“Excellent stay- will return”

Holiday Inn Express New York City Times Square
Ranked #276 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Port Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Excellent stay- will return”
Reviewed 9 April 2012

Well what can i say that has not been said already. I took my time looking a various hotels and reading dozens upon dozens of reviews before selecting this hotel. I booked 2 Kingsize rooms for myself and my wife and also my sister and her husband. Before we arrived my wife emailed ahead looking for a bakers close by as she wanted to buy a cake for my birthdaywhich I would be celebrating during my stay. A huge thanks to Mike at reception who upon replying to my wife's request he upgraded our room and left a birthday message on our bed a fantastic customer experience.
The hotel itself is very clean and is in a great location and is within walking distance to a lot of the attractions including Empire state, Times square, Central Park.
The complimentary breakfast was excellent and really set you up for the day and the bonus was having free Wifi allowing us to keep in touch with our family back home.
We really enjoyed our stay and would recommend to everyone.

Room Tip: We stayed on the 34th floor and had a great view of the Empire State building and downtown Manhattan...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Scapaflow2469
HIXTSFOM, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express New York City Times Square, responded to this review, 15 April 2012
Thank you! We enjoyed reading your review and would like to thank you for generously sharing your experience with other travelers. Here at the Holiday Inn Express Times Square, we are dedicated to exceptional guest service and settle for nothing less. We hope that you and your party experienced this service to its fullest during your time here. We are humbled that you recommended us to other travelers and thank you for doing so. We sincerely look forward to your return!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (455)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Bedfordshire, England
Reviewed 9 April 2012

if you want a basic hotel in a fairly reasonable central location then this sort of fits the bill, adequate seems to be the appropriate description. There are no refinements, there is for instance no bar, and breakfast is in a crowded noisy room undersized for the number of guests.

There are four rooms per floor, and it goes up to the 36th floor. Problem is there are only two elevators. Nine of us were staying there, and over those four days the record waiting time was 16 min. It became a joke each morning amongst us. The problem is people start doing things like pressing the up and down button as a way of guaranteeing getting into an elevator even if it was going in the wrong direction.

Although it calls itself "Times Square" don't get the feeling that it's a 30 second walk from the front door, but it is probably reachable in 5 to 10 min walking.

Overall therefore I wouldn't go back to this hotel, but I guess my company used it as the price was reasonable if you just want to be able to get your head down to sleep, and then go to work the following morning, for a few days.

Room Tip: There was a nice Italian restaurant across the road which has a bar Mercado. Can substitute for the...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Alan H
Hello! Thank you for taking the time to share you experience with us. We really appreciate your honesty and candidness in describing your stay, but we are disappointed that we were not able to fully satisfy your needs. Because we are an “Express” hotel, there are few additional amenities such as a bar, a lounge or pool, but we like to make up for that fact by having exceptional guest service. We do apologize for the long elevator waits you experienced but are glad to see that you were able to find humor in the situation as we are well aware of the predicament that is caused by having 2 elevators servicing 210 rooms. Despite all of this, we sincerely hope you will reconsider staying with us again. We feel that in spite of some unavoidable shortcomings, we always overcome with great guest service and value. Thank you for staying with us and we wish you safe travels!
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 9 April 2012 via mobile

On our first trip to New York City we wanted to choose a place reasonably cheap and accessible from the key tourist attractions the city has to offer. Holiday Inn Express Times Square met these two criteria to perfection. Sure, the rooms are small but who wants to stay in a hotel room all day when in New York? The breakfast option was okay for a quick start to the day, if only a little busy. The room itself was clean and well appointed, and quiet enough on the 12th floor to get a good night's sleep. A great place to stay for a short trip to NYC.

