“Good location and great staff, but needs some improvements”

Broadway at Times Square Hotel
Ranked #185 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 19 May 2012

The location of the hotel was great, really close to Times Square! And the staff was wonderful, they were nice and always ready to help.

On the other hand, rooms were small and the breakfast was not nice, the was too artificial. Plus, the breakfast room was tiny, there wasn't enough space for all guests.

But what bothered me the most was the cab service to the airport. I used it twice as not everybody in my family was leaving at the same time and I had completely different experiences. The first time I had a nice driver that posed no problems at all. But the second one was rude (he dropped my suitcase on the ground before putting it on the trunk) and also tried to charge extras for the ride. When I told him that I had paid part of the amount to the hotel (something the hotel requests when you book a cab), he told me that I did not have to pay anything to the hotel and I would have to pay the full amount in cash to him. As I refused to pay and said that I would call the hotel to discuss about this he used an ethnic slur and left.

Although this person was not an employee of the hotel, the cab company was referred to me by the hotel and everything was arranged by the reception desk, so I think that the hotel is partly responsible and that they should be more careful when choosing their partners.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Fernando84
applecorehotelsstaff, Operations Associate at Broadway at Times Square Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 May 2012

Dear Fernando84,
Thank you for your review. We’re glad you enjoyed the location and staff and hope you had a great time in New York City. We are sorry you didn’t like the breakfast. We continually reevaluate our free offerings and try to add as much variety as possible. We will also be upgrading the lobby area soon and expanding the breakfast area too.
We are sorry about your experience with the cab company. As you mentioned, they are not our employees, but we will certainly look into the problem.
We hope you will stay with us again on your next visit to New York City.
Liz from Apple Core Hotels

There are newer reviews for Broadway at Times Square Hotel

Reviewed 14 May 2012

I booked this hotel in Oct for a May trip. Because I am not familiar with the area I asked for a room with a view. I was told that some of the rooms had great views and you could even see Times Square. A few days before our trip I called the hotel to inquire about something unrelated and was told that the hotel has no views except neighboring roof tops. I was so disappointed but we kept the reservation because it was too late to change the reservation and we were only sleeping there.

In all honesty, this hotel is the perfect location. It is within a block or two of Times Square, lots of restaurants, lots of shops and the theatres. We walked to everything.

The hotel was nice and the rooms were a little small. Honestly we had a room in the "03" stack and we were satisfied. The beds were very comfortable, appeared clean and the bathroom was actually pretty big. (for NYC that is)

The breakfast was okay- yogurt, fruit, toast, bagels, cereal, frozen waffles etc. The area was clean with a few tables and chairs. Overall it was an average hotel and I would stay there again for the location

Room Tip: Despite being told by someone in reservations that we could request a room with a view of Times Squa...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank travelinmama1731
Reviewed 10 May 2012

I stayed in May with my wife and 5 year old daughter. Wow. What a deal. Location is excellent and room was just enough to make the trip a great one. In room 508, we were in the back of the hotel and it was very quiet. My daughter even caught a mid day nap between the Statue of Liberty and the Lion King. Staff was friendly and breakfast was perfect. Cable tv seemed not to work but we didn't use the tv at all. If you're on vacation and want to get around NYC, this is a great option. I'll stay again for sure before I even look elsewhere.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank jim w
Reviewed 7 May 2012

This is not the Ritz -- but it IS a small, very friendly, reasonable hotel exactly where I want to be: half a block east of Times Square. My room on the 4th floor looked out on an air shaft -- meaning very, very quiet (apart from the pigeons). The sole elevator holds just five people, so sometimes slow to arrive (and unpleasant for strollers) -- but from the 4th floor, a quick walk down the stairs. The included breakfast is like a Hampton Inn but with better coffee. All the front desk staff are very pleasant and helpful, but a special thanks to Julio and Giovanni. I've been coming to New York for 20 years to go to the theater, and this is by far the best hotel overalll -- for the price -- I've ever stayed in. I'll be back.

Room Tip: Ask for a do-not-disturb door insert if you don't want housekeeping knocking your door at 9 AM...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank effieclyde
Reviewed 7 May 2012

The big plus for this hotel is that it is only a few steps from Times Square and a reasonable price for NYC. It was clean and comfortable and the staff were friendly and helpful. We had a faulty safe in our room and we were moved to a nearby room without any problem.
The breakfast was was very good and included some hot items such as eggs and sausage patties.

Room Tip: We asked for a quiet room and got a view of a brick wall, not unusual in NYC, and it was quiet exact...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple