“good fresh sushi, nice Japanese ambience”

Kouzan Japanese Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Kouzan Japanese Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3,383 of 14,798 Restaurants in New York City
Price range: USD 30 - USD 30
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighbourhood: Upper West Side
Cross street: Between 93rd and 94th Streets
Transit: 1, 2 & 3 trains to 96th Street.
Reviewed 22 December 2016

On a cold NY night we had dinner at Kouzan and it was very good. We tried several appetizers - shumai, gyoza and miso eggplant - all very tasty. I had the sushi bento that came with a delicious miso soup and salad. The sushi was fresh and the accompaniments were very good. My friends had the jumbo sushi - generous and fresh - the tempura - a large serve also cooked well and not greasy - and the udon noodles - also tasty. We also had desserts that were delicious - especially the chocolate truffle. Not the best Japanese I've ever had, but very good and reasonable prices. Nice ambience and reasonable service.

Reviewed 12 December 2016

Kouzan was a recent venue for lunch with friends. It is convenient to the the 96th Street subway for the # 1, # 2 and # 3 lines on the corner of 93rd Street and Amsterdam Avenue. A full bar was available, and I welcomed the special draft beer on the menu. Spacious and comfortable, we had edamame, which we opened for delectable warmly salted peas. That was followed by hot miso soup with plenty of tofu, seaweed, and scallion. My appetizer was the shrimp and vegetable tempura, which was too oily for my tastes. The crunch was overwhelmed by the oily taste that clung to the batter. My entree was the sushi special which was an assortment of sushi with California tobiko roll, salmon avocado roll, crunchy spicy tuna roll and yellowtail scallion. The fish was good, but there was much more rice than fish on each roll. Dessert was delicious Green Tea ice cream. Service was uneven when it came to knowing which dish was ordered by which person. Otherwise, it was a relaxing lunch in a relaxing part of Manhattan.

1  Thank stardustdrive
Reviewed 16 September 2016

Well...Where do I start..I guess we'll start with the service.Thoughtful ,kind in their mannerisms,respectful...Sounds like the Boy Scouts!.
Now for the food. Our friend ordered sushi, and it looked fresh and tasty.(I'm not a fan.) My wife ordered shrimp tempura,and there was a goodly pile, along with vegetables, last but not least,I chose the chicken teriyaki with miso soup piping hot! All entries come with white rice that is done perfectly.Won't forget this place!!

Reviewed 16 September 2016

When you don't want to spend hundreds of dollars but still want excellent Japanese food, this is the place to go on the Upper West Side. I especially like their draft beers which are crisp, fresh and authentic. Try it. They also have excellent take out service, but go to the restaurant where the service is excellent.

Reviewed 21 June 2016 via mobile

Stopped by in an afternoon, desperate fir a cold beer after another day walking ilex taking on this great city.
Ok it was a quiet afternoon but with little fuss we were given an outside table and two Sapora beers in frosted glass in 80 degree heat. Sheer bliss. Judging by locals and regulars I'd say the food must be great.