1,680 results
All reviews shared bathroom the empire state building private bath new york subway station rooms are small lexington ave double room around the corner times square few blocks central location walked everywhere the air conditioning location is great big apple sink
Reviewed 18 February 2016 via mobile

I stayed here for 4 nights. It was a fantastic location. Very short walk to subway and lots of good bars and restaurants nearby. I only needed my hotel room for sleeping purposes because I like to keep busy. It was extremely clean and well maintained and the price was excellent. Having to share a bathroom was not a problem for me and it was nice having the sink vanity in the room. I wouldn't hesitate to stay again and look forward to at some point.

Stayed: February 2016, travelled solo
1  Thank lctravels
Reviewed 16 February 2016

This is a nice little hotel in a great location. The rooms are clean and have the basics. For visitors who are seeing the city this is a good place with easy access to the subway, and an easy walk to Times Square and even down to the Park if you like longer walks. It is close to Penn Station (about 5 blocks) for those arriving by train from JFK or Newark or even Amtrak. The staff are friendly. The internet is not fast and doesn't have much capacity (at least on the 6th floor), so make your online bookings either before you arrive or from another site. It is hard to believe that something priced like this could be good - but it really is. Clean, safe and friendly.

• Stayed: February 2016, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Chris B
Reviewed 6 February 2016

We booked this hotel/hostel (as these types of hotels are known because of the shared bathroom) because it was the best rated in our price range. Stayed 4 night in dec 2015.
I was dubious but soooo pleasantly surprised.
The location was the best bit. But I was happy with the cleanliness too.

The room was small but cosy. We think we had one of the smaller ones but was fine for a few days stay. The bed so comfy. Had sink, TV, towels & wifi. Was right next to the bathroom, but this caused us no issues. The bathroom was so clean! Probably cleaner than mine at home haha. Cleaned a few times a day.
We hardly saw anyone in the hallways and it was quiet. We were on floor 2.

The only negative was the heating was on constantly. We asked for it to be turned down, which it was but it was still so warm. Was crazy weather for Dec anyway but became a little uncomfortable to sleep. The air on was a lil too loud.

There is a bank round the corner, dry cleaners, convenience shop and diner. Subway is close too.
The Empire State Building is like a 10 min walk. From this location you can pretty much walk anywhere in Manhattan in 30mins.
If you're planning to go to an outlet, go early and I would say avoid Jersey Gardens. It's ok but not the best.
A cab from JFK can take around 40mins and will cost around $60 ish. A yellow cab is great for this as they have set fees. Or Uber.

A really safe area. Lots around. Would definitely recommend

• Stayed: December 2015, travelled as a couple
9  Thank Kristine F
Reviewed 28 January 2016 via mobile

We stayed in Hotel 31 for 2 nights on New Years Eve and New Years Day.

Was a bit sceptical about the quality of he accommodation after reading a few not too brilliant reviews online but what can I say?

Check in was quick and easy, it's a very old building signified by the very old lift which I actually found quite impressive.

The only really negatives were that the decor was rather outdated and their was no fridge but for what you pay they are really only small points.

When we got into our room the heating was on full blast and it was boiling, spoke to the man at reception and he sent someone up to sort it.

Hotel was always quiet even during the time we stayed when you would expect it to be noisy.

We used the shared bathrooms but never had any issues with them, if someone was in the one on our floor we would just go to a different floor, they were always clean, sink in room was a bonus.

Tv channels could be a bit better but if you are in New York you shouldn't be spending long enough in the hotel room to watch tv!

Location is great, very close to the subway and also close to a mini mart and several good restaurants.

We used the dunkin donuts around the corner for breakfast. Make sure you give Brother Jimmy's BBQ a go as well, great BBQ at really good prices - all you can eat ribs on a Sunday!

To summarise I would recommend this to anyone who doesn't want to pay through the roof to stay in NYC, great location, great staff, great prices!

Stayed: December 2015, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Matt B
Reviewed 23 January 2016

I loved my stay here. We paid for a shared bathroom and were upgraded to a private one for the first two nights. The shared bathroom was always being cleaned and was never overly busy. The hotel is very clean and close to 33rd Street station.

Room Tip: We were in room 810 - FAB view of the Empire State Building
  • Stayed: January 2016, travelled as a couple