Stayed December 2011
Hi Matthew! Thank you so much for the great review! We really appreciate your comments and hope they will benefit the Trip Advisor community. We’re thrilled that you chose our hotel for your first visit to NYC and we hope it wasn’t your last! Next time you stay with us, hopefully the breakfast won’t be so busy too. Thank you again for staying with us and we hope to see you again soon!
Fairfax, VA
Reviewed 6 April 2012

When planning my trip to NYC I wanted to stay at an InterContinental Hotels property so that I could use a large amount of Priority Club points that I had accumulated over the past year. I also wanted a hotel that was reasonably close to Penn Station. I've always had good luck with Holiday Inn Express in the past so when this property came up in my searches I was willing to book based on previous experiences and the reviews here on TripAdvisor.

This hotel is not at Times Square. It is located on W 39th Street between 8th and 9th Avenues. The property is about a 10 minute walk up 8th Avenue from Penn Station, about a 10 minute walk via 42nd Street to the core of Times Square and a few blocks from the Port Authority Bus Terminal. Subway access can be had at Penn Station, Times Square and the Port Authority Bus Terminal. I was fine being away from the hubbub of Times Square itself. I preferred being on a quieter (for NYC standards) street.

The rooms were quiet, clean, well kept and very comfortable. They are standard Holiday Inn Express but on a much smaller scale. The has to be the smallest hotel room I have ever stayed in. However given what one could end up with in NYC I was very impressed. There are only six rooms per floor so there wasn't a huge potential for noise. The first night I was there a family of six was staying across the hall. Once I had the door closed and I was in my room I never heard them. Sleep came easily which was welcome after days of constant touring around the city. In the morning a standard Holiday Inn Express breakfast was available. This is a huge savings in my book as a standard breakfast in NYC can be quite expensive.

Staff at the hotel was friendly and helped me with all of the questions that I had no matter how trivial they might have seemed to a native New Yorker. Their help gave me the information I needed to get around the city with a minimum of troubles. This included email correspondences I had with Mike prior to my arrival. His answers allowed me to pre-plan important aspects of the trip. Ever staff member from the managers to the housekeeping staff greeted the guests. This made me feel very welcome.

I do have a couple of things that kept me from giving the hotel a 5 of 5 rating:

- I had a very difficult time keeping the temperature stable in my room. It seemed that whatever mode the climate control was in - heat or AC - if you changed the temperature a few degrees either way it would turn on the opposite of what was on to warm or cool the room. I would have preferred the system just turn off and wait like a home system would do. I will say that over the two days I was there the outdoor temperature varied greatly so the system may have been confused.

- Both mornings of my stay the continental breakfast was not ready at 6:30 AM which is the stated opening time. They were still setting up. People were waiting each day. I would recommend to the hotel that they start setting up at 6:00 AM to be ready for the early birds.

I enjoyed my stay very much at the Holiday Inn Express Times Square. Comfortable rooms, friendly staff and a location that worked well for me. The next time I am in the city I will definitely put this property at the top of my list.

Room Tip: Higher up "City View" rooms have a nice view of the Hudson River and the New Jersey skylin...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank TravellerMH
Thank you very much for sharing your feedback about your recent stay with us! We appreciate you being a loyal Priority Club member and are honored that you chose our hotel to redeem your Reward Nights. We were delighted to see that you enjoyed your stay and appreciate you researching our hotel prior to your arrival. We are disappointed that you experienced a few hiccups during your stay but are thankful that you brought these items to our attention. We will definitely utilize your comments to improve our services for future guest. Once again, thank you for staying with us and we hope to see you again soon!
fredrikstad
Reviewed 3 April 2012

The hotel was very good:
-Breakfast included was nice
-Close to Times Square but the area was quiet (made it possible to sleep:-)
-Room was (from many here at tripadvisor) told to be very small, but compared to other hotels I have visited in NYC, it was not that small
-Hotel looked new and fresh
-Serviceminded staff!

What I did miss: Safety deposit box in the room, better elevator capacity and bacon at every breakfast.

Room Tip: If you do not want a room with cityview, choose a lower level room. Then you can use the stairs inst...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank andy k
Hi Andy! Thank you for reviewing your stay with us! We hope that everything exceeded your expectations and that you enjoyed your time here in NYC. We really appreciate you taking the time to share your comments with other travelers. We hope you will choose our hotel for your next visit to NYC! Safe travels!