“An expensive dirty little inn”
Review of The Gracie Inn

and 1 more site!
The Gracie Inn
Ranked #59 of 78 New York City B&B and Inns
Hong Kong, China
“An expensive dirty little inn”
Reviewed 23 March 2012

This was my third time staying at this hotel. I’ve always preferred smaller boutique hotels over large hotels. I used to live on 83rd and York and still own my apartment there, so staying at the Gracie Inn is like staying at home. However, I was a bit disappointed in the level of hygiene at this hotel. Being a small boutique hotel, the attention to detail in cleanliness should be even higher than a larger hotel, because there are less rooms to clean. I don’t mind that there are less amenities (no robes, no slippers, only basic shampoo, conditioner, bar soap and lotion - that was not replaced when they were running low) in this hotel, but I absolutely do mind that the rooms are not clean. Paying over $300 a night and finding that the room is not clean is unacceptable.

I stayed in the Jr. Penthouse from Sat. March 17th to Weds. March 21st. Upon checking in I found that one of the hand towels in the bathroom had a spot of blood on it, that was not mine. I left it on the sink Sunday morning and found that it was still there lying on the side of the sink when I came back at night. The blankets – both in the downstairs room and the upstairs room had other people’s hair on it. I expect that the blankets, bedspread and sheets to be cleaned for every new guest. I was a bit disgusted about finding other people’s hair on the blankets. The bedspread on the bed in the downstairs room had a stain on it, which might have been an old stain. The upstairs bedroom should have had a mattress pad over the mattress.

The drain in the tub was a bit slow so after taking a shower, the soap left a film around the tub. I had expected that the tub would be cleaned every day, but found the tub still dirty after I came back. I was sitting in the bamboo reclining chair in the corner and got up to find that there was a huge mess of long blonde hair stuck to the chair. The hair was not mine. The carpets and the floor in the bathrooms were also never cleaned when I was there. I don’t mind being environmental and not having the towels and sheets changed every day, but guests should be given that option of whether they want to have clean towels. My towels were dirty – I had taken make-up off with them, so they were smudges of make-up on them. I would have loved to have fresh towels, but that was never an option. The chambermaid should look at the towels, see if they’re dirty and just automatically change them.

As for the breakfast, they got my order correct on Monday, but Tuesday, the banana was substituted for an apple. I’m allergic to apples, so I couldn’t eat it. If they had run out of bananas, they could have easily gone down the block to the 24-hour fruit vendor on the corner of 80th and York.

I really do think that if you’re paying over $300 for a room in NY, you would expect to have better attention to cleanliness. You don’t have to be a big hotel to have a high level of attention to details. The management needs to train the staff better. I was disappointed in my stay, however I am willing to give Gracie Inn another chance, only if improvements are made.

Room Tip: The Jr. Penthouse has 2 floors and two double beds. The bedroom upstairs has a 'greenhouse'...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
4 Thank ediehu

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Provincetown, Massachusetts
Reviewed 19 March 2012

I sent the following review to The Gracie Inn in reply to their inquiry for feedback. I share the feedback with Trip Advisor.
_________________________________________________________

Thank you for the stay.

So the feedback is combination positive and room for improvement.

Positive
Javier and the hotel staff were exceptional! Javier was personable and appropriately accommodating. He helped make the experience of arriving, and checking into Gracie Inn easy and inviting. The woman we met who delivered our morning breakfast, who we later saw cleaning rooms, was just as welcoming. Her smile was bright, and warmth genuine. For the staff alone we would consider returning.

Room for improvement.
The inn needs some TLC. The line between quaint or shabby chic, and just shabby was made clear with our stay. The your inn needs a new coat of paint in the public spaces, and the suite needs particular attention. Specifically the window blinds are bent, dusty and not up to par. The kitchenette doors need immediate replacing, and needs to be stocked with up-to-date tools and accessories. There was only one spoon - seriously, one spoon? The breakfast options were nicely expansive, and our pre-order arrived on time and complete. We did not receive a menu selection our second evening, and decided to forgo chasing one down. I could list many more things on this "room for improvement" list, but I think you get the idea.

I do hope to return to NY in the coming months, and will likely not consider Gracie Inn. It would be nice to see Javier and the rest of the staff, but I think there other Inns and locations in NY with more attractive accommodations.

All the best,

Sean Patrick Harrington
www.previsecare.com
Previse Chief Oracle & Enthusiast
Provincetown, Cape Cod, Massachusetts

Room Tip: No comment
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
4 Thank SeanNomad
New York City, New York
Reviewed 28 February 2012

After days and weeks looking for a good hotel to stay I decided to book at the Gracie Inn since my best friend spoke to me about it. I have to say I loved this place. its a really small hotel located in the east side of manhattan, very nice location with good restaurants around. the staff there i think by the name of javer was very nice and helpful. Would definitely stay again for my next visit to ny,

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Angie R
Silver Spring, Maryland
Reviewed 28 February 2012

If I could give this INN no circles I would. Do not stay here.The Inn was nothing like the pictures on the internet. My room was dirty and dingy with broken furniture and blinds that did not fit the windows, I stayed there during a cold spell with the lowest temps reported in NYC to date. There was not heat in the studio for 2 days and they lied about it. I was stuck in the elevator between floors because the cold effected the motor. THat was followed by unbearable heat in the unit with no way to control it. I stayed a week and had 2 days of normal temps in the room. When I complained upon departure I was told that incoming guests would pay a lower rate because of the problems. THey would not give me a refund for the freezing days and when I complained to VIsa they told Visa that I had opened the windows and that's why it was cold! IIf only the windows could have been opened! DO not stay in this hotel and if you do do not pay until you have seen the room in advance and checked its heating system. Terrible place! DIrty, dingy, broken furniture and lying manager.

Room Tip: See it before yuregister
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
4 Thank bubbe_12

Travellers are raving about these New York City hotels

Carlsbad California
Reviewed 27 February 2012

After looking for a reasonably price hotel to stay for 6 friends in New York City. We decided to try the Gracie Inn. This property may not be for everyone, it's a little funky and old. But we loved it. My husband and I had a studio, which looked out on a tree lined 81st street. Our friends shared a 2 bedroom suite, that had a charming small balcony where we gathered. It includes breakfast which you choose from a menu when you check in, and is brought to your door. The staff could not have been nicer and more helpful. They were doing renovations right after we left. The location is great. Right down the street from the park where Gracie Mansion is housed. About 6 straight blocks from Central Park and the Metropolitan Museum. The walk along the East River is only one block away. We found good food in the neighborhood, of course it's New York City. If you are looking for a perfect bed and a perfect bathroom, this place is not for you. It's also 7 blocks from the subway.But very easy to get cabs outside the door. I don't know really how to describe it but it's like staying with your favorite Aunt, comfortable, warm, quiet and inviting, if a bit eccentric. I would stay here anytime and we are hoping to stay again.

Room Tip: The room we had facing 81st Street was very quiet. The staff is very helpful when you reserve and w...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends