Holiday Inn Express New York City Times Square
Ranked #263 of 464 Hotels in New York City
Bedfordshire, England
“Adequate”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2012

if you want a basic hotel in a fairly reasonable central location then this sort of fits the bill, adequate seems to be the appropriate description. There are no refinements, there is for instance no bar, and breakfast is in a crowded noisy room undersized for the number of guests.

There are four rooms per floor, and it goes up to the 36th floor. Problem is there are only two elevators. Nine of us were staying there, and over those four days the record waiting time was 16 min. It became a joke each morning amongst us. The problem is people start doing things like pressing the up and down button as a way of guaranteeing getting into an elevator even if it was going in the wrong direction.

Although it calls itself "Times Square" don't get the feeling that it's a 30 second walk from the front door, but it is probably reachable in 5 to 10 min walking.

Overall therefore I wouldn't go back to this hotel, but I guess my company used it as the price was reasonable if you just want to be able to get your head down to sleep, and then go to work the following morning, for a few days.

Room Tip: There was a nice Italian restaurant across the road which has a bar Mercado. Can substitute for the...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Alan H
HIXTSFOM, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express New York City Times Square, responded to this review, 15 April 2012
Hello! Thank you for taking the time to share you experience with us. We really appreciate your honesty and candidness in describing your stay, but we are disappointed that we were not able to fully satisfy your needs. Because we are an “Express” hotel, there are few additional amenities such as a bar, a lounge or pool, but we like to make up for that fact by having exceptional guest service. We do apologize for the long elevator waits you experienced but are glad to see that you were able to find humor in the situation as we are well aware of the predicament that is caused by having 2 elevators servicing 210 rooms. Despite all of this, we sincerely hope you will reconsider staying with us again. We feel that in spite of some unavoidable shortcomings, we always overcome with great guest service and value. Thank you for staying with us and we wish you safe travels!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (450)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2012 via mobile

On our first trip to New York City we wanted to choose a place reasonably cheap and accessible from the key tourist attractions the city has to offer. Holiday Inn Express Times Square met these two criteria to perfection. Sure, the rooms are small but who wants to stay in a hotel room all day when in New York? The breakfast option was okay for a quick start to the day, if only a little busy. The room itself was clean and well appointed, and quiet enough on the 12th floor to get a good night's sleep. A great place to stay for a short trip to NYC.

Stayed December 2011
Hi Matthew! Thank you so much for the great review! We really appreciate your comments and hope they will benefit the Trip Advisor community. We’re thrilled that you chose our hotel for your first visit to NYC and we hope it wasn’t your last! Next time you stay with us, hopefully the breakfast won’t be so busy too. Thank you again for staying with us and we hope to see you again soon!
Fairfax, VA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2012

When planning my trip to NYC I wanted to stay at an InterContinental Hotels property so that I could use a large amount of Priority Club points that I had accumulated over the past year. I also wanted a hotel that was reasonably close to Penn Station. I've always had good luck with Holiday Inn Express in the past so when this property came up in my searches I was willing to book based on previous experiences and the reviews here on TripAdvisor.

This hotel is not at Times Square. It is located on W 39th Street between 8th and 9th Avenues. The property is about a 10 minute walk up 8th Avenue from Penn Station, about a 10 minute walk via 42nd Street to the core of Times Square and a few blocks from the Port Authority Bus Terminal. Subway access can be had at Penn Station, Times Square and the Port Authority Bus Terminal. I was fine being away from the hubbub of Times Square itself. I preferred being on a quieter (for NYC standards) street.

The rooms were quiet, clean, well kept and very comfortable. They are standard Holiday Inn Express but on a much smaller scale. The has to be the smallest hotel room I have ever stayed in. However given what one could end up with in NYC I was very impressed. There are only six rooms per floor so there wasn't a huge potential for noise. The first night I was there a family of six was staying across the hall. Once I had the door closed and I was in my room I never heard them. Sleep came easily which was welcome after days of constant touring around the city. In the morning a standard Holiday Inn Express breakfast was available. This is a huge savings in my book as a standard breakfast in NYC can be quite expensive.

