“A trip to the ocean right here in NYC!”

National Geographic Encounter: Ocean Odyssey
Book In Advance
More Info
USD 43.01*
and up
National Geographic Encounter: Ocean Odyssey...
Ranked #23 of 172 Fun & Games in New York City
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Only in New York can you escape from the jaws of a 50-foot humpback whale, laugh through a twisting kelp forest maze, play with mischievous sea lions, and much more – all without getting wet! Dive into an ocean of fun at National Geographic Encounter: Ocean Odyssey, an immersive entertainment adventure in the heart of Times Square. Journey with your friends and family through the Pacific Ocean over one incredible night, where you’ll see, hear and feel what it’s like to live under the sea. Groundbreaking technology and stunning photorealistic animation bring you closer than ever to a battle between vicious squid, a luminous coral reef and more of nature’s rarest moments.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities, Baby buggy parking, Activities for young children, Stairs / lift
Reviewed 6 April 2018

My son and I visited Nat Geo Encounter: Ocean Odyssey on a weekday during spring break. Needless to say it was crowded at check-in and I'm glad we bought our tickets ahead of time. I wish we had made use of the coat check as it was a little warm. A hostess greeted us when we finally reached close to the front of the line. You travel with a small group of people, and this is a great idea to ensure we have a great experience and get to see and interact with everything within the encounter. You travel from room to room and each room has a special focus and interactive/immersive experience. We were "wowed" in every room, and my son (who is a tough audience to please) "ooohh"ed and "ahhhh"ed and even gasped a couple of times. My son said his favorite part was the last room which opens up to different computerized educational games and video screens. We played a game together to clean up the oceans and then he was able to use a touch screen monitor to read about different sea animals (and even get to hear the sounds they make - the sounds were filtered in from above us, which made it like a "surround sound"). Everything in the experience was well done and top notch. From the lighting to the graphics to the sound effects. We really felt like we took a trip into the ocean - without getting wet!! We had a GREAT time. I know some reviews have complained about the price. We spent under 2 hours at the encounter. Don't expect to stay all day there. PLEASE keep in mind "a portion of the proceeds from Encounter supports the National Geographic Society's Non-profit work in conservation, exploration, research and education". So part of the entrance fee is a donation!! I wouldn't complain about that! Also, I love that Nat Geo is showing us that we can learn from animals WITHOUT keeping them captive. After watching "Blackfish", I pledged to not visit places where animals are kept in cages or tanks. And if we can't experience REAL thing (diving into the ocean and seeing animals in their NATURAL HABITATS), well this experience was DEFINITELY second best!!

3  Thank Jodie Q
Jared S, Guest Relations Manager at National Geographic Encounter: Ocean Odyssey, responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2018

Thank you for the great review, Jodie! I am so thrilled to hear you enjoyed your experience with us. Your support means the world to us. Have a great day!

All reviews
"cool effects"
"interactive video"
"minute experience"

Reviewed 6 April 2018

The most interesting thing, perhaps, is reading the reviews of this on tripadvisor. We go along with the complaints about the lines. At least when you arrive there should be someone or something to advise how to enter, what the display is like in terms of organization. You are stopped as you enter with no explanation of what is happening...indeed we had "tickets" for an 11 AM show and had to wait while someone was explaining to others how they could buy tickets.
Finally we went "downstairs" for another stop to look at our tickets and check our bags.
Then another line to enter the "preview" room, which takes maybe 5-10 minutes, accommodating perhaps 25 people. So if there are 50 people on line to get in expect to go through maybe two shows to get in

I could go on. Was it interesting? Sure. Forget the price for a family of five, and the short length of the show. Being herded from room to room without the ability, should one want, to browse a bit through areas of display was uncomfortable.

Thank you for your review and for joining us at Encounter. My name is Jared Sutherland and I am the Chief Experience Officer for National Geographic Encounter. I am disappointed to hear that your experience with us did not exceed expectations. I would love to talk more about your visit and see what we can do to possibly make things right. Please feel free to email me at jsutherland@natgeoencounter.com and we can take things from there. Have a great day!

Reviewed 5 April 2018

In one word - Wow. The exhibit is fantastic and completely immersive; engulfing visitors below the ocean and capturing their full attention. Ocean Odyssey takes visitors on an underwater journey starting in the colorful Australian Great Barrier Reef all the way to California's giant kelp forest. As a diver I appreciated the technology and the effects all the more as it came pretty close to the real experience of diving the reef and the kelp forest (both of which I've had the great fortune to dive). This was a family visit and everyone in my group (of varying ages) loved it. Ocean Odyssey also clearly addresses the many threats to our ocean species, primarily with the growing tons of garbage washing out to sea and being ingested by most species as well as global warming. The experiences vary from touch screens to interaction with VR sea lions, giant interactive projections from floor to ceiling, labyrinth of giant kelp where most visitors enjoy getting a bit disoriented and brings out quite a bit of laughter, and educations presentations about the state of our oceans. There is an interactive exhibit with touch screens and information on different species and underwater systems across different regions of the globe which we also found pretty interesting and engaging. My husband (also a diver) has not yet been to the Ocean Odyssey and I look forward to bringing him and going through the exhibit a second time very soon.

Thank you for the great review and for joining us at Encounter. I am so excited to hear that you enjoyed your experience with us. We appreciate your support as we spread the word about ocean conservation. Have a great day!

Reviewed 4 April 2018 via mobile

I took my granddaughters (3, 7 & 10 years old) to see this exhibit along with their parents and we all loved it! It was beautifully done and educational. It was a last minute addition though our trip and we are all glad we found it. Don’t miss it!

Thank you for the great reviews, Debbie. I am so happy to see that you enjoyed your experience with us. Your support means the world to us. Have a great day!

See more reviews
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 4 April 2018 via mobile

Gave it 1 star because the 3D movie was awesome. But that’s about it and it was 5 minutes long. Way too expensive for what it is. First piece of advice - DO NOT GO DURING SPRING BREAK! We showed up 15 minutes before our ticket time. We waited outside in the rain for 15 minutes. Then we waited on the exit steps inside the building for 25 minutes. Then they finally let us down to have our tickets scanned where we waited for another 35 minutes. We didn’t get in until over an hour after our scheduled time!!! They bring you in with a group of about 30 people. In one room, the picture is projected on the floor and ceiling. Would have been cool if there weren’t so many people in the room and you could actually see. The guide was talking about stingrays on the floor but everyone was casting so many shadows, you could hardly see them. It’s not at all like it’s pictured on the website with only 3 people in the room. They move you along through the whole exhibit in a group, so if anyone is lingering you have to wait for them before you can go into the next area. In between the “movies” all there is to do is read info on the walls. The mirror “maze” is not a maze at all, but rather a path with mirrored walls. We left looking for something else to do afterwards in NYC, because we didn’t want to make that trip for such a short waste of time exhibit.

Jared S, Guest Relations Manager at National Geographic Encounter: Ocean Odyssey, responded to this reviewResponded 6 April 2018

Thank you for your review and for joining us at Encounter. My name is Jared Sutherland and I am the Chief Experience Officer for National Geographic Encounter. I am very disappointed to hear that your experience did not exceed your expectations. I would love to talk more about your visit and see what we can do to possibly make things right. Please feel free to email me at jsutherland@natgeoencounter.com and we can talk more there. Have a great day!