“I would recommend this hotel”
Review of Flatiron Hotel

Ranked #355 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 20 February 2012

I stayed at the hotel from 2/15/12 through 2/19/12 with my husband. we stayed in a king size room. The previous comments made me nervous, so we requested a room on the upper floor, which they accommodated (7th floor). yes, you can hear the vibrations of the train below, but you couldn't hear street noise. and the train vibration wasn't a big deal. Very light sleepers probably have a problem with everything in NYC.
Pros: for NYC the room is good sized. people not familiar with NYC might be shocked by room sizes here, but it is new york. I saw the queen size rooms, and they are much smaller than the king. The bed was comfy, room was clean (we were nervous about bed bugs - no issue at all), the tech features were cool. Ipod radio was nice, the black out shades worked really well. bathroom was large/clean. i wish our room had the cool showers i saw in the queen room (I peeked into a few other rooms during the mid day while housekeeping was cleaning). but the bathroom with the tub was much bigger. The hairdryer was a real hairdryer, not the typical hotel crappy thing (wish i knew ahead of time, i could have packed less). the tv in the bathroom mirror was a novelty, but not really my thing. the location is AMAZING!! this is exactly where i want to be in NYC. The cost was great, but i assume it will go up in price as it gets more well known. we met the owner one night - he's really energetic and seems to care a lot about this project. It's not like a big corporation is running this show - it's small and getting attention from the owner. Thats nice to see. Room safe is so well hidden, we had to call the front desk to find out where it was... but it's there.
Meh?: the lobby is interesting.... clean but a bit over the top for me. Is this a con? probably not, but not anything special for me. The decor overall is not exactly my taste, but at least more playful than most hotels. there weren't any places to really hang out in the lobby other than just some couches. it wasn't the type of place i would like to just hang out. Not bad for sitting and waiting for someone, but not a "place" yet. Other hotels do this much better.
Cons: wish there was a mini fridge in the room. it has cooler selling water/soda, but no space for our food. The bar just opened while we were there. The liquor selection is not great. the bar tender gets an A for effort, but not execution. I'm going to assume they just need some more time and experience. and some nibbles. Another Con - the hotel doesn't yet have any thing other than just rooms. No cafe, no food, etc. However, starbucks is right next door and the neighborhood has so much. All in all, for the cost savings, i would prefer to spend the extra money on doing something outside of my hotel than just paying for hotel accoutrements.
overall, i highly recommend this hotel. we were very happy with it. our "cons" are minor, while the pros were great.

Room Tip: king room is well sized for two.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Flatiron Hotel

Reviewed 20 February 2012

Booked this hotel through "Hotwire." Terrific price and fantastic room (great location, too)... Book it! Staff wass terrific!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 February 2012

My friend and I ended up staying at the Flatiron Hotel in NYC for 3 nights. We booked it through Hotwire and got a pretty amazing deal on the room! The hotel lobby is very chic and trendy, very hip and modern. The front desk staff were all welcoming and pretty cool. The cylindrical aquariam is really something to see!

The rooms were quite nice, size was typical of other NYC hotels. Great things about the room were the electronic curtain/window shades, the TV in the bathroom mirror, the shower stall with all the spa jets was really nice after a long day in the city. Probably the most amazing thing about the room were the comfort of the beds!! I have never slept on anything like that before and it was truly an amazing experience.

Somethings that could have been worked on...the heater is pretty loud and blasts hot air into the room. It was hard to get a stable temperature in the room. Also, the tile floor in the bathroom was freezing cold on barefeet. It would have been nice to have heated tile floors or even provide guests with complimentary slippers. Also, there were no towel racks at all in the bathroom! After showering we would just throw the towels on the floor or leave them on the counter. Sometimes I would hang them on top of the door. i think this is something they perhaps missed??? It also would have been nice to have real glasses to use in the hotel room, rather than the flimsy plastic cups sealed in celophane that they give you. That just makes the room look cheap. They also need to upgrade the quality of coffee in the room. While it was nice to have the coffeemaker and complimentary coffee, the quality was very poor. We walked to Starbucks in the morning to get real coffee.

I think that fixing up these little snags will make this an even better hotel than it already is. I would definitely choose to stay here again!