Staff at the hotel was friendly and helped me with all of the questions that I had no matter how trivial they might have seemed to a native New Yorker. Their help gave me the information I needed to get around the city with a minimum of troubles. This included email correspondences I had with Mike prior to my arrival. His answers allowed me to pre-plan important aspects of the trip. Ever staff member from the managers to the housekeeping staff greeted the guests. This made me feel very welcome.

I do have a couple of things that kept me from giving the hotel a 5 of 5 rating:

- I had a very difficult time keeping the temperature stable in my room. It seemed that whatever mode the climate control was in - heat or AC - if you changed the temperature a few degrees either way it would turn on the opposite of what was on to warm or cool the room. I would have preferred the system just turn off and wait like a home system would do. I will say that over the two days I was there the outdoor temperature varied greatly so the system may have been confused.

- Both mornings of my stay the continental breakfast was not ready at 6:30 AM which is the stated opening time. They were still setting up. People were waiting each day. I would recommend to the hotel that they start setting up at 6:00 AM to be ready for the early birds.

I enjoyed my stay very much at the Holiday Inn Express Times Square. Comfortable rooms, friendly staff and a location that worked well for me. The next time I am in the city I will definitely put this property at the top of my list.

Room Tip: Higher up "City View" rooms have a nice view of the Hudson River and the New Jersey skylin...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank TravellerMH
Thank you very much for sharing your feedback about your recent stay with us! We appreciate you being a loyal Priority Club member and are honored that you chose our hotel to redeem your Reward Nights. We were delighted to see that you enjoyed your stay and appreciate you researching our hotel prior to your arrival. We are disappointed that you experienced a few hiccups during your stay but are thankful that you brought these items to our attention. We will definitely utilize your comments to improve our services for future guest. Once again, thank you for staying with us and we hope to see you again soon!
fredrikstad
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2012

The hotel was very good:
-Breakfast included was nice
-Close to Times Square but the area was quiet (made it possible to sleep:-)
-Room was (from many here at tripadvisor) told to be very small, but compared to other hotels I have visited in NYC, it was not that small
-Hotel looked new and fresh
-Serviceminded staff!

What I did miss: Safety deposit box in the room, better elevator capacity and bacon at every breakfast.

Room Tip: If you do not want a room with cityview, choose a lower level room. Then you can use the stairs inst...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank andy k
Hi Andy! Thank you for reviewing your stay with us! We hope that everything exceeded your expectations and that you enjoyed your time here in NYC. We really appreciate you taking the time to share your comments with other travelers. We hope you will choose our hotel for your next visit to NYC! Safe travels!
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2012

The location was great because of how close it was to Times Square. It's close to a Port Authority Bus, 42nd St- Times Square subway station, and if you drove into the city like my group, a parking garage is located on the same street as the hotel. However a staff member, Juicy, recommended a more reasonably priced parking garage that was only one street over. Speaking of the staff, the staff is excellent and always friendly! I worked with Juicy at the front desk and she gave us wonderful tips on where to park, where to eat, and navigating the subway. They also do a great job keeping the hotel rooms very clean and well stocked. The rooms are small but that didn't bother me at all because in the end what we wanted was a secure, clean place and we got that and more! Reasonably priced when you factor in location (and reviews about cleanliness) when comparing staying here to other hotels in the city. I definitely recommend this place!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Jeany B
HIXTSFOM, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express New York City Times Square, responded to this review, 3 April 2012
Hi Jeany! Thank you so much for staying with us and for writing such a great review of our hotel! We are thrilled to see you enjoyed your stay and your time here in NYC! It’s great to see that our location was convenient for all of your activities too. Thank you for mentioning Juicy in your review. We love it when our employees get recognized on Trip Advisor! Thank you for recommending us to other travelers and we sincerely hope to have you stay with us again soon!