New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Gansevoort Park Avenue NYC

Gansevoort Park Avenue NYC
Ranked #83 of 477 Hotels in New York City
West Orange, New Jersey
“Pretty place, but sub-par service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2012

The lobby was nice and the hotel room was nicely decorated, but not very spacious. The front desk staff were not very courteous. That was disappointing, considering this is supposed to be a fancy hotel with a lot of hype. Also, I had called the day after I checked out because I thought I forgot something in the room, and I kept getting told to call back later in the day. When I finally called again, they transferred me to security and on one answered. Again, I was disappointed with the service.

It was about a 10 minute walk to the Herald Square subway station, so at least that part was convenient.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Julie R
Hotel_Gansevoort, Social Media Manager at Gansevoort Park Avenue NYC, responded to this review, 8 November 2012
Dear pinkpearl143,

It is deeply disturbing to read this review and have discussed
your experiences with our team, taking note of this matter on the behalf of our future guests. We know that our hotel is particularly vibrant, but we never want our guests to feel uncomfortable or unhappy with their stay. You remain our top priority. We would love to offer you the true Gansevoort experience during your next stay, as well as some special amenities to make up for any unpleasant experiences you've had. Please contact Digital@GansevoortHotelGroup.com the next time you need to head into town.

@GansevoortPark

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (452)
Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2012

Loved this hotel for the stylish and spacious (as in jumbo-sized) Grand Deluxe rooms, with a step out balcony, lots of natural light, windows that open, storage space to unpack, a desk/table for dining in-room with multiple chairs and a fabulous bath with jacuzzi tub for two. I've stayed in a dozen hotels in all parts of the city. This is by far my new favorite!

Service was spot on. I am a pretty picky traveler, but with the exception of one less then friendly bar waitress, staff was warm, welcoming and helpful. I associated with the brand with the party crowd of wannabes. Sign me up anyway.

Room Tip: Grand deluxe facing Park Avenue.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Hotel_Gansevoort, Social Media Manager at Gansevoort Park Avenue NYC, responded to this review, 28 September 2012
Dear dianeNorthCarolina,

What a fantastic review. Thank so much for both visiting us and writing about your stay. In the future please contact our Community Manager at Digital@GansevortHotelGroup.com before you book. Also, be sure to follow us on Twitter at @GansevoortPark for special room rates, news and more. We hope to have you back soon.

Warm regards,

Chatham, NJ
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2012

Doors are very thin, so it sounded like Jersey Shore down the hall. We could hear the couple next door talking or with the TV on - really taking away from the romance of being alone. Any time someone was in the hallway, the noise seemed like the door was open and they were right in the room with you. The room was not as advertised - no Juliet balcony. Bed was saggy, so led to back aches.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Hotel_Gansevoort, Social Media Manager at Gansevoort Park Avenue NYC, responded to this review, 18 September 2012
Dear asdlkfjalskjfdaljk,

As a boutique hotel, we strive for the ultimate in comfort for all of our guests, You are no exception, and we apologize profusely that your stay didn't live up to expectations. We'd be honored to invite you back for the ultimate Gansevoort Park Avenue experience. Please contact our Community Manager, Anna@GansevoortHotelGroup.com, and she will be happy to make sure that your next trip exceeds your wildest dreams. And, yes, we'd be happy to make sure you have a firmer bed upon arrival.

We look forward to hearing from you,

Community Manager
Greenville, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2012 via mobile

My friend and I have stayed at the Gansevoort before and this year was just as special. We had a Double Double room on the 12th fl. Big room with 2 queen sized beds and larger bathroom with tub/shower. The view was directly above Park Ave. A complementary bottle of red wine with a note welcomed us. I have stayed at numerous hotels in NYC and as a former NYer, I have high standards for hotel location, room size, room type, amenities, etc. and the Gansevoort Park meets them easily. Nightly turn down service is a pleasant surprise as is the roof top pool and clubs. Do not be afraid of the hip vibe. All types of people are there (it does lean to the early twenties crowd) and fun is had by all. The pool has the most incredible view of the Empire State building and is ranked one of the top pools in the city. Pool and club access are granted easily to hotel guests (not always the case at such a desired location and you get to 'cut' the velvet line awaiting entry) and the staff is very accommodating. The staff accommodates your every need (although during this stay, the doorman stood 5' from the door and did not open it for us-call me a snob but I'm just telling you the issue I had). Bread and Butter across the street is a gem. They deliver 24/7 with a $10 minimum. They have a large variety of food and drinks. The neighborhood is great and close to all (the subway is across the street). I love this hotel and will be staying there again.

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank mishywishy1967
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2012 via mobile

I just spent a long holiday weekend at the Gansevoort on Park Ave. My best friend and I were celebrating our 40th birthdays:) I have nothing negative to say about our experience. The hotel is perfectly located in Midtown, just a block from the nearest subway station and directly across the street from Starbucks. There are also several restaurants and shops within a block of the hotel. It was incredibly convenient!! We enjoyed our spacious room with a balcony. And, it was so clean that it felt like home to me. I was also impressed with the housekeeping and turn-down service! The staff could not have been more friendly and helpful. I would definitely stay at the Gansevoort again!!!

• Stayed September 2012
Dear Heather G,

What a kind review. We love playing host to girl's weekends. In terms of grabbing a cup of coffee, during your next visit you must try a cappuccino at Asellina. We are sure you'd love it.

Thanks for the wonderful review,

Community Manager