Room Tip: Subway stop is 2 blocks from the hotel Ask for a room on one of the upper floors to avoid the noise...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank FRQTFLYR
George S, General Manager at Flatiron Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 February 2012

Dear frqtflyr,

Thank you so much for your review. We are thrilled to hear that you had a great stay with us. As a hotel in its soft opening stages, we are always looking for guest feed back not only about the good, but also about how we can improve. Some of the items in the rooms are placed for your convenience, and we are still improving. Did you notice the coffee tumblers next to the coffee machine that were placed as drinking cups? The stainless steel design for hotel or cold beverages on the go. Also, when you return, we do have complimentary slippers at the front desk which can be requested any time. I am personally working on an aesthetically pleasing towel rack to place in every room as the hooks that we have clearly are not enough for guest use. While improving on our green initiatives, we are constantly finding new means to better the guest experience. I do apologize that the branded Wolfgang Puck coffee was not to your liking. Now that we have the Lobby bar open, we will be starting an espresso service in the mornings as well.

We look forward to seeing you again on your next trip and hope you have a moment to see our new additions at the hotel.

Best,

W. (212) 839-8000

Reviewed 17 February 2012

Got a nice rate at BookIt.com to stay here during Toy Fair. I like trying out new hotels and Flatiron is still in a "soft opening" right now.

The Good:
Check in was great. Front desk staff was very helpful, and even gave me a card of their business manager to contact about show rates going forward. The room was nice. Had a Madison Park Double (#804) and room size is nice with the two beds. Turn down service (they close the electronic curtains) is given as well. It's 2 blocks from Eataly, which is great for food and close enough to Javits. Cabs were pretty easy to catch on 26th, too. Platform beds were super comfy. Lobby is gorgeous with that fish tank.

The Bad:
Housekeeping. Upon arrival we noticed a LOT of dust hanging from the bathroom vent. There was a housekeeper in the room next door, so we asked her to swiffer it as there was a damp/moldy odor. She refused. Told us to call the front desk. We did, they sent someone up to clean it. The TV only had standard channels and cable, the "on demand" button did nothing. It's possible they didn't hook it up yet and I wasn't at a loss watching TV and HBO anyway. But there was no TV check out, that I normally do. Two days before I left the housekeeper "cleaned"... took all the soap, shampoo, etc that was only half used, and didn't replace any. So I had no bar to even wash my hands with. But she forgot to dump the trash bins in the room as well. Not professional. Told the front desk staff, and they said they'd send stuff up while we were out to dinner (Valentine's Day). When we got back, shampoo/conditioner/lotion was there... but still no hand soap. Asked at front desk again. They said they'd send it... but none ever came. Checked out the next day.

I'm not sure I'd stay again and it was a nice hotel. I know they're new, but asking for something as simple as SOAP shouldn't take 3 tries or more.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank gaerielsky

Dear Gaerielsky,

Firstly, I would like to thank you for staying with us at the Flatiron Hotel. I would like to take all of the necessary measure to ensure the highest quality of service from our staff at all times. Thank you for taking the time to let us know where the staff has been falling behind. I can assure you that it is not hotel policy for a staff member to refuse a request. We have followed through with the necessary actions to ensure these mishaps do not happen again and know that the little things are what make all of the deference when staying at a hotel or being away from home. I hope that you can stay with us again, I would love to have you experience the Flatiron Hotel the way it was meant to be experienced.

If you have any other questions or concerns, feel free to contact me personally any time. I hope to see you again soon. I would love to speak with you in person so that we can go over your experiences.

(212) 839-8000

Reviewed 16 February 2012

I found a great deal through Bookit.com, and it ended up being a good decision. Its in a great location. We were only a couple of blocks from our bus stops. It's a bit of a walk to Times Square, but it's not that bad. The lobby was small, but inviting. Check-in was a breeze. The guy (I wish I remembered his name!) at the front desk gave us great advice for navigating around NYC and great recommendations for late night food.

The room was awesome. It was small, which is normal for the city. The bed was comfortable. I loved the shower, the lights that dim above the bed, the keyless entry, and the button for "Housekeeping" and "Do Not Disturb," instead of the typical doorhanger. And the BF loved the tv in the mirror.

Koreatown is a couple of blocks over, with tons of places to eat. It's a great place to stay if you plan on checking out other stuff besides Times Square. The iconic Flatiron Building can be seen from the end of the street, and there's a great park nearby to have a picnic or to rest up.

Dillon was so nice during checkout. We left our bags at the hotel since we had a late bus. When coming back for our bags, Dillon saw that we had some food and offered us the lounge area to eat and rest before traveling, which we took up on.

I loved the fact that this was a boutique hotel and not a chain. It was cozy, the staff was friendly, and it was quiet. I've already recommended this hotel to someone that's visiting NYC in the spring. I would definately stay here again!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear HKH12,

Thank you for choosing the Flatiron Hotel as your destination in New York City. I am very please to hear about your experience with us. We hope that we can only improve upon your next trip to the City. When looking to book with us again, please look on our website as we often have great deals and promotional packages for every occasion.

If you have any feedback, feel free to contact me personally as I would love to hear more about your stay.

W. (212) 839-8000