“Quirky and original place to stay in a brilliant location”

Incentra Village House
Ranked #15 of 77 New York City B&B and Inns
Kingston upon Thames, United Kingdom
“Quirky and original place to stay in a brilliant location”
Reviewed 8 February 2012

I stayed at the Incentra, in the Washington room, for a couple of nights on a business trip. The room was comfortable and charmingly and definitely non-corporately furnished. There was plenty of space to hang up clothes in what looked like an under-stair cupboard. The shower room was small but perfectly adequate and the room well heated. Despite being more or less at street level and facing onto the street I didn't find it particularly noisy.
There was a small tv albeit the choice of tv channels was a bit dispiriting. There was nothing much worth watching and only one news channel but I guess one can't blame the hotel for the former. There was actually also a small set of stairs to an upper level where there was a low ceilinged space with another double bed. Romantic if a bit inconvenient - and OK for kids I imagine.
The electrics had a slightly jury rigged impression and the lamps weren't all that easy to work out how to switch on (the table lamp needed switching on at the bulb not using the switch on the flex as I erroneously thought). My own phone worked OK but my colleague's, in another room, did not for the entire period of his stay - longer than mine. I think he also had wifi trouble. But the charm of the room more than made up for these irritations and my wifi did at least function.
The hotel was well located near a subway on 14th street and with a range of boutiques, cafes and restaurants within a few minutes walk. I just wish I'd got to try the artisanal gelato on sale somewhere on Bleecker Street! No breakfast was served as there was a small kitchenette, which is probably better for longer stay residents, and some guidance on good places to breakfast would have been helpful. But breakfast isn't really an issue in New York.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
  • Turkish first
Trier
Reviewed 1 December 2011

I have stayed at the Incentra many times for almost 20 years, and I still want to come back. It is our home away from home. The guys who run the guest house have been there since a long time, which I appreciate very much. Thank you all for your hospitality!

All the rooms in the house are different. The kitchens and the bathrooms have been refurbished recently. The guest house is in the West Village, which has become quite fashionable in the last few years (not always a good thing!). There is no breakfast being served, but next door is the wonderful diner called "La Bonbonniere" . Both places are for me Greenwich-Village-as-it-used-to-be institutions and I hope they will remain there for a long time!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank marwag
Sarasota, Florida
Reviewed 15 November 2011

What a find! I come to NYC all the time and usually stay with friends. Vincent greeted me and checked me out at the end of my stay and couldn't be nicer.The room was large and very comfortable, with a microwave, frig, big sink, etc. My room was facing the street and was VERY quiet for a city room. The location is GREAT, literally a three minute walk to the subway station, and just one or two stops from EVERYTHING. The best thing is that the pics on their website look exactly like what they are. This is a GREAT place to stay in NYC.

Room Tip: I stayed in Lahore room, at the very top of a several flights of a narrow stairway - I liked being a...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank NinaTee
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 23 October 2011

I have been sojourning in New York by myself for years. I love spending all day walking around in the city and meeting friends. What look for after those long, hectic days is a quiet, clean, comfortably appointed spot where I can unwind, write and rest.
Enter the Incentra Village.
The Garden Room has everything I need, plus exclusive access to a mini garden that is perfect for a last breath of evening air before bed.
Love, love, love!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank elise_477
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 4 October 2011

My husband and I together with our friends stayed at Incentra Villiage House. We had the garden room, which was very spacious and clean. There was a little coutyard which was great as we sat outside on most afternoons and relaxed with a few beers. The area is fantastic with boutiques, cafes and restaurants just minutes away. Easy 3 min walk to subway and not far from the Hudson river and Meat packaging district. The staff were fantastic and were very helpful with knowledge of the local area and New York in general. The rooms were maintained every day, with the kitchen and bathroom facilities exellent. Such good value for charming accomodation and location.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends