpful and enthusiastic. Everyone was amazing, but, there was one stand-out who had gone above and beyond. I was stunned to learn that Dana Steer was a concierge and not a manager. Dana is an excellent reflection on the Andaz. He took such care of everything, and had shown such pride in his work. He seemed to really enjoy what he was doing. Dana is the main reason we booked our next trip, while still enjoying this one. Yes, it is true the hotel was beautiful, clean, comfortable, and spacious. The Andaz is also very generous, with the complementary amenities and mini-bar (with the exception of the alcohol....but, we do not drink, anyway.) I hope the powers that be at the Andaz hotel recognize what an asset Dana Steer is to their establishment.

Room Tip: Any room is a good choice.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Andaz5thAveMgr, Manager at Andaz 5th Avenue, responded to this reviewResponded 22 February 2012

Dear elliotnjulie,

Thank you for your review! I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the personal and friendly service you received, and in particular, that Dana was able to assist you so well. As you so eloquently wrote, he is truly an asset to our team.

We look forward to helping you celebrate your wife's birthday in June!

Reviewed 20 February 2012

NY hotels... either they have tiny rooms, or they have the stuffy 5* atmosphere. Not Andaz 5th Avenue! Great midtown location, and a cool, sophisticated style with large stylish rooms, friendly hosts (there's no reception), you get a glass of wine whenever you sit down in the lobby and the restaurant serves great breakfast (didn't try anything else there). Basically this is the perfect hotel in NY - if you want to be midtown.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the Library
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 February 2012

I booked this for my husbands 30th birthday and this is the best hotel I have ever stayed in. From the moment we pulled up outside the hotel the concierge could not do enough for us. We were checked in by Anthony who escorted us to our room and the hotel gave us a free upgrade from a king room to a superior king room which had amazing views and showed us how all the gadgets worked.

The rooms were amazing it had the most amazing rainfall shower that had a foot bath with it perfect for resting our tired feet the bed was huge, complimenty minibar apart from the alcohol and the views were stunning right opposite the Public Library and you can see times square. The location is perfect 10 mins from times square and right on 5th avenue. I was 5 months pregnant at the time and they provided me with extra pillows and always asked how me and the bump was doing. The tea and coffee from the restruant was complimenty and perfect to warm us up.

Anthony looked after us the whole trip and booked us passes to the 9/11 memorial which was kind and always asked how our day had been and what we had been doing we could spend ours talking to him such a nice guy. All the staff were friendly and helpful aswell and would ask you how you were.

I cannot rate this hotel enough and would recommend anyone to stay there if we ever return to New York we would not stay annywhere else but here.

A big thank you to all the staff and keep up the fabulous work.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear Mr-MrsFitt,

We are so glad to hear you had a great celebration for your husband's birthday, and that we could be part of making your trip special! Thank you for recognizing Anthony's efforts to make your visit memorable.