“I Wish I Won the Lottery So That I Could Live There”

Trump SoHo New York
Ranked #134 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Brooklyn, New York
“I Wish I Won the Lottery So That I Could Live There”
Reviewed 2 April 2012

Our stay was just a short 3 nights this past weekend, but what a wonderful three nights. We checked in on Thursday night, but before we arrived, we were contacted by the hotel and asked if there was a special occasion or reason for our stay. We let them know that we were getting married on the 30th and this stay was a mini-honeymoon for us. All we really wanted was peace, quiet, privacy, and the opportunity to take in the awesome views. My husband is from NYC and I've lived here for years, but our love for the skyline never fades. Thus, although we live in NYC, we wanted a taste of what REALLY living it up in NYC would be like for our special weekend.

When our taxi pulled up to the front, Angel the doorman opened my door with a huge smile and warm welcome. He helped me out of the cab (which I needed since I'm 5 months pregnant) and assisted us with out bags. The woman at the front desk also greeted us with a smile and had us checked in within minutes. They offered us warm towellettes to refresh our hands--we declined, but I thought it was a nice way to start the stay.

Our room was located on the 37th floor on the south-east corner of the building. It was exactly what I wanted. There was a clear view toward the WTC/Freedom Towers site, the Brooklyn and Manhattan Bridges, and the Hudson River as well. From our bathroom, I could see Uptown to the Chrysler and Empire State Buildings. At night, the city sparkled. I loved it.
I actually enjoyed the curtain and lighting set ups. I didn't find it complicated at all, and I thought it was nice to have the option to open/close/light the room by using the controls located around the room (a master panel upon entry next to the door, controls on the tv remote, and controls also next to the bed).

I had read in some reviews that some rooms had bathrooms where there was no door for privacy--we had a door, so thankfully there were no awkward moments. I had also read reviews that people had issues hearing other guests' conversations through the walls. We had no problem with this either. Our floor was pretty quiet, although we could hear the occasional door close (which is to be expected). Because of our corner location, foot traffic noise was also at a minimum. Although, I was so worried that we were loud and others could hear us that I kept shushing my husband (luckily he found this amusing and not annoying).

The bed and pillows were like clouds that you could sink into. Not gonna lie, I totally devoured the little chocolates and truffles they placed in the room (I swear, it's the baby). The bathrobes were so soft, I fell asleep in mine a couple of times. I enjoyed the rain shower and bath products they provided. Our bathtub appeared thoroughly cleaned and without any weird grime, so I took a bath and stared out the window on our last night. It was fantastic. We may have gotten lucky with the elevators because we never ended up waiting too long. Any time the staff entered the elevators they were quick with a greeting and wished us a good day or evening.

Since we are more familiar with the city, we didn't have a problem finding good restaurants or shops nearby. If you walk down Spring St, you're going to run into more than enough options. West Broadway and Thompson will also lead you to many things. The concierge was of great assistance to us in other matters, but I'm guessing if I had asked him or her about the area, I would have gotten great recommendations.

I basically got everything I was looking for in my stay--breathtaking views, wonderful service, and a memorable wedding weekend. It wasn't just couples staying here either, I saw a lot of families, businessmen, and other groups seeming to enjoy the hotel as well. I would come back again in a heartbeat!

Room Tip: Higher and on a corner = better. And don't be afraid to ask the front desk for tips about the c...
1 Thank theexpert204
TrumpNYCSoHo, General Manager at Trump SoHo New York, responded to this review, 5 April 2012
Dear theexpert204,

Thank you for sharing detailed feedback about your stay. I am pleased that you enjoyed Trump SoHo and took advantage of the in-room amenities. I hope to see you again in the future.

Andreas Oberoi

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (830)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Mountain View, CA
Reviewed 2 April 2012

Overall, a solid five star property. Location is good, but its several blocks west of what most think of as SoHo. That said, there are some nice renovations being done in that area and I expect it will continue to improve. Note that many floors in the building are owner occupied.

Rooms are quite comfortable, with fantastic views in almost every direction. My only beef with the rooms was the lighting. The bathroom was a particular annoyance – mirror light only on one side. Made shaving my right side a bit of a chore (right cheek toward mirror, eyes staring into light, unable to actually see my right cheek!). Drinks at both the restaurant and their lounge were quite well done and the wine list is small but interesting. We did not eat on the property. What was beyond 5 stars was the service. Check in, concierge, housekeeping, everyone, was exceptional

Room Tip: The views from the west side are spectacular
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 1 April 2012

We stayed unfortunately only 2 nights in Trump Soho. Because of sad family circumstances we had to leave earlier than planned. But the 2 nights we enjoyed it. At our arrival we find fresh delicious strawberries with chocolate ! We cannot imagine a better welcome. Our room at the 40th floor had a marvelous view, a fantastic comfortable bed, it was clean and the service of Nespresso, every day new cups, was a welcome wake up call. The airconditioning was a little bit noisy, but we used it before go sleeping, so it could switch off during the night. The location of the hotel is very good. Soho, a nice cosy area, with great shops and serverall good restaurants, ex. Balthazar, Springstreet. Take a taxi to discover other districts. The bell boys will care for it. We will come back to NY and also to The TrumpHotel. !!

Room Tip: A room at higher floor will give you a great view.
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Dear buitenleveen,

Thank you for sharing your feedback. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay, and hope you will return in the future.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 March 2012

Stayed from 22nd until 27th March in a Delux King on 30th floor.
Hotel is modern and has a contempory interior, we booked on the basis of the good reviews but am slightly disapointed as they are not that acurate as set out below.
Location- at least 4 blocks from anything resembling a restaurant and main shoping areas start about 6 blocks away so not exactly in the heart of things but not bad (small diner for next door and starbucks across road for breakfast)
Room- Quite small (but this is NY afterall) well presented, fantastic comfortable bed, but overcomplicated controls (lights and blinds) very noisy air conditioning (kept us awake and too hot to leave off could not open windows), not the best designed room with silly TV in bathroom which could only be viewed from the sink and seemed pointless and no soft closure on WC door which banged. Our bath (although not used by ourselves) was dirty (lovely tide mark 3/4 of way up) and was never cleaned on our stay,the coffee and coduments were not topped up every day, the complementary sowing kit had been opened and needles were missing, and on windy days/ nights the bedroom windows rattled and in the corridoors you can hear wind noise. Also the sound deadeneing leaves much to be desired and we could hear clearly other guests throughout the night.
Other points to note - The footprint of the hotel is small compared to most of the other similar hotels so the rooms are spread out over many floors and as only 4 lifts we always had to wait for the lifts (upto 10 minutes at busy times). Also the lobby would get crowded quite easily due to its small size and layout, and although very attentative the bell boys were generally busy with other guests so were unable to open the huge and extremly heavy front doors which my wife could not move.
Overall not a bad hotel, but for the price and the reviews we had read its a bit of a disapointment, think it will have to be the Gansevoort next time.

3 Thank jon w
Dear jon w,

Thank you for sharing your feedback. I would be happy to personally discuss your stay in detail with you, and can be reached at aoberoi@trumphotels.com or 212.842.5525.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 28 March 2012

We loved this location subway close by to get to all attractions, great resturants bars and shopping all within a few blocks .On check in asked if we wanted upgrade to a suite for an extra $100 per night, decided money better spent on resturants and shopping. We had a corner room on the 35th floor fantastic view room large enough and very comfortable. I would stay here again and always request a corner room. Don't waste money on Breakfast, it was like a production line.

Room Tip: Corner room the higher for better views
1 Thank kesachris
Dear kesachris,

Thank you for staying at Trump SoHo and for sharing your feedback. I hope to see you again in the